Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2005, 08:05 PM

Default PTLE7.0 Instrument Tracks with Reason - no output?

Platform: Windows XP
Protools LE7.0cs1, Reason 3.04

I am trying to figure out the new intrument track feature. At this point, I have created a track, routed Reason as my plugin (stereo), 'no input' as my input, and Analog 1-2 as my output. When I record, whatever I am playing in Reason comes through nicely (sound, that is). The midi "notes" appear on the screen in real time and are saved. The problem is, when I try and play the file back, I hear nothing. I cannot set the output of the instrument file to a Reason component (NNXT, etc.) as they do not show up. All the levels appear to be up and nothing is muted. When I hit play, the track line moves through the midi notes, but there is no sound and the track levels do not indicate any audio is playing. Anyone know what is up? From the domcumentation, it seems as if I can use an intrument track in this way.

AN ASIDE
Also, a note to all the old guard. Setting up Reason via Aux tracks and Midi tracks with a USB-based controller is no longer done in the same fashion. It used to be that you would set your Aux output to something like Bus 1-2 and the Midi input to Bus 1-2, your controller would function trhough Reason, and everything would be fine. Now, even if your controller is hooked to your PC via a USB connection (i.e. not via a MIDI cable hooked directly to your DAW), you have to set your input as the controller. Ironically, if you have an instument track and a MIDI track set up, when you play back both tracks, the MIDI track info will play through the output of the instrument track (if you mute the instrument track, you will not hear a thing), but the instrument track still does not play. It is almost as if the instrument track is acting like an AUX track that can record MIDI into itself, but not play its own info back, only that from outside sources - if that makes any sense?!

Thanks,
Doug
Old 12-26-2005, 09:48 PM

Default Re: PTLE7.0 Instrument Tracks with Reason - no output?

dwacker

Quote:
I am trying to figure out the new intrument track feature. At this point, I have created a track, routed Reason as my plugin (stereo), 'no input' as my input, and Analog 1-2 as my output. When I record, whatever I am playing in Reason comes through nicely (sound, that is). The midi "notes" appear on the screen in real time and are saved. The problem is, when I try and play the file back, I hear nothing. I cannot set the output of the instrument file to a Reason component (NNXT, etc.) as they do not show up. All the levels appear to be up and nothing is muted. When I hit play, the track line moves through the midi notes, but there is no sound and the track levels do not indicate any audio is playing. Anyone know what is up? From the domcumentation, it seems as if I can use an intrument track in this way.

View>Mix Window and click Instruments. This will show what is classed as The Instruments View Controls. Thus being where you can route to the various Reason device channels.

filosofem

Old 12-30-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Re: PTLE7.0 Instrument Tracks with Reason - no out

Thank you!

I like ProTools, but intuitive this ain't. I am happy they added this component, though. No more AUX/MIDI dual tracking for me .

Doug