Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-08-2009, 02:15 PM

Default Re: I Got Pro Tools 7.3 to recognize 2.7GB of memory- Here's how

I'm of thee opinion, DGraham, that a /3GB Aware Pro Tools is based on what you use, how much RAM loading is taking place in Pro Tools. You see you might just exceed the 1.7 GB ceiling, Pro Tools isn't going to exclusively take all 3 GB for itself.

ReWire clients is going to be an issue however but again the distribution of RAM across multiple applications is based on how much each application is using.

Personally I'd try this but I'd backup the boot.ini file first. If it doesn't suit your requirements restore the boot.ini file and no harm done.

filosofem
Old 04-19-2009, 11:49 AM

The current site (masn32) has a version 10, not version 9. Has anyone confirmed the version 10 on PT8 works correctly?

Ross
Old 04-19-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross H View Post
The current site (masn32) has a version 10, not version 9. Has anyone confirmed the version 10 on PT8 works correctly?

Ross
in pro tools 8 you do not need to do that part. just the boot .ini modification part of the post.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 04-19-2009, 01:46 PM

got it...thanks!
Old 04-26-2009, 01:37 PM

Default Re: I Got Pro Tools 7.3 to recognize 2.7GB of memory- Here\'s how

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
For Pro Tools 8.0 and above.

1. Pull up the command line window
2. Type: BCDEDIT /Set IncreaseUserVa 3072
3. Hit enter
4. Reboot
5. When you reboot, you will be presented with the startup option to enable or not enable large address aware mode; this will happen every time you reboot.
filosofem
Pls does this work on window vista and how do i turn this off if i want to ? thanks
Old 04-26-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
From The Web.......I have not tried this personally so please do not blame me if it nukes your system.....

To enable the 3GB switch on Windows Vista™
  1. Right-click Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.
  2. At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072"
  3. Restart the computer.
To turn off the 3GB switch
  1. Right-click on Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.
  2. At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /deletevalue IncreaseUserVa"
  3. Restart the computer.
For more information on the 3GB switch, refer to the following Microsoft MSDN article:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms791558.aspx
A clone C: drive as a backup is always a good practice.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-26-2009, 02:29 PM

Reading is fundamental...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 04-27-2009, 06:56 AM

Filosofem,

This worked out great. Had some issues initially, but they've not shown back up since.

I created a new session, pushed the usage to almost 1.7GB, closed it down, then got an Access Violation error. I shut down PT, opened the same session, mucked around, then closed it again and there were no issues. Did it a few more times to be sure and everything was fine.

My first use of Reason after using the switch had a quirk. Everything would be fine until I switched from PT to a different window, any window. For example, I'd make Reason the active window to load a sample into ReDrum, then click back on the ProTools window (All while it was playing); playing would stop as soon as I clicked in the PT screen and give me a H/W error. Same thing if I went from WordPad or the calculator back to PT. Again, happened only the one time.

All,

Going to buy more RAM so I can take it up to 4GB soon. I have a question about RAM if anyone can help me out.

I see a number of brands here on the DUC, but is there any brand of RAM that is better than the next? I was checking out the Creation Stations from Sweetwater and they make a claim about "Audio-grade Lifetime RAM". Huh? What?

Is this their way of saying they use the fastest RAM available or something? I can understand in general one brand maybe having better construction that another, but "Audio-Grade"? I feel this term may be interchangeable with "Professional-Grade" or something similar and they just use it as slick marketing term.

I was just gonna grab more OCZ RAM again. Also, from what I read, there is no need for any "SLI-Ready" RAM for use with ProTools right? The guy who puts together my PC's (Cause he does it for free and I'm lazy) grabbed it when he put my current one together. Using the DUC as a resource, I'm probably going to start to build my own PC's going forward. After I make the BLA money back I plan to shoot for an i7 based system.

Any help is appreciated.
Win7 64 Ultimate - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz - Gigabyte EX58-UD3R - OCZ Gold 6GB - Radeon X550 256MB Video Card - 750GB Caviar Black System, 500GB Hitachi SATA Sample, and 750GB Caviar Black Audio - 500GB Caviar Blue Backup - Pro Tools 8.0.4 LE - Signature Series Digi 002R
Old 04-27-2009, 08:15 AM

Just buy RAM that matches the RAM you have as closely as possible. The system will see it all as the slowest RAM available to it. And it won't be RAM that can be used in a i7 system so don't worry abouit upgrading with it.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-27-2009, 09:01 AM

Word.

Thanks.
Win7 64 Ultimate - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz - Gigabyte EX58-UD3R - OCZ Gold 6GB - Radeon X550 256MB Video Card - 750GB Caviar Black System, 500GB Hitachi SATA Sample, and 750GB Caviar Black Audio - 500GB Caviar Blue Backup - Pro Tools 8.0.4 LE - Signature Series Digi 002R