How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2004, 01:57 AM

Default Midi limitations in Protools 6.X

Hello,

I'm considering switching from cubase VST to a digi002R on a Mac G5. I do a lot of work with midi and audio in my projects and I really love the way protools handles audio. However, I've had people tell me that Protools midi capabilities have some limitations compared to Cubase. I was hoping someone could tell me if this is true and what these limitations might be. Is there a limit to the number of midi tracks you can create like there is with the audio tracks? I plan on using RTAS such as Reaktor and Pro-53, as well as the full version of Reason 2.5. I'm pretty sure I can program notes with a keyboard style editor in Protools and send it to these instruments (no problem right?) Also, is there any problem with sending continous controller messages to these instruments through protools? This is important - can I draw in curves for these events with a pencil tool of some nature, and can I send multiple continous control messages to the same virtual instrument? I guess drawing muliple continous control messages to the same RTAS instrument is my main concern. Let me know if this is possible ( I think it should be) After i create a midi track I'm assuming there will be a box of some nature that will let me send the information on the track to a soft synth or midi out port on my interface. In Cubase there are seperate types of Midi tracks for notes and controllers. Is it the same way in Protools? What is the procedure for sending continous controller info?
Any info regarding the limitations that any of you have experienced when working with Protools 6.x and up is also appreciated. Sorry if I rambled a bit with the questions. I just want to make sure that the main features and techniques that I use when I work are possible before I go out and purchase one of these systems.

Thanks in advance,javascript:void(0)
javascript:void(0)
Shane Soda
Audio for Visual Media student
Columbia College, Chicago Illinois
Old 03-08-2004, 07:56 AM

Default Re: Midi limitations in Protools 6.X

Hi,

first thing I would do is to go to the "technical documents"(top of these pages).

Get the manual and read the sections that concern your questions.

You'll see that you can use the event list to add and/or edit MIDI. You'll also see that only some controllers can be edited with the pencil.

One of the limitations that doesn't appear in the manual is, even if they say that it supports controllers 0-127, you can't use any controller above 119!

PTLE 5.1.1 Digi001 MacOS9.2.2 Yikes!400MHz