Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2015, 05:22 PM

Default PSP L'otary Leslie sim

PSP has released a Leslie simulator called L'otary; 14 day fully functional trial and currently on sale for $69US until the end of January. Afterwards it goes up to $99. Currently demoing it and it's pretty decent; certainly better than the emulation NI has in Vintage Organs. You get two models - a 122 and a 147. With enough controls to really come up with different variations. Like some plugins that model everything of a particular thing PSP even has a control to vary the audible level of the rotors themselves. You know when you're next to a real Leslie on fast and you hear the noise of the rotors? Yup - got that. You can go from totally silent to having your ear right next to the cabinet.

Rotor speed selectable via front panel of the gui as well as by sustain pedal or mod wheel. Cool thing with using the mod wheel is you can continuosly vary the speed from slow to fast and not just jump from one to the other. The bad thing is if you use the mod wheel for a synth that's on the same MIDI channel or the sustain pedal for say a piano it also changes the Leslie speed. What is needed is a way to remap the plugin to use other MIDI controllers. You can set the plugin to different MIDI channels but that doesn't do any good in a live situation. If you're recording you can set the plugin to a different MIDI channel and change speeds from the gui front panel. Not convenient; or you could do it in two passes but yet again - not convenient.

QAPLA!
Old 01-23-2015, 06:57 PM

Default Re: PSP L'otary Leslie sim

Id be inclined to demo this ..., except I'm really happy with my Melda Vintage Rotary . Has anyone compared the Psp to this ?
Old 01-24-2015, 07:34 AM

I've found the Melda plugin to be kind of dull in sound. I have a real 122 and it sounds nothing like the plugin. Going to demo the PSP one in the next couple of days.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
I've found the Melda plugin to be kind of dull in sound. I have a real 122 and it sounds nothing like the plugin. Going to demo the PSP one in the next couple of days.
Just be aware of one thing I mentioned - when on fast speed you'll hear the whirring of the mechanism coming through your monitors. Most of the presets have the control turned up so it's very audible.

Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on it. I know it's an initial release so there's bound to be issues like I found or someone else might find.

QAPLA!
Old 01-24-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I've found the Melda plugin to be kind of dull in sound.
Are you referring to MRotary, or MVintageRotary?
Old 01-24-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam green View Post
Id be inclined to demo this ..., except I'm really happy with my Melda Vintage Rotary . Has anyone compared the Psp to this ?

I don't have a Leslie cabinet but I do like the Melda Vintage Rotary.

It sounds really good to me, and for $36 it was a steal
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Just be aware of one thing I mentioned - when on fast speed you'll hear the whirring of the mechanism coming through your monitors. Most of the presets have the control turned up so it's very audible.

Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on it. I know it's an initial release so there's bound to be issues like I found or someone else might find.
Hey Jack, just tried the PSP plugin out. It is quite a bit more mid rangy than the Melda MVintage one but stiil, neither one sounds quite like my real 122. They're both usable of course, just not realistic re-creations of the real deal though.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Hey Jack, just tried the PSP plugin out. It is quite a bit more mid rangy than the Melda MVintage one but stiil, neither one sounds quite like my real 122. They're both usable of course, just not realistic re-creations of the real deal though.
Thanks for the feedback. One of the PSP developers said modeling a Leslie is one of the hardest things to model. Agreed about the midrangey part but playing with the eq took care of that for me to a certain extent. Not perfect but better. The 122 sounds more like a 142 and the 147 sounds more like a 145 (the two small cabinet models).

Then again I've run into a lot of variety in Leslie 122's and 147's back in the day. Even rebuilt and tricked-out some and it's amazing what can be done with it to bring out certain aspects of the tone.

QAPLA!