Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2009, 12:33 PM

Default Issues with FireWire on Digi 002 Rack

*Just for clarification, I am running Vista Home Premium 64-bit with an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz processor and 8 GB of DDR2-800 Ram. The Digi 002 is connecting through a Digidesign approved FireWire card, the ADS Pyro PCI 64.

So, basically, turn on my system and the bootup goes as it regularly does. The 44.1 kH sample light goes on and as does the mute button. I am able to turn off the mute button. The 1394 Link light on the back is on and stays on continuously. The 1394 light on the front however does not turn on and the computer cannot see the Digi 002 rack. I have an Mbox which is recognized by the computer. Any ideas short of sending it into Digidesign for $350, which is outrageous, would be appreciated.

And here is the troubleshooting that I have done so far:

Tried it on a different computer, different operating system (Vista, XP, and Mac OSX), as well as trying several different cables.

Tried a new power harness. Please don't tell me to get a new power harness. Ignoring the fact that the power harness issue has different symptons, I already tried.

Took apart the Digi 002 completely, every screw and every card and checked it. While doing this I discovered some sort of buildup or residue on the front most card in the unit that interfaces with the controls. Tried to clean it off as much as I could.

I also took a voltometer and check that the ports themselves were fine, which the seems to be.

I have not tried to hit the unit with a heat gun though I was advised that it might help.

So any help in this would be very nice!

if ignorance is bliss, then why isn't everyone happy

Last edited by obiwanws2; 05-26-2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Extra info.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Issues with FireWire on Digi 002 Rack

A couple things....Pro Tools is not officially qualified to run on ANY 64-bit systems.
Yes, some people have it working on 64-bit, but why add another variable to something that already isn't functioning????
Did you at any point HOT SWAP the firewire cable? This will damage the f/w ports in the 002.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwanws2 View Post
*Just for clarification, I am running Vista Home Premium 64-bit with an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz processor and 8 GB of DDR2-800 Ram.
No 64 bit operating system is approved for use with Pro Tools or supported by Digidesign. A few users have it working, but one of the major sticking points is the firewire driver. Digidesign USB interfaces are okay, firewire interfaces are not.

There a several threads with information about this if you want to search for them.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 05-26-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
No 64 bit operating system is approved for use with Pro Tools or supported by Digidesign. A few users have it working, but one of the major sticking points is the firewire driver. Digidesign USB interfaces are okay, firewire interfaces are not.

There a several threads with information about this if you want to search for them.

Cheers,
Well, did you read the rest of what I said? The fact that this unit did not work on XP or on Mac OSX either? XP is not 64-bit (at least the version I used) and the Mac I tested it on was connected to a Standard Digi 002 and had no trouble.

And no hotswapping was ever done. I would setup my stuff then power everything on.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:37 PM

"Well, did you read the rest of what I said? The fact that this unit did not work on XP or on Mac OSX either? XP is not 64-bit (at least the version I used) and the Mac I tested it on was connected to a Standard Digi 002 and had no trouble."

Sorry, you're clearly frustrated, but we're just trying to help. There was no mention of the fact that you tried it on a 32-bit XP platform. You might be at that point where bench-testing will just make you even MORE frustratedand it would be best to let Digi have a look at the unit.Somewhere posted on the Digi site, though, is a an explanation of what the LED status means. These things are self-diagnosticto a degree. (Been searching for it, but still can't find it.) Curious...what's the letter at the end of the serial number?
Old 05-26-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
"Well, did you read the rest of what I said? The fact that this unit did not work on XP or on Mac OSX either? XP is not 64-bit (at least the version I used) and the Mac I tested it on was connected to a Standard Digi 002 and had no trouble."

Sorry, you're clearly frustrated, but we're just trying to help. There was no mention of the fact that you tried it on a 32-bit XP platform. You might be at that point where bench-testing will just make you even MORE frustratedand it would be best to let Digi have a look at the unit.Somewhere posted on the Digi site, though, is a an explanation of what the LED status means. These things are self-diagnosticto a degree. (Been searching for it, but still can't find it.) Curious...what's the letter at the end of the serial number?
Sorry about bring snappy, just this thing has been frustrating me a lot. I could of had it repaired last summer for $250, but now the price jumped up to $350 so I am perturbed at that. The serial ends in F which means that it is one of the units with the Power Harness problem. That has already been replaced twice but the second time it did not help. I can't find the info about the LEDs either but I do remember seeing an article of that nature before

Old 05-26-2009, 01:51 PM

Aha! Here ya go......
From Digi:

"No communication with Pro Tools and the Digi 002, but stand-alone Mode works.
Check the internal LED activity. If activity is normal (one solid, one blinking), it's more than likely a Firewire Bridge failure. The unit would need to be repaired by Digidesign or an ARC.

Note: Any Digi 002 or Digi 002 Rack that is rev G or later DOES NOT NEED any additional DC harness or power supply replacement."

"What are other ways to determine whether or not I am seeing a 002 harness issue or some other problem with the 002?
Looking through the back vents (the perforated area right of the MIDI ports) on a 002 or from the side vents of a 002 Rack, you will usually see two green LED's. One is lit constantly, one is blinking. If the Boot ROM or DRAM is faulty, only one LED will be visible (the blinking LED will stay off, as no communication happens). If this is the case (only 1 LED constantly lit, no blinking LED), the unit needs to come in for repair.

Replacing the DC Harness or PSU will not solve this problem."
Old 05-26-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Aha! Here ya go......
From Digi:

"No communication with Pro Tools and the Digi 002, but stand-alone Mode works.
Check the internal LED activity. If activity is normal (one solid, one blinking), it's more than likely a Firewire Bridge failure. The unit would need to be repaired by Digidesign or an ARC.

Note: Any Digi 002 or Digi 002 Rack that is rev G or later DOES NOT NEED any additional DC harness or power supply replacement."

"What are other ways to determine whether or not I am seeing a 002 harness issue or some other problem with the 002?
Looking through the back vents (the perforated area right of the MIDI ports) on a 002 or from the side vents of a 002 Rack, you will usually see two green LED's. One is lit constantly, one is blinking. If the Boot ROM or DRAM is faulty, only one LED will be visible (the blinking LED will stay off, as no communication happens). If this is the case (only 1 LED constantly lit, no blinking LED), the unit needs to come in for repair.

Replacing the DC Harness or PSU will not solve this problem."

Thanks. Both of the LEDs on the interior are on, one solid while the other one is blinking. Now this discuss that it is a FireWire bridge failure. Any clue whether that is that a chip or a component? I know a few electrical engineers so I am wondering if I can fix this myself.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:01 PM

I think the tricky part is, will Digi sell you the necessary component to do it yourself, or INSIST that it go to an authorized repair center? Not sure about that one.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I think the tricky part is, will Digi sell you the necessary component to do it yourself, or INSIST that it go to an authorized repair center? Not sure about that one.
Well, after having taken the entire interface apart, the FireWire, Optical, SPDF, Midi, and the Footswitch are all on one card. Whether the entire card would need to be replaced or one part of it I don't know.

Edit: I also just initiated a discussion with Digi so we will see what they say.

Last edited by obiwanws2; 05-26-2009 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Addition