Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 06-13-2018, 03:45 AM

Default Endless, endless glitches trying to import audio. Better solution?

I'm fairly familiar with Pro Tools and have used it a lot on school computers and now company computers, and with generally few problems.

Now I've installed it on my personal computer and I've been hit with a tsunami of issues that is making work impossible. My PC is very powerful and has good audio hardware - better than either work or school, so I don't think that's the problem. Here's a short list of all the glitches and issues. They almost all relate to importing audio from other sources. I edited video files in Premiere Pro and am trying to send the audio to Pro Tools. Maybe someone can point out some fundamental flaw I'm doing.

1. Exported Premiere files as OMF. Selected Separate Audio Files. Imported to Pro Tools. Pro Tools will not link with the audio files - ever. I tried everything. Automatic relinking, manual relinking, pointing it to the correct folder and using automatic relinking. Nothing ever works. Tried exporting OMF with "Trim Audio Files". Still never links.
2a. Exported as "Embed Audio". Seemed to work. Finished organizing my Pro Tools session and saw that some of the clips do not play back audio. They have a waveform and the meters on the track moves - but no sound. When I send them through a bus and print them on a new track, suddenly the waveform is gone and there's still no audio. What's going on? And it's not the whole track. Some clips on the same track give sound, some do not.
2b. All of my volume adjustments are gone. I did a lot of basic volume/gain adjustments and fades in Premiere. They're all gone. It just plays all the clips at their original volume with no fades or adjustments.

So I gave up with the OMF. Tried exporting as an AAF. All of the same problems.
1. Does not link when exported as Separate Audio.
2a. Random clips will have a waveform and affect the meters, but no audio is heard. And now it's different audio clips that are affected.
2b. My volume/gain adjustments and fades seem to be in place, but this is not reflected in the waveforms or meters. They both show an unchanged volume, but I can hear the changes when it plays through my speakers.

So what is going on? Is there any way to fix this? Is there a better or different way I can export everything from Premiere Pro so I can edit it in Pro Tools? This is driving me insane.

And one other random problem. When Pro Tools launches, it makes all of my internet tabs crash and sends audio for all other programs through my horrible monitor speakers while Pro Tools comes through the nice desktop speakers. I have no idea what that's about.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:37 AM

Default Re: Endless, endless glitches trying to import audio. Better solution?

Regarding #1. This is a Premiere issue, not Pro Tools. Embedded works best

Regarding #2ab. This sounds like a routing issue in Pro Tools or hardwaree device issue within Wndows. You can read on this forum about issues with Windows not sharing the same audio device as Pro Tools for the system audio.

Regarding Volume and fades from Premiere, importing volume or clip gain is a selectable option in the import window in Pro Tools.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:54 AM

What exactly is the problem with Premiere? It seems that it exported everything fine. And Pro Tools is the program that is failing to link to the audio files.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:59 AM

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro...pro-tools.html

https://forums.creativecow.net/docs/...996878&pview=t
Old 06-13-2018, 08:58 AM

Thank you, but I don't think this addresses my question. Premiere exported everything fine. All of the audio files are there and were exported as described in the Adobe help page. The problem is Pro Tools. No matter what I do it will not link with the audio files. And if I export with Embeded audio, many of them have waveforms but no audio is heard. Also the waveforms disappear when sent through a bus and printed onto another track. I see no problem with Premiere. This seems to be Pro Tools.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:29 PM

Have a read of this. It may help.http://magicshirt.com/Export%20from%...0PT%20sp15.pdf
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n