Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 03-07-2021, 04:20 AM

Default Re: What limitations should one expect with Mbox 3 Mini in 2021?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Don't get confused here. Since PT9 hardware and software has been separated. While PT software is fully supported, it may be different thing with hardware. So you need to find support for both via two different downloads (unless you are using HD hardware in which case drivers come with PT installer)
THANK YOU!
Very much appreciate it.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:58 AM

Default Re: What limitations should one expect with a box 3 in 2021?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skystudios View Post
Im guessing when I get the mbox3 it will work in Catalina with Pro Tools 12, but I like to see if I can buy someone's Pro Tools HD or 10.
I don't need the post production options, maybe nice to have some video editing but im only concerned with producing music.
Protools is generally scaled into three tiers.

The lowest tier is "Protools First," which is really a promotional product to let folks try it out to see if Protools is right for them.

The middle tier is "Protools," which is referred to as "Vanilla" here. It has most of the music production features for home recordist and hobbyist. (I'm thinking this is probably right for you.)

The highest tier is "Protools Ultimate," which was previously called "Protools HD." It included more features geared for professional studios and post production. At one time it was required to have AVID hardware with a Native interface or Accel DSP cards and I/O etc. to be used.

All three tiers since version 12 now use the same version numbering system with the year and month of the release date. For example, the latest version available now is 2020.12 (released in December 2020).

Therefore you should be very specific what product you are interesting in buying. For example: Protools HD version 12 or Protools Ultimate version 2020.5 or Protools version 10 or Protools version 2020.12.

One more point. Protools LE used the Avid interface (like your Mbox 3) as the copy protection method to ensure you owned the product and Protools LE would not work without the interface connected. Since Protools 9 however, the copy protection method changed to use an Ilok (USB key). Since you may use any compatible interface, you must have the Ilok dongle connected to a USB port for Protools to work. More recent versions allow that Ilok copy protection to reside in the cloud via an Internet connection but older version do not.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 03-07-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
There is no high end low end products its high end marketing to win the corporate studio clients (TV Radio Film with post production facilities ) who right off the costs of Avid rigs annually on tax returns vs independent music producers, artists, who are willing or left with no choice to share a chunk of their income or move unto another DAW., Many if not all of the digi hardware people I had visited in Menlo park before Avid took over are gone., the only Digidesign-avid clients siding with over pricing hardware rigs today are those who depend on their gear for work and want to make sure competition can't afford it.

Why Pro Tools (first of not much that concerns the indie producers and musicians has changed) indie producers and musicians don care about SMPTE and other features linking AVIDS gear or services to the big corp studios with multiple rooms linked via tie lines etc.

Most who want pro tools outside the big facilities need it to open sessions and work from any location, make or mix music, compose music, music or sounds fx to picture, or are producers or talent like VO actors or singers that need the higher resolution editing, metering and a few other things Pro Tools offers in no other DAW.
Its why many rather buy a UAD Apollo and move on only using Pro Tools if at all for the reasons I mentioned.

The hardware story is well known to the public now, same with all companies that are designing products as proprietory which is seen as planned obsolescence in order to push new products at the market value rate yet they have little to no features besides been compatible with Catalina...btw Pro Tools is not fully compatible with either Catalina or BigSur either., All digital avid hardware can work today, example people reported see their old digi002 show up in other DAWS using Catalina.,.I also met people who still use the giant SESSION 8 hardware programming it to push 16 ins and outs., anyway they want in fact,

So with that said.

I know the mbox3 mini is usb1, Mbox3 is 2.0 and Mbox3 pro is firewire,
I say Mbox usb 2 and Mbox3 FW can do as well as a portable SSL2+
I know USB drivers for Catalina are available even though Avid refuses to update them.
Im guessing when I get the mbox3 it will work in Catalina with Pro Tools 12, but I like to see if I can buy someone's Pro Tools HD or 10.
I don't need the post production options, maybe nice to have some video editing but im only concerned with producing music.

You are shotgunning random questions all across DUC. Asking beginner level questions interspersed with stuff from some old experience, like above. You ask beginner questions and experienced folks try to help you. We all know about Avid and Design and don’t need history lessons.

You are just all over the place. If you have lots of experience with Pro Tools and really want Pro Tools 10 HD you could get that system put together quickly, why are you on here talking about Mbox? Much of your confusion would go away if you just went to Sweetwater or similar and purchased an interface and Pro Tools standard subscription, talking to a sales rep to help you would be a good idea.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 03-07-2021 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You are shotgunning random questions all across DUC. Asking beginner level questions interspersed with stuff from some old experience, like above. You ask beginner questions and experienced folks try to help you. We all know about Avid and Design and don’t need history lessons.

