Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > MBOX Studio

Old 12-18-2022, 06:14 AM

Default Effects Loop and Review

Review:
I have had my MBS for about a month. I have to say im utterly blown away. I have owned a TON of interfaces in my time including the carbon which I promptly sold. Im almost an interface junky LOL. I have a UA Apollo X sitting here on my desk and its going in the trash ( I mean Ebay) next week. So on to my review

Sound Quality: Exceptional
Ease of use: Even a bass player can use it. A drummer? maybe difficult.

What do I like about it? A desktop style interface is more than just sound quality and I/O, it has to be easy to navigate. I have always struggled and been frustrated with alot of interfaces where you have to menu dive or take both hands off the guitar to turn on something or mute something. Not with the MBS. This baby has it all laid out right in front of you. The button to launch the control is anything short of brilliant. People online, as usual, were complaining about the big buttons and how it looks. They are insane the size is perfect. Everything is easy to get to.
MBS is like DJENT guitar. You literally can be a one finger wonder.

I think this is one of the best interfaces on the market.

Ok complaints..

1. The effects loop is not anywhere in the diagram. Can we get that added.
2. The control software does seem confusing with how the onboard effects are heard. You have to turn up the "ring" in the output section almost like you are turning up a send into the output channel.
3. The effects loop is confusing. The video shows a guitar pedal put directly in line with the guitar amp. All good, but what if you want to use time based effects? These dont go in-front of the amp. I am struggling to understand how the effects loop is designed to be used. I was looking at it as something I could use in PT but it looks like its mainly for monitoring from the Mbox input? I maybe wrong I just dont understand where it sits in the chain.
4. The location of the AVID effects tab makes it seem like its part of the channel since its so close to the channel focus tab. I wanted to send channel 1 to the effects so I clicked on the effects tab, thinking I would turn up a send into the effects processor. but this tab is not related to the channel you are currently on.
5. This maybe my lack of knowledge. But I cant get the other output channels to show up in PT. They are checked in the I/O but when I try to route a channel to another output the channels do not show up as an output option despite being checked available in PTs I/O section.
Old 12-18-2022, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Effects Loop and Review

Ok I figured out the effects loops.

1. I was setting it up properly but nothing was being routed. FIX: Goto Settings I/o and click default for all the I and O and Busses. That fixed all my issues. Now it works great.

One other issue not really a problem

If during your first use of the MBS everything is in MONO. Goto the presets and load the factory preset in the control app.
Old 12-19-2022, 11:04 AM
Avid

Default Re: Effects Loop and Review

Thanks for the great MBOX Studio feedback and review! I'm glad you were able to figure out the effects loops ok.

The situation you ran into with MBC being in mono is addressed in a 1.0.1 update we expect to release this month. Stay tuned...