Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2003, 01:43 PM

Default Best DI for electric guitar

Mic's and cabs are unfortunately not an option for me. I'm using a POD II, I've tried Amplitube but can't get it right. I plug directly into a line-in on an 002R. I see Mesa Boogie and Marshall have direct pre's. Anyone got a solution or opinion on how I can get my guitar direct to disk without using a mic on an amp/cab? I like a controlled Overdriven rock rhythm and lead sound.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 09-22-2003, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Best DI for electric guitar

Hi,

I've been using a SansAmp PSA-1 for years. I use it for everything from death metal to jazz and it sounds great.

Good luck,
Marc
Old 09-22-2003, 02:12 PM

The Groove Tubes Ditto is real nice. Avalon U5 is great also.

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab
Old 09-22-2003, 03:47 PM

Can I get away with using Input 1 and adjusting the trim or will I lose the guitar depth and harmonics?

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 09-22-2003, 03:58 PM

You won't lose any depth or harmonics. Inputs 1-4 (line/inst setting) are high impedance, like a guitar amp, and have plenty of gain to bring passive pickups up to needed levels.

Some people think it sounds *terrible*, but it's worth a try.

Quote:
Can I get away with using Input 1 and adjusting the trim or will I lose the guitar depth and harmonics?

Old 09-22-2003, 04:52 PM

tele - have you tried the Marshall JMP-1 or MesaRectifier Preamp. Are these the real thing or amp sims like the Pod?

Old 09-22-2003, 05:50 PM

the JMP and Mesa Pre are both "real" preamps - not simulations. Im not sure if the JMP is intended for direct recording. I think that mesa pre you mentioned is though.

The avalon U5 is one of the best instrument preamps around i believe. Perfect for running into amplitube and the like. I wish I could afford/justify the expense.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:57 PM

You might try to get your Amplitube right. Set up an aux input track and put your Amplitube in a plug in. Send via bus to an audio input. Set your levels. You might try lowering the gain on the Amplitube for starters and also turn the gate to the right. Turn away from your monitor when you record. You should get some good sounds.

Good luck.

July

MP3's
Old 09-22-2003, 06:43 PM

Also on amplitube mess with the mic positions and cabs it takes a little work but there are some real nice (and so convienent in an apartment)tones to be had .
You still cant beat real tubes though and the mesa stuff is da bomb!!
I want to track through a real nice amp miked up and my amplitube at the same time .Thats gonna be fun!
Old 09-23-2003, 12:08 AM

Heya Cliff

I presume when you say you "can't get it right" with Amplitube, that you're trying to play with the plug in-line at the time of tracking?

Has anyone tried the old trick of recording the sounds of the guitar actually using a DI (along with a miked amp or some FX or whatever) on a seperate track, then subsequently applying plugs to alter the original sound?

I know that David Gilmour did this when recording the solo for "Another Brick in the Wall Pt 2". Basically, he DI-ed his Les Paul while playing through an amp, so that the DI sound was just the sound coming out of the guitar, but effected to an extent by the feed from the stack as he played. After the initial capture, he then routed the direct out of the tape machine (or a desk send) of this sound back out into the studio and into his stack (I seem to recall that he had the head in the control room, the cabinet in the studio with a couple of mics on it). On playback, then, he had the luxury of being able to dial up the best sound for the solo to suite, and a choice of mics on the cab as well ... a very intelligent approach.

Seems to me that this would be a cool way to dial up Amplitube or Line 6 settings. Anyone tried this? I'm about to do a session with a band and am gonna try exactly this technique ... I'll post the results when I have 'em.

Keep Rock-ording!
J.