Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2004, 08:45 AM

Default HELP !...keyboard contoller with digi001 5.1.1

can a midi keyboard controller (Oxygn8) work with PTLE 5.1.1 if so how should it be hooked up. I'm at wits end with this thing. I should be able to plug it in to the midi in on the digi box and see something on the midi track meters..not so. Are there certain windows files required?

help!! thanks
Old 03-21-2004, 06:00 PM

Default Re: HELP !...keyboard contoller with digi001 5.1.1

Hi,

did you record enable your MIDI track? Assign the correct channel?

PTLE 5.1.1 Digi001 MacOS9.2.2 Yikes!400MHz
Old 03-21-2004, 06:47 PM

I don't have an Oxygen 8 but from reading other responses, no one has gotten it to work by hooking up it up via midi. You must hook it up via USB. The midi out on the Oxygen 8 is for hooking it up to another keyboard or sound module.

You will need the correct drivers too. I would assume they came on a CD with the keyboard, but the latest ones (the ones you should use) should be at their site.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:52 PM

Thanks Benlef for your response,

yes...I'm using sampletank le so I have that set up on an audio track and a midi track armed for record with the output to sampletank ch1 and the input Digi001 ch1. I can play the notes with the pencil tool and they sound fine but the keyboard won't play the notes.

Interesting is that I since have loaded the REASON-'Adapted for M-Audio' software that came with the Oxy8 and is a standalone program that utilizes the Oxy8 as a USB keyboard controller. Of course the keyboard works fine and with all its features.

Whats going on here?? I'm stumped!.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:58 PM

Thanks MFYM,

My REASON-Adapted has caused me to try the USB route but still nothing. Do I need the midi cable hooked up to the Digi box's midi in as well as the USB. Im now selecting the midi track input as the USB Keyboard but still getting nothing??

further thoughts?

thanks
Old 03-21-2004, 07:15 PM

Well, first things first. Do you have the keyboard hooked up via USB? I believe the keyboard gets its power from the USB connection. Do you have the latest drivers? I've seen more than one thread from people who couldn't get anything to work because they didn't have the latest drivers when using USB midi keyboards. You only need the USB connection. Don't hook up a midi cable.

Just leave the midi input channel set to all. Select the Reason instrument you want to hear from the midi output channel (the panel below). Make sure Reason is on an stereo aux track and that you've selected Mix L/R and turned up the volume. You need two tracks to run Reason - one midi track to control Reason, and an aux with Reason on it (as explained above). It's more important that you see some indication of a signal on the midi track. Record arm the midi track and play some notes and see if the midi track shows midi data.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:27 AM

Hi again,

I'm not sure but I think that when you use USB, you have to select(add) it as a device in the studio or hardware set-up.(?)

But in my set-up I have the keyboard MIDI Out to 001 MIDI In, 001 MIDI Out chain to kit:synth In, Thru sampler In, Thru any other extra(like V-Drum, guitFX, etc), a MIDI track record enable and an Aux track assigned to my kit audio return.

Another thing would be to check the keyboard for "local off", MIDI transmit channel to ch.1 and check(enable) MIDI thru in PT.

PTLE 5.1.1 Digi001 MacOS9.2.2 Yikes!400MHz
Old 03-22-2004, 09:58 AM

benlef:

Your explanation will work if you're using a regular keyboard, but the new midi-only (no on-board sounds) keyboards are alittle different, and must use USB for their midi connection. Plus I believe m001 is using PC, not Mac.

One thing I should have noticed sooner is that m001 is using PTLE 5.1.1 which doesn't have Rewire in its code. In order to use Reason inside a PTLE session, you will need to upgrade to 6.1 (which you have to pay for), and then get the free updater to 6.1.1 for the Digidesign site. I'm not sure if you can use the Reason Bundle without 6.1

Old 03-22-2004, 03:40 PM

thanks Benlef and MFYM, I'm still doing battle with this.

Let me clarify where I'm at with this and what I have done up to now. What got me started down this road is the purchase of Sampletanke LE with the Bass Collection RTAS for PC. This plug-in works great but I have to use the keyboard on screen that is within the midi track to trigger the sounds. So now comes the Oxygen8 with the idea that I can trigger these sounds from a keyboard instead of using the pencil tool. I was told just plug in the midi out on the keyboard to the midi in on the Digi box and the keys should play the sounds. No such luck.

So I decide to install the USB software that came with the Oxy8. Also bundled with this is Reason-Adapted for M-audio. This version does not run within PTLE but does run as a stand alone program. This works fine and plays through the Digi sound card no problems. The CD loads the latest USB drivers and the keyboard shows up in PTLE in the input and outputs on the midi track but I'm still not get the Oxy8 keys to play the notes. Not even a flicker in the track meters.

So I'm still doing battle with this and near desperate to get this going. Hopefully this can add some focus to where the problem might be.

thanks again

Old 03-27-2004, 05:16 AM

Tanks for the help,
I have it working now using only the midi out on the keyboard to the midi in on the digi box. I had the USB working but it would lose its connection and I would have to relaunch PT. So I do not have the USB cable conected at all and use the 9v power pack for power. What have I done..

In "Preferences" set "Mid Thru Instrument" to [Digidesign 001Ch1]
Open session and select Midi from the menu bar and click "Midi Thru"
Set up SampleTank properly
On the Midi Track the Input Is set to [All] and the Output to [SampleTank Ch1]

I thought the Midi thru was for an external sound module .why this works I'm not really sure I'm guessing it sees ST as the sound module?

thx