Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-23-2003, 02:21 PM

Default Avid pc to PT mac

What is the most reliable way , (using removable scsi drives) to bring the media composer omf export ,from the Avid station (pc) to the PT station (mac) ?
The point is : Is it possible to mount a scsi pc drive on the mac, or should I go with a hfs mac drive to the avid pc station ?

BTW is there any way to initialize a dos hard disk on a mac ? I think I did it ,for some mo cartridges a few years ago, but I just couldn't do it now for a scsi hd ( using FWB or apple tool)

thanks a lot

phil
Old 01-23-2003, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Avid pc to PT mac

Well, depending on the size, you could burn it to a CD even. That should work. That's how I get most of my OMF's from Macbased Avid's to my system. (PC and Fairlight).

Living the dream.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:20 AM

Thank's Henchman,

I taught about this possibility, it's fine to. But in this case i'm not sure it will be flexible enough.... Going 10 times a day from the edit rooms to the mix room. It's for a tv (news) training center and they're allways hurry.

Any other experiences ?
Old 01-24-2003, 05:56 AM

i know our avids here are set up such that other folks in the studio can ftp to them. if you've got any kind of a local network, you may be able to set up an ftp connection between the computers. sorry that i don't know more details on how to, but just a brain storm for you...

good luck!

-adam-
Old 01-24-2003, 06:22 AM

we have pc based Avids and Mac PT, and we actually do the FTP thing here too as a temporary fix. you can easily setup a file sharing drive and access it from either platform via Ethernet network.

kP
Old 01-24-2003, 09:01 AM

I sometimes receive a jazz cartridge (MAC HFS formatted) from the PC Media-composer.
The guy makes me an OMF document with separated audio from the OMF document.
To be able to open it from the Mac side, you need Digi Translator version 2.0.

On the PC side they have Mac Opener that allows the PC NT to mount and read Mac formatted disks(HD, removable and CD-R)

If you send back audio on the NT platform, it has to be AIFF ow .Wave filetypes.

Hopt it helps! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2003, 03:44 PM

thank you for answering,
seems to be many ways to do the trick. I will avoid the network solutions, because i'm not sure there will be any serious network management in that place. Could soon be a mess...
Mac opener seems to be a cool solution. I also heard about Mac drive (same kind of software).
I'm not sure, but if your only transfering from pc to mac, maybe you don't need anything at all. (exept digitranslator)
A cartridge formated on a pc is readable on a mac or am I wrong ? Is the same thing for a hd ?

thanks
phil
Old 01-27-2003, 04:44 PM

Quote:
A cartridge formated on a pc is readable on a mac or am I wrong ? Is the same thing for a hd ?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This is logical but I've never tried.

Not expensive solution to try! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]