Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2008, 03:32 PM

Default Advice for audiobook production?

Hey Folks:

I'm a nationally published author of a recent Americana/WW II history book (shameless plug available upon request) and have been tasked with narrating the audiobook. I have some voiceover experience, and thankfully the miracle of Pro Tools and Macintosh enables me to do most of this work from my home studio.

I'd like to come up with a sort of "signature sound" for my vocals that would be reminiscent of the 1930's era - yet not too tinny or modern. The preamps on my Digi002 strike me as somewhat plain and don't seem to have the gain to drive my Shure SM7B mic.

I thought I might look into a single-channel tube preamp like the UA Solo 610 or 710. My current gear: PT LE 7.3, AT4050 and SM7B mics, Waves Gold, PreSonus Digimax, Dual G5 2.0 GHz Mac.

Your thoughts on microphones, preamps, compression, plugins, etc would be much appreciated. I'd like this audiobook to stand out from the crowd (even though it's quite likely to be played back through some MP3 player at 75 mph on the interstate).

With appreciation,

Jack
Old 09-12-2008, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Advice for audiobook production?

Hi Jack,

I'd simply use some EQ (cutting of some bass and
some of the high frequencies, too), may putting a 'crackle'
on it if you want it to sound like a record or shellac record.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRXiBlpraNQ

Maybe using a tape saturation effect, too.

Check out http://masseyplugins.com/

I didn't manage to install it by now (some technical issues)
but it's said to be good.

... All in all I wouldn't make it too complicated and let the
content make the difference. ... If listening to a good
story (or whatever it is) may not be as useful within a
'very tricky audio mix / voice performance'.

In short, I'd keep it quite simple.

... Recordings from 1930 where not *that* much different ...
... just a little analog distortion and a quite 'thin' sound.
That's mainly it ...
... most important for the atmosphere was:

* None or few cuts
* Few basses and high frequencies
(leads to a 'soft' sound)
* 'Old music' included
* Old way of speaking

May check out this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txaR2HvnwVg

Best
Nils
Old 09-12-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBNimble View Post
Hey Folks:

I'm a nationally published author of a recent Americana/WW II history book (shameless plug available upon request) and have been tasked with narrating the audiobook. I have some voiceover experience, and thankfully the miracle of Pro Tools and Macintosh enables me to do most of this work from my home studio.

I'd like to come up with a sort of "signature sound" for my vocals that would be reminiscent of the 1930's era - yet not too tinny or modern. The preamps on my Digi002 strike me as somewhat plain and don't seem to have the gain to drive my Shure SM7B mic.

I thought I might look into a single-channel tube preamp like the UA Solo 610 or 710. My current gear: PT LE 7.3, AT4050 and SM7B mics, Waves Gold, PreSonus Digimax, Dual G5 2.0 GHz Mac.

Your thoughts on microphones, preamps, compression, plugins, etc would be much appreciated. I'd like this audiobook to stand out from the crowd (even though it's quite likely to be played back through some MP3 player at 75 mph on the interstate).

With appreciation,

Jack
Nilsk is on the right track, but I think it's important you know that the UA Solo 610 or 710 will NOT get you that sound, just like the "Elvis mic" won't get you that famous slap-echo effect. The 610 and 710 preamps don't sound "old", but recording geeks like us find those old-school knobs, lights, and dial quite sexy.

There's Vinyl, a plug that replicates the sound of old phonographs. This is right up your alley. http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/vinyl/

While the Massey tape-saturation plug is very good, it's designed to mimic the effects of modern tape. The demo version is free, but you'll have to reset its parameters every time you open the PT session.

Old recording from the 30s usually have some distortions in the midrange, most barely have any low end (compared to, say, rap music), or high end frequency content.

You can get 80% there using the Digi 7-band EQ. Use the HPF to get rid of the low end (maybe try around 300 Hz to start and then move it around till it sounds thin enough, then back off a bit). Then use the LPF to get rid of some high end (start around 10 kHz, and move it around). You can also try boosting the upper mids (to regain some clarity). Maybe a small boost around 3 or 4 kHz? Use your ears, when it sounds right it's right.

Even though you want to "stand out from the crowd", consider the needs of your audience. They'll be driving on the freeway, and your audio will be competing with lots of road noise. If you make the audio too "retro", the listener may be forced to turn up the volume, but then the sound may become "harsh". Do your readers enjoy listening to AM radio? Most people don't... and the sound sucks! :)

I'm not saying don't try it, but don't let it leave your house until some friends test it out for you.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:56 PM

Hey all, thanks for the thoughtful replies. I think you're right on here.

Interspersing historic vintage audio tracks with my "modern" narration should be enough to impart the feel of the thirties, though I'm still tempted to use a tube preamp with my AT4050 mic to take off some of the digital edge.

-Jack
Old 09-13-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBNimble View Post
Hey all, thanks for the thoughtful replies. I think you're right on here.

Interspersing historic vintage audio tracks with my "modern" narration should be enough to impart the feel of the thirties, though I'm still tempted to use a tube preamp with my AT4050 mic to take off some of the digital edge.

-Jack
You're welcome. To further whet your gear lust, UA makes a combination 610 preamp with an LA-2A compressor in the same rackmount box. A local film and post house near me has two of them for their voiceover work.

Also, the API 7600 channel strip looks sweeeet....

But definitely TRY the mic pre before you buy! And test them with YOUR mic! Different mics react differently to different mic pres.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:50 PM

Interesting project Jack! .. I produce and narrate GERMAN Radio commercials and Audio CD's with poems and ballades from German writers (Goethe, Fontane, Schiller etc.).

Perhaps we could translate and record your project into the GERMAN language ?

In any event I wish you lots of success with your project!

kind regards,
Christian
Old 09-15-2008, 12:14 AM

I second iZotope Vinyl. You might not even need to use the EQ if you use Vinyl.

If you want to spend a little more money Audio Ease Speakerphone or McDSP Futzbox might be of interest as well.