Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-09-2010, 06:20 AM

Default clicking/popping noise during playback

I have one audio track with the miroslav philharmonik plug in running on it. I then have 6 midi tracks with output set to 6 separate channels within the plug in. When i play back the song i keep getting random popping and clicking sounds. Although some of them keep occurring in the same place, but on random occassions. I am using an axiom 49 midi controller that uses usb - not midi cable through my eleven rack. And have also edited some of the midi tracks manually with drawing tools etc. Does anyone know what causes this/ how to stop it.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:31 AM

Default Re: clicking/popping noise during playback

Try reducing cpu cores in the playback engine by one. So if you have a dual core processor drop to one core etc.

Neearly all IK plugs require this in Pro Tools.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:38 AM

thanks, but i am already running one core, and this clicking/popping still happens on all buffer sizes.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:51 AM

Some samplers have their own optimization settings within the plugin, is this a possibility.

Where are the sample banks stored, external or secondary drive?
Old 02-09-2010, 07:06 AM

i do not have an external hard drive, - everything is contained on my macbook pros hard disk. Also there are no preferences in miroslav that stop the clicks.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:21 AM

i have just realised the same click/pop randomly happens when i hit the stop button during playback. Also sometimes the automated volume swell at the start of my track doesn't work properly (gets stuck half way then goes to full volume instead of a gradual increase) this also happens randomly.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:35 AM

update: I have found through trial and error that the popping seems to stop if i stop the track during playback after the end of the song -once the whole track has played through. If i stop the track during playback in the middle of the song. and restart the song - the pops reappear. This doesn't make any sense to me, if someone could explain this it would be very helpful.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingof6strings View Post
i do not have an external hard drive, - everything is contained on my macbook pros hard disk. Also there are no preferences in miroslav that stop the clicks.
I'd start here as running Protools sessions on the OS drive is a known problem. See the minimum system requirements. The sessions should be on a physically different drive than the system drive (not a partition) and run at 7200 RPM or faster. The internal drive in Macbook Pros are usually 5400 RPM only and again is the system drive. For a Macbook Pro, you should get a firewire drive (definitely not a USB drive) that spins at 7200 RPM of faster and has the Oxford chipset.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 04-12-2010, 10:16 AM

hey king of 6 strings this seems to be the identical problem im having check my thread titled "question" which i posted a few days ago, if you identify with what im saying, just wondering if you found anything that helped you because i tried a few things people have mentioned and nothin is helping me, if you have some insight i would appreciate it, thanks
Old 04-12-2010, 10:31 AM

Id have to agree with Obsidian Dragon... You are probably overloading your system- Get a faster(7400 rpm)external drive and use this as your main Pt drive. You will be very limited working off of your internal drive.