Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2004, 10:14 PM

Default NEED HELP!!!

I have the Digi 002 and I am trying to find out what Mac I should buy to run it. It is not the rack version and I have version 5.3.1. I am a drummer who wants Pro Tools to be able to record my self and transfer those tracks to other studios/producers. I will be recording up to 16 tracks at the same time but that's really it. I will not be mixing or using hardly any plug-ins. Maybe some EQ and compression. I have been looking at the E-Macs and I would love to spend around $1000.00 or less. Any advise would be appreciated one hundred fold. Thanks,

Groovilini
Old 03-24-2004, 04:09 AM

Default Re: NEED HELP!!!

Hi,
I'd suggest a G4 re-furb, but no idea re US prices-a good deal at the moment are the G4 dual 1.25 gig, firewire 400 models, and they are dual boot for OS 9 & OSX too.

How are you proposing to record to 16 tracks in one pass, or do I have that wrong ?

003 & Midas Venice desk
Mindprint DTC
Soundelux U99
Drawmer M-Clock
Old 03-24-2004, 07:02 AM

Unless you are content with doing a maximum of 4 tracks at a time, you'll need 4 external hardware preamps that will go into line inputs 5-8, and a lightpipe pre/comverter (ala Focusrite Octapre, digimax, etc.) for the other 8 channels. These lightpipe units run from a few hundred for the el cheapo to a couple thousand for the high end ones..

The 002 has 8 analog in/out(4 with preamps) 8 i/o voa lightpipe and 2 i/o voia spdif.

I believe the 002, unlike the 002R, will run under PT5, but I'd double check with Digi about that, as that may ahve changed.

To record 16 tracks simultainiously, you'll need a powerhouse G-4, at least 800Mhz, 512mb of RAM minimum, and a faster dedicated audio drive.

Look of ra refurb or used Quicksilver model. IF you can get one, go for a dual processor, and spend the $$$ for the PT6 upgrade and Panther. You gain some horsepower there.

You'll also need a good external drive system to use as backup and to transfer the files to the mix facility. There are many Firewire drives on the market that will accomplish this, and the Firewire 400 format is very common. FWIW we use a Firedock system. Lacie and Gymph are also very popular.

Add to the picture a good mic selection, stnads and cabling as well.

None of this maters if you don't have a decent sounding room to record in.

...and of course the knowledge of how to use it...priceless.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:25 AM

or you could just switch over to the dark side and build a rocking AMD pc for $500. i've heard the assumption that PT is no good on WIndows no longer holds any water:)

Old 03-24-2004, 10:20 AM

He's already from the other side with 5.3.1...

Let's go! You can do it! Come toward the light!

PTLE 5.1.1 Digi001 MacOS9.2.2 Yikes!400MHz
Old 03-24-2004, 11:05 AM

Thank you for your helpful reply...I have everything that you mentioned exept a clear understanding of what version of LE should I have to run the 002 and what computer is best to operate that version. That to me has been rather elusive. Apple is offerring refurbed Power G4's with 1.25/256MB Ramm for $1000.00. Is this what I need? Any advise would be great. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2004, 02:06 PM

Hi again,

any G4 running OS 9 (native not classic) will run PTLE 5.1.1(5.3.1 being for Windows)

This mean up to 2002's MirrorDriveDoor model,

CPU Speed: 2x 867 MHz/1 Ghz/1.25 Ghz

Minimum OS: 9.2.2

Maximum OS: 10.3.3

Anything after that won't run native OS 9, so you would need PTLE 6.x to be able to run in OSx.

PTLE 5.1.1 Digi001 MacOS9.2.2 Yikes!400MHz
Old 03-25-2004, 03:01 PM

I would hold off on a Mac purchase until at least end of April...only if you can. I "hear" new hardware is coming...possible speed bumps to the PowerMac G5's (which would lower prices on other CPUs). Also, iMacs and the eMac are considered to be at the end of their life-cycle. It's in the air that G5 iMacs will be announced very soon as well.

Just rumor at the moment, but...