You are just all over the place. If you have lots of experience with Pro Tools and really want Pro Tools 10 HD you could get that system put together quickly, why are you on here talking about Mbox? Much of your confusion would go away if you just went to Sweetwater or similar and purchased an interface and Pro Tools standard subscription, talking to a sales rep to help you would be a good idea.
Beginner questions?

sorry but that is condescending, not surprised though..its not a beginner question to ask about portable interfaces that are decent, still work and outside the big rooms i worked in since the 90s., and asking about various options in different threads is no reason to snoop on someone, dont worry im not one of the many digi hardware guys who lost their jobs.

Pro tools 12 can not support QuickTime in Catalina..and not much has changed since v8 if your working outside big rooms and do not need updates to link avid and other professional post and broadcast gear., i take it your comment more less concerns planned obsolescence of older devices that require 64 drivers.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Pro tools 12 can not support QuickTime in Catalina..and not much has changed since v8.
Really?

I can’t say I agree with that at all. There’s a multitude of things that have changed and for the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2021, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Beginner questions?

sorry but that is condescending, not surprised though..its not a beginner question to ask about portable interfaces that are decent, still work and outside the big rooms i worked in since the 90s., and asking about various options in different threads is no reason to snoop on someone, dont worry im not one of the many digi hardware guys who lost their jobs.

Pro tools 12 can not support QuickTime in Catalina..and not much has changed since v8 if your working outside big rooms and do not need updates to link avid and other professional post and broadcast gear., i take it your comment more less concerns planned obsolescence of older devices that require 64 drivers.
This posts like many of your others do not even make sense. If you trying to get back into Pro Tools after being out of it for decades you need to realize how lost and confused you are and stop with the opinions about stuff you are repeatedly wrong about. Ask questions, get help and then actually go do something instead of keeping reposting your misinformation and crap all over DUC.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
This posts like many of your others do not even make sense. If you trying to get back into Pro Tools after being out of it for decades you need to realize how lost and confused you are and stop with the opinions about stuff you are repeatedly wrong about. Ask questions, get help and then actually go do something instead of keeping reposting your misinformation and crap all over DUC.
Please stop trolling the thread, I posted a number of legacy questions and even shared information suggesting people can get a hold of older USB interfaces and use them in Catalina which in fact encourages and promotes PRO TOOL 12., this includes 3rd party interfaces., so please stop the Stasi stalking and condescending comments, your the very reason people left AVID for decades.

BTW, your wrong about me not working with pro tools in decades, to correct you (which I should not have to) I stopped working with END USER products (outside big room network products), products which are limited to crippled versions of what you are insinuating to be beginner products or beginner questions lol

So if anyone fell of the earth in the last decade its AVID who could be making 10 x the money they do now COMBINED with a pro tools on IOS or PADOS, if they listen to the END USERS instead of just us engineers in the bigger networks calling about recovering lost sessions., sure we dont have a budget there and happy to pay AVID for tech services on call...but the world is online AVID! wake up!

With that out of the way I think AVID can let go of the headaches and BS tied to crippled END USER CUNSUMER hardware bundles and instead finally move unto Pro Tools for IOS and padOS, believe it when I tell you that im wiling to pay for a subscription like that.

So here is an update on what I found out so far digging around here and other forums.....no need to be the Stasi police., I can confirm that the 64bit USB driver does indeed allow all legacy USB 1.1 and up interfaces (including 3rd party devices) to run in Catalina with Pro Tools 12., I see a future in Pro Tools 12 at home during lockdowns now lol

I asked about legacy bundles and what platforms they worked on, I found out many owners where rather stuck on older OS set ups, older machines in fact., so why not finally return to Pro Tools for everything?

Last edited by skystudios; 03-09-2021 at 12:26 PM. Reason: spelling gramer
Old 03-09-2021, 08:08 PM

Default Re: What limitations should one expect with Mbox 3 Mini in 2021?

With all this "back and forth" I have lost track if we've answered the original question from skystudios. There are official compatibility charts on the Avid website to help identify what version of Protools will work with what OS you intend to run. The link to the Mbox Mini Gen3 driver I provided earlier also lists the version of the OS that it works with.

I think the difficulty is that the Mbox series of interfaces were designed originally to work with Protools LE only (and serve as a form of copy protection). Unfortunately they were not fully ASIO compatible like many common audio interfaces are. When Protools 9 opened up to allow using non Avid/Digidesign Mbox interfaces, there was a shift to use ASIO compliant interfaces. Thus began the end of the Mbox product cycle.

Honestly, the Mbox interfaces were mediocre as best (I owned several), and almost any modern interface is better. I know you said that you got yours for free so I understand you want to get it to work. If you are willing to do your homework and accept the limitations (older OS, older version of Protools, older plugins, etc.) that is your choice.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3

Last edited by Obsidian Dragon; 03-10-2021 at 08:07 AM.