How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2014, 01:53 PM

Default "Low Latency Monitoring" with 3rd Party Interfaces

Hi AVID,

It's been a while since I've used "Low Latency Monitoring" and couldn't locate the specifics in the PT Manual.

Is this feature only available with Digi/Avid audio interfaces?

I tried using this option with an Apogee "Duet for iPad/Mac" and when I put the track into record... No sound.

It's just a mono vocal track, with no plug-ins on inserts and no bus routing to efx, etc...

I also checked to make sure my I/O routing was set up correctly.

I first tried using the Duet at a buffer size of 64 and was hearing a lot of comb filtering/doubling artifacts. And at a buffer size of 32, the Duet is useless, with pops & clicks.

So I thought I'd try out the PT Low Latency Monitoring option, but no go...

MacBook Pro 15-inch with Retina display (Late 2013), 2.3 GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, 16GB SDRAM, 512GB SSD, Mavericks (10.9.1), Pro Tools 11.1.2 (Vanilla).

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-21-2014, 03:02 PM

Default Re: "Low Latency Monitoring" with 3rd Party Interfaces

Low Latency Monitoring
(Pro Tools|HD Native, 003, 003 Rack, 003 Rack+, Mbox Pro, Mbox Pro 2, and Core Audio and ASIO Interfaces with Built-in Mixers Only)

Pro Tools|HD Native, 003, 003 Rack, 003 Rack+, Mbox Pro, and Mbox Pro 2 systems can use the Low Latency Monitoring option to record with an extremely small amount of monitoring latency, to as many tracks as each system supports.
Likewise, certain Core Audio and ASIO audio interfaces that have a built-in mixer (such as the RME Fireface or the MOTU 828) can use the Low Latency Monitoring option. Only tracks with inputs set to a physical output (not an internal mix bus) use Low Latency Monitoring.

* If your Core Audio or ASIO hardware does not have a built-in mixer, Low Latency Monitoring does not function. If you do enable Low Latency Monitoring with such hardware, monitoring will not available for record-enabled tracks in Pro Tools.

To use Low Latency Monitoring:
1 Do one of the following:

* For HD Native systems, assign each track to the selected Low Latency Monitoring Path as set in the I/O Setup Output page (see Low Latency Monitoring). Only tracks assigned to these outputs use Low Latency Monitoring.

* For all other systems, assign each track output to either Output 1 or Output 2 (mono), or both (stereo). Only tracks assigned to these outputs use Low Latency Monitoring.

2 Record enable audio tracks by clicking their Record Enable buttons.

3 Select Options > Low Latency Monitoring.

When Low Latency Monitoring is enabled, any plug-ins and sends assigned to record-enabled tracks (routed to the selected Low Latency Monitoring Path with HD Native systems, or to Outputs 1–2 with all other systems) are automatically bypassed, and must remain bypassed. Also, these tracks do not register on meters for Master Faders.

Low Latency Monitoring and Bounce To Disk:
With Low Latency Monitoring enabled, only audio tracks are included with the Bounce to Disk command—Auxiliary Input and Instrument tracks are ignored. To include Auxiliary Input and Instrument tracks, disable Low Latency Monitoring before using Bounce to Disk.

* External input cannot be recorded during a Bounce to Disk. To include external input in your bounce, it must be recorded to new audio tracks before using Bounce to Disk (see Bounce to Disk).

Pgae 425 of the reference guide

Wave-T.com
Old 01-21-2014, 03:21 PM

Thanks Manny!
Old 02-08-2014, 01:56 PM

Hey all,

I'm getting started with PT using v10.3.6 with 2 Apogee Rosetta 800's. The Apogee Maestro software for setting up the Rosettas does have a software mixer. Using this mixer, I made sure that the Rosetta input fed by my vocal mic was at unity gain, routed my vocal track in PT to main stereo outputs of Rosetta #1 (outputs 1-2 of 16,) record-enabled my vocal track in PT, and experimented with enabling-disabling low-latency monitoring. I've found that I can't monitor the track when low-latency mode is enabled. I also see that the button to the right of record-enable button for the track, where input monitor can normally be selected, is grayed out.

So, is there any way- short of buying new hardware- for me to get input monitoring/low latency monitoring in PT? If not, is this limitation addressed in PT 11?

I'm used to recording in Logic with 32-sample hardware buffer size and low latency mode selected. I thought I was "upgrading" to PT native, but with minimum buffer size of 64 samples and no low-latency monitoring, now I'm not so sure.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:33 PM

Ah you mean you are using the hardware mixer in a Symphony PCIe card? There is no software mixer in Mastero that I am aware of.

I've never messed around with one to even work out if it should, but i don't think LLM via Pro Tools works to the Symphony card -- happy to be corrected) But even if Pro tools can't talk to the hardware mixer in the Symphony to do LLM you have got Maestro fired any you have the moral equivalent of Pro Tools LLM with it's hardware mixer/Mastero LLM. Just monitor though that not Pro Tools.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:29 PM

Thanks, Darryl. I'm gonna scratch my head and figure out how to monitor through the Symphony 64 card directly by reconfiguring Maestro. I think I can figure it out and, if not, I'll contact Apogee on Monday.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:06 AM

I am having the same problem in pt 10.3.9 using mac pro apollo for interface. Have u figure it out.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:26 AM

Zio, use your Apollo Console for any Low Latency monitoring .. learn it, own, it, be it .. the Console is your friend ..

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 03-01-2016, 08:05 PM

I'm running a RME Fireface800.

I've assigned anything being recorded to the 1-2 output and I still don't have low latency monitoring. Sound is totally gone in record mode.

I do believe that I have an unresolved issue with my outputs which may need to get resolved first. But in any case, there is no sound coming out through output 1-2 in LLM mode
Old 03-02-2016, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFretless
I'm running a RME Fireface800. (...) But in any case, there is no sound coming out through output 1-2 in LLM mode
This is the normal behavior => RTFM.
(Emcha_audio and john1192 already replied, and Emcha_audio even copied the Manual's explanation in post#2. Is it so difficult to just READ ???)

With LLM engaged, use RME's Totalmix FX mixer to monitor your inputs instead of PT's input monitoring.

The label "Low Latency Monitoring" is a very ambiguous. Actually LLM is only for Digi002/003. For any other coreaudio interfaces, it should be called "Input Monitoring Off" function as written in the PT's reference guide.
PT12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.11.1 (MBP)
PT 10.3.10 / PT11.3.2 / PT12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.8.5 (MM "Production" on SSD)
PT 12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.11.1 (MM "test" on HDD)
RME UFX (USB2 with MM and Firewire with MBP)
+ Vienna Ensemble Pro Server on PC Q6600/8Gb/Win7-Pro64-SP1