Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2014, 08:07 PM

Default Mbox 2 Mini not working HELP.

I am running a mid 2012 MBPR with a 2.3 ghz i7 on OS 10.8.3. I downloaded the latest driver, firmware 1.40, for the mbox 2 mini and am having trouble getting it to work. It seems to recognize it once I restart the computer but once I pull up garage band and select the mbox as the input and output, I hear a pop and it doesn't work. I don't hear a signal coming through or see anything on the meters. Any ideas? Additionally when I go into system preferences and hook up the mbox, it doesn't say its connected even though it is.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Mbox 2 Mini not working HELP.

bump
Old 10-23-2014, 10:13 PM

Since it sounds like the OS is not registering the MBox properly, I'd try another cable to plug the unit in.
Try setting your default systems preferences -> sound output to the MBox if it shows up.
I'm not a user of Garageband, so I'm not sure if you can change sample rates etc, but if you can, make sure they're the same as what is set in the Core Audio app and Audio Midi Setup application...
Old 10-23-2014, 10:32 PM

hmm. well I know its not the usb cable because I have been using this mbox with a pc laptop for years and just a few days ago, no issues. I'm just trying to get this to work on my new mbpr for the moment for a quick voice over project. Hopefully, I won't have to lug the pc laptop around if I can get this worked out by the morning. Any other ideas?
Old 10-23-2014, 10:34 PM

Just trying to eliminate potential issues.
Does it show up inAudio Midi setup?
Old 10-23-2014, 10:38 PM

It didn't. Just to clarify the case and what happened:

1) Installed driver, restarted computer.
2) Checked Preferences and Mbox 2 Mini showed up and when I plugged in USB it said connected, firmware 1.40. Heard a familiar pop as if it was on, could hear audio from mic.
3) Opened Garageband.Made a new project and set the inputs to Mbox mono 1 (my mic) and output to 1&2. Heard a pop and no sound was registering either via recording or even through output by playing spotify. Then all USB ports were non functional after this pop. Had to restart computer to get them to work and had the same results.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:42 PM

Ah - in your post you said you had no signal going through, but you can hear the microphone through your speakers?
If this is the case, make sure the MBox is selected as an output in System Prefs -> Sound and in AudioMidi Setup.
I guess you have done that already if you can hear the microphone through the speakers? Also, there may be a knob on the front of the unit which mix the input signal (from your mic) and the playback signal (from the computer). Make sure it is turned to playback fully when testing the output from the computer.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:44 PM

Sorry, I may have put you wrong in my previous post - it sounds like the mic/playback knob is turned to the wrong setting if you can hear the mic.
What happens when you run the Core Audio app on its own - does the unit show up in that?

I'd still test the cable if it doesn't - no harm in trying...
Old 10-23-2014, 10:51 PM

SO i just tested it now. Restarted my computer and connected the usb cable with mbox 2 mini. Went into MIDI/AUdio and selected this as my device for input and output. When I switch the knob to the left I can hear audio coming from the mic as the gain is at halfway. I'm gonna try to load garageband and see what happens.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:55 PM

Damn. So it worked with garageband fine and I got it to record from the mic. HOWEVER upon closing garageband and starting up again, I heard a POP and although it was technically plugged into the USB port and the light was on the interface, I was getting nothing when recording, no signal, or playback in my headphones. This makes no SENSE! Now my usb ports are locked and I have to restart my computer again. HELP? lol I need to fix this by morning