How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-07-2015, 07:07 AM

Default Pro Tools | Control vs. Neyrinck V-control pro

I thought I'd share my test results from last night. Many of your probably read the mixed reviews from Pro Tools Expert. Here's what I experienced.

System:

MBP 2.6ghz 8gram 750G 7200rpm drive OSX 10.10.3 & *.4
Glyph GTP50 FW800 (audio)
iPad Mini iOS 8.3

Installation:

In both instances after downloading the Eucon 3.3 app from my account there is a strange error after install. The last screen would indicate that the install failed and you should contact the developer.

This seemed to not matter as Eucon would begin to run. Installation instructions are difficult to find, but the troubleshooting page helped out. Eucon wouldn't connect because in System Preferences you need to make sure you have the correct network adapter selected.

After all that, the explanation as to where you turn on Eucon in Pro Tools is vague, at best.

Compared to Neyrinck the set up is a bit more straight forward with no need to set up controller settings.

The app:

Right off the start, without needing to restart Pro Tools or the App the faders come up and are all locked in. My opinion, V-control is more visually appealing with Pro Tools Control being dark with wasted space and page.

To access inserts in PTC is not intuitive as it is in V-Control. One HUGE perk to V-control is the 'window' option where you're able to view your actual desktop. This comes in very handy and PTC is definitely missing this feature.

A feature I was really hoping to have is the ability to create Playlists from the control. Both apps lack this feature, as far as I can tell.

Operation:

PTC's meters are SUPER lagged and would often momentarily freeze. The meters lag slightly in V-Control, but nearly as bad as PTC.

The nail in the coffin for PTC, for me, was when after a few minutes at idle. The app began to constantly drop & reconnect.

Conclusion:

Although I have had my fair share of troubles with V-Control, since PT 12.1 it is been stable, connects consistently and never drops. At the end of the day, for FREE, the Pro Tools|Control is a neat tool that is still in its infancy. If you're 'seriously' looking to control your DAW with an iOS device then spending the money on Neyrinck V-Control is a better option.

I work for neither company, and this is my experience. Please share yours.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors