Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-28-2000, 10:47 AM

Default Multi Band Compressor MC2000

Hi there, I've got a question that one of you more technically informed "cat's" might be able to answer for me. Having just had the McDSP demos of FilterBank and CompressorBank expire I am starting to experience withdrawl symptoms. The McDSP plug ins were very impressive to my ears. I highly recommend checking them out as they gave me an excellent reference for comparing other similar plug ins in terms of cpu efficiency (well written code), and sonic quality. I am definitely saving up! Here is my question; would the new MC2000 multi band compressor be a direct and perhaps more versitile option to a standard compressor like Compressorbank? In other words, I'm not clear as to whether a multi band compressor would be more of a dedicated mastering tool or whether it could function exactly as a standard compressor with the potential for additional or more finite applications? Budgetary issues aside, would you go for the multi band compressor as a direct replacement of the traditional compressor? Thanks for hopefully taking the time to respond. Peace and Beer from Vancouver. (Not to mention monsoon rains)
Old 07-28-2000, 03:59 PM
McDSP

Default Re: Multi Band Compressor MC2000

Howdy Bill,

To be certain, the MC2000 comp sections are straight from a CB1 configuration of CompressorBank (mono or stero as needed), and have all the same controls (including Knee, Bite, Release2, etc.). The crossover sections use the same dsp algorithms as FilterBank's filters.

Regarding whether the MC2000 could replace CB (short for CompressorBank) - they're different in important ways.

1) CB has a CB2 config - prefiltering the key signal with low/high/band-pass filters, or a single parametric EQ section. The filters and param-EQ have adjustable Q - so you can create resonance filtering effects, and place them in line with the compressor. Sure the MC2000 has a dedicