Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-03-2023, 10:10 AM

Default GUI Bug?

I've been having this issue occasionally for a few months. When I set-up sessions everything is positioned at 10:00:00:00 (or whatever start time). I start working away... all good. If I then close and re-open the session, the audio and video appear to have repositioned earlier in the timeline. However, when I playback from 10:00:00:00 the audio and video play back fine (from the start of the promo), but visually it looks like it's playing back from (in this example) 09:59:20:00ish.

So it's really only a visual, mildly annoying problem. Doesn't happen on all sessions, but I haven't noticed any particular pattern. There are no offsets at play here. I've been using PT for over 25 years and never seen this before.

MAC MINI 2018/3.2GHz Intel 6-Core i7/64GB RAM
PT2022.7 (but it was also happening on 2022.5) (Native PCIe)

I assume it's a bug - anyone else had this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT GUI Issue.jpg (52.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-03-2023, 01:35 PM

Default Re: GUI Bug?

Is it just the timecode ruler that is off? I run into the same thing randomly, and it affects my markers. They look like they're at the wrong timecode according to the ruler but when I recall them it's correct.

Very similar system specs:
Mac Mini 2018 i7
Mac OS 10.15.7
PT 2022.7

I also saw it on 2022.5... but I can't reproduce it. Seems totally random.
Old 01-04-2023, 01:34 AM

The timecode and memory locator rulers are fine, and the timecodes listed in the memory locations window are correct. The bug appears to be with the clips on the tracks and the two yellow vertical lines which represent the two memory locations. Weird!
Old 01-04-2023, 04:47 AM

Are you showing the timecode 2 ruler only maybe? And you have that set to a different TC-rate in session setup (ruler one at 24 and TC2 at 25 for example)? That would explain it. The memory locations always refer to the main TC ruler not TC2 and so does the main TC counter.

Check session setup timecode 2 TC rate and then if you have TC ruler 1 hidden in the edit window. My guess is that you're not looking at the main TC ruler.

Frank.
Old 01-04-2023, 05:59 AM

Hey Frank - you might be on to something here. The TC1 & TC2 rulers are very different and the audio appears to line up correctly against the TC2 ruler. However, TC1 & TC2 are set the same (25fps)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT GUI Issue 2.jpg (87.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-04-2023, 07:08 AM

That's weird. Have you tried switching TC 2 to something different and back to the correct rate? Maybe it's stuck and needs a little kick. Possibly a bug in 22.7? Not sure.

Or it's time to trash prefs.

I don't really know a way to create that intentionally what you are seeing there. Or some global offset in the session setup?

Or make a new session and import your tracks. Or any of the above in that order.

Just to be clear: TC2 is just a visual indicator so you can't actually work against it or spot or do any TC related stuff with it. All functions refer to TC1 (including the main counter) so you need to get get your stuff in the correct position on TC1.

Good luck.

Frank.
Old 01-04-2023, 07:13 AM

Or maybe your tracks are set to ticks timebase so all your clips move around all the time when changing the tempo? (this wouldn't explain why TC1 and TC2 aren't the same though) But maybe that's why things got kicked out of sync?
Old 01-04-2023, 07:17 AM

All that said, the main counter should never show the TC 2 values. So my guess is: it's a bug. Try trashing prefs or switch TC 2 around and see if it snaps into place.
Old 01-04-2023, 08:48 AM

I've imported tracks into a new session and that fixed the problem, but then when I closed/re-opened the session the problem came back.

I then trashed prefs, but that hasn't fixed the problem... although the TC1 & TC2 rulers do match now.

Must be a bug.

Thanks for your help Frank.