Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 09-08-2011, 09:12 AM

Default Apogee Duet horrid latency issues with PT 9.0.5

I'm running PT 9.0.5 on a Mac Pro 3.33 GHz 6 core. I have 7 GB of ram on OS 10.6.8. I bought a used Apogee Duet to get a better front end than the Digi 003 rack I have. But holy mother of god is this setup buggy. I uninstalled and reinstalled PT several times, thinking maybe its the version of PT I have. So I tried the 9.0.3 and the 9.0.2 updates. Still getting what sounds like bit-crushed audio when I playback. I set the HW buffer to the highest possible setting and still get the awful bitcrushed audio. I can get a session working if I restart my computer and open up everything fresh. I still get occasional clicks and pops at a buffer of 64, and sometimes even at 128. But if I close the session and reopen, all the problems reappear.

If I switch over to Logic 8, everything works seamlessly, of course.

I've also uninstalled and reinstalled Maestro 2 in hopes of solving the issue to no avail. Sometimes I'll close the session after I got it to work in PT, walk away, then come back, open up Maestro and it won't let me turn the phantom power on to the unit. The higher the sample rate, the worse it gets, naturally. It's to the point where I can't even entertain the idea of tracking at 96K. I've searched the net but can't seem to find anyone else encountering this much grief with their PT9/duet setup.

I hope I'm missing something stupidly simple. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Avid

Default Re: Apogee Duet horrid latency issues with PT 9.0.5

Have you tried trashing Pro Tools preferences per the info in the General Troubleshooting thread? Are you making sure to select the Duet in the Playback Engine and not the aggregate option? Have you tried testing from a different administrator account?
Old 09-08-2011, 05:11 PM

I bought a used Apogee Duet to get a better front end than the Digi 003

THIS EXPLAIN YOUR PROBLEM!!!!

I BOUGHT A USED WOLKSVAGEN TO GET A BETTER DRIVE THAN THE BMW

listen: Avid hardware goes with PT, Apogee Hardware with Logic (consumer hardware only Logic, top of the market with PT also)

IF YOU USE PT, ONLY AVID HARDWARE, with LOGIC LIVE REASON ANY HARDWARE IT'S OK. (on apple computers we all use osx not Vista!)

last week a friend told me he just bought the same apogee duet to use with Logic, he said it Rocks, but you know this is the first year Avid open PT to third parts HW, but now we have three company: COMPUTER APPLE, SOFTWARE AVID, SOUND CARD APOGEE are you shure you want to go this way????
Old 09-08-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonfi64 View Post

listen: Avid hardware goes with PT, Apogee Hardware with Logic (consumer hardware only Logic, top of the market with PT also)

IF YOU USE PT, ONLY AVID HARDWARE, with LOGIC LIVE REASON ANY HARDWARE IT'S OK. (on apple computers we all use osx not Vista!)

last week a friend told me he just bought the same apogee duet to use with Logic, he said it Rocks, but you know this is the first year Avid open PT to third parts HW, but now we have three company: COMPUTER APPLE, SOFTWARE AVID, SOUND CARD APOGEE are you shure you want to go this way????

I use an Apogee Duet with PT 9.0.4 on a mac and it is AWESOME. Just because it isn't Avid hardware doesn't mean that it can't be rock solid.

To the OP, it may be that because apogee only just released the latest firmware update for the Duet to be compatible with Lion, that it may have a few bugs with Snow Leopard? Reinstalling everything would have been my idea.... but since you've already done that I'm not sure...
Pro Tools 10.0
Apogee Duet
M-Audio BX5A's
Old 09-08-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonfi64 View Post

Tell that to all the people who are using Pro Tools 9 with Apogee products...

I guess I should throw out my Liquid Saffire 56, too. (which works fantastically well with Pro Tools 9)

Btw... I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if a Duet sounded better than an 003, at least in terms of ADDA. While I'm not a fan of Apogee (mostly for the price and ergonomics), generally speaking their stuff sounds better than Avid stuff.

People have also been able to use Apogee products like the Big Ben, and many other converters with HD for a long time now. There's nothing wrong with "mixing" brands, as long as you set it up properly.

Might wanna do some reading before pressing the capslock key...

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-08-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobach View Post
I'm running PT 9.0.5 on a Mac Pro 3.33 GHz 6 core. I have 7 GB of ram on OS 10.6.8. I bought a used Apogee Duet to get a better front end than the Digi 003 rack I have. But holy mother of god is this setup buggy. I uninstalled and reinstalled PT several times, thinking maybe its the version of PT I have. So I tried the 9.0.3 and the 9.0.2 updates. Still getting what sounds like bit-crushed audio when I playback. I set the HW buffer to the highest possible setting and still get the awful bitcrushed audio. I can get a session working if I restart my computer and open up everything fresh. I still get occasional clicks and pops at a buffer of 64, and sometimes even at 128. But if I close the session and reopen, all the problems reappear.

If I switch over to Logic 8, everything works seamlessly, of course.

I've also uninstalled and reinstalled Maestro 2 in hopes of solving the issue to no avail. Sometimes I'll close the session after I got it to work in PT, walk away, then come back, open up Maestro and it won't let me turn the phantom power on to the unit. The higher the sample rate, the worse it gets, naturally. It's to the point where I can't even entertain the idea of tracking at 96K. I've searched the net but can't seem to find anyone else encountering this much grief with their PT9/duet setup.

I hope I'm missing something stupidly simple. Any help would be appreciated.
Honestly... at this point I would say F*** 9.0.5 and 10.6.8 if at all possible.

I haven't read too much good about 9.0.5 yet, and I'm still rock solid at 9.0.0 and 10.6.5.

Instead of installing updates, I'd roll back as far as possible to see what happens.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-08-2011, 09:43 PM

Not long ago I also got a Duet 2, and for the same reason. There was a noticeable improvement in sound. With 10.6.8 and PT 9.03, it has been at least as stable as with the 003. One thing these discussions have done is to convince me not to do anymore software updates for a while.

Pro Tools 9.03
11R
Apogee Duet 2

Apple OS 10.6.8

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.21f4
Old 09-08-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
Not long ago I also got a Duet 2, and for the same reason. There was a noticeable improvement in sound. With 10.6.8 and PT 9.03, it has been at least as stable as with the 003. One thing these discussions have done is to convince me not to do anymore software updates for a while.
That's the first thing on rely when updates are concerned, not to hijack this , but really quick JeffD I have almost the same computer you have and I stuck in 6 gigs of ram and what an improvement.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:44 AM

I trashed my Pro Tools preferences and that helped with the instability of the system. However, I tried to use my Duet on my MBP and discovered the same hissing at 96kHz as I encountered on my Mac Pro. This leads me to believe I have a lemon unit. It is fairly functional now, but still has clicks and pops now and then (at 44.1, 48, and 88). Needless to say, I'm pretty disappointed, but that's the risk you run when you buy used. Thanks all for the help.

I wouldn't be too nervous about updating your system. I think the problems I am experiencing apply to my dud of a unit only.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:16 PM

I am using a Duet (original version, not Duet2) with great results. I just updated to 9.0.5 and 10.6.8 a couple of nights ago, and so far (knock on wood) no issues...hopefully it will stay that way.

FWIW and IMO, the Duet was a nice step up in sound quality from my Digi 003 that I was previously using. Of course the Duet has limited physical I/O, but I don't need a lot of I/O, so that wasn't important, and the sound quality was an improvement.

not sure where bonfi64 is coming from with that post...