Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2009, 06:21 PM

Default Can I record via Optical Cable and SODIF at the same time

Hey guys, I'm on the 003 PT_08 PC.

Is it possible to record through my optical input from one mic pre and through my SPIDF through a different mic pre at the same time?

I've been tweaking the i/o for a bit now and can only get the pre hooked up through optical to come through.

Am I dreaming or have I overlooked something?

Joe Meek OneQ = Optical Out
Line 6 X3 = SPDIF Out

Thanks for your time!
-Monty
Old 06-06-2009, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Can I record via Optical Cable and SODIF at the same time

According to the Getting Started guide:

" Only one S/PDIF input pair can be used at a time. For example, if you use the Optical In for S/PDIF data, you cannot use the RCA inputs. At 96 kHz, it is recommended that you use the S/PDIF (RCA) port Digidesign recommends high-quality audio grade optical cable for all optical connections."

So I'm assuming you can use the Optical In for 8 channels of Lightpipe while using the RCA inputs for S/PDIF data at the same time. I'm hoping to buy a digital pre soon so I will be able to confirm this. Does anyone know for sure?
Old 06-06-2009, 07:23 PM

Thanks for the reply, it seems what your quoting says I cannot. Thanks for the search buddy!
Old 06-06-2009, 09:09 PM

You can record from both the 'adat' and spdif at the same time. That's how you get 18 inputs at once, four pre's and four line in's on the 003 and 8 more inputs through adat plus two through the spdif.
You can use any combination of those inputs at one time, you just can't exceed 18 inputs at one time.
Good luck,
Dave
Old 06-06-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northridgedave View Post
You can record from both the 'adat' and spdif at the same time. That's how you get 18 inputs at once, four pre's and four line in's on the 003 and 8 more inputs through adat plus two through the spdif.
You can use any combination of those inputs at one time, you just can't exceed 18 inputs at one time.
Good luck,
Dave
Right.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-07-2009, 05:03 AM

Great - that's what I thought. The manual is just a little confusing when it says you can only use one input or the other for "S/PDIF" - but since using ADAT for the optical input is NOT "S/PDIF" then you can use the optical input for ADAT and the RCA inputs for S/PDIF concurrently.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:14 AM

Thanks for the replies! I'm gonna keep hacking away at this before I request reinforcements.