Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2007, 06:18 PM

Default Massivepack 6 advice

Hi everyone:

Since there doesn't appear to be a lot of activity on the PC TDM forum, I thought I'd ask here too... sorry for the crosspost.

I'm a long time LE forum poster, but new to HD. I just installed a HD2 Accel on my old Athlon 64 4200 X2 system, and it is running very well so far.

My question is about Massive Pack. I purchased it a few days ago and it should be here tomorrow. I have a decent idea of which plug-ins I want to authorize, but I thought I'd ask for some feedback from other HD users before doing so.

So, in your opinion, and assuming you had little else insofar as HD plug ins (but I AM going to get the Eventide Anthology II bundle too), which six of the optional plugs would you authorize - and why?

Here's a link to the list of plug ins:

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...5965&ref=mp6-p

Thanks for your opinions / advice.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Massivepack 6 advice

mooger
hybrid
revibe
tl space
drum rehab

for sure, if you don't have any of those. DINR is useless at this point, TL Util is ... well... worthless. I never bothered to learn Synchronic, but it could have its uses. Fairchild is still an okay compressor.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
mooger
hybrid
revibe
tl space
drum rehab

for sure, if you don't have any of those. DINR is useless at this point, TL Util is ... well... worthless. I never bothered to learn Synchronic, but it could have its uses. Fairchild is still an okay compressor.
DINR is useless?

I should have already mentioned this, but I already own Synchronic. I never use it.

I mostly do rock, jazz and other "acoustic" (real instruments) recordings, with light to moderate MIDI use... no dance or hip hop.

I pretty much figured on TL Space and probably ReVibe too. I reviewed Hybrid as part of the MPT for EQ magazine last year, and while it is a good synth, I don't think I'd use it very often...

I was thinking about going with

TL Space

ReVibe

TL Drum Rehab

Mooger

DINR

and one of the two BF comp bundles (haven't made up my mind which one yet...)

If DINR is useless, can you tell me why, and maybe give me a suggestion for something else you prefer? I would really like to have a decent noise reduction plug...

Thanks for taking the time to respond... I really appreciate it!

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:28 AM

Izotope RX is an awesome buy at $350. Excellent value for money and very effective at all sorts of noise reduction. Check it out - there's a free demo.

Incidentally I thought the Massive Pack promo was on until 20th December - but I can't seem to find it anywhere? You guys know if it's over??
Old 12-19-2007, 06:18 AM

Quote:
mooger
hybrid
revibe
tl space
drum rehab

DINR has been very useful for me in a variety of situations. I am curious as to what you mean by useless? In what capacity? From buzz on bass tracks, to reducing ambient "live noises".. to reverb reduction, it has worked well for me, BUT, If somthing out there works a lot better, I would love to know about it. SB
Old 12-19-2007, 06:18 AM

I own all of them.

Those 3 are the best ones in the bundle:

Digidesign ReVibe™*
Trillium Lane Labs® TL Drum Rehab™
Trillium Lane Labs TL Space™ TDM Edition

Those 3 are ok:

Bomb Factory® Classic Compressors Bundle
Bomb Factory Fairchild® 660 and 670 Bundle
Trillium Lane Labs TL Utilities™

The others I just don't use including the moogerfoogers (specially if you're going to buy Eventide Anthology 2!)

Good luck.

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 12-19-2007, 09:11 AM

TL Space
ReVibe
DrumRehab
Fairchild
Hybrid
Classic Compressors
Old 12-19-2007, 10:21 AM

TL Drum Rehab
TL Space
Revibe
Hybrid

Then, I'd choose whatever for the last two. The bomb factory stuff is crap, so the rest of the choices are really just because you have to make them.

The compressor in the E-Channel from Eventied Anthology II bundle is better than any of the bomb factory stuff. The Eventide 'verb rocks, too.

-Tom
Old 12-19-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
. The bomb factory stuff is crap, so the rest of the choices are really just because you have to make them.
-Tom
AHHH TOM...... you hurt my feelings... (sigh). Along with BNR, I find the Fairchild's and Classic Compressors to be useful. They may be a little different than some others.. granted. But to call them "crap" could be construed as an insult to someone like mr. MacMillan, who just recommended them.
His work, with which I am very familiar, may very well speak for him... and for his choices.
Often, in public forums, it is wise to consider this before, perhaps, insulting others. Considering the musical genre in which you ply your trade, I have to wonder...(sorry bout that, but it will get some visits to your webpage)
Oh well, since guys like Steve, and other here, are way to mature to even respond to things like this, it is left to me and my hurt feelings. SB
Old 12-19-2007, 02:28 PM

Incidentally I thought the Massive Pack promo was on until 20th December - but I can't seem to find it anywhere? You guys know if it's over??

It is on until the 20th... but I couldn't find anyone with it in stock (all special order) so I called Digidesign with my CC in hand.

Here's a link to the page on the Digi site:

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...5965&ref=mp6-p

And to the rest of you, thanks again for your input and suggestions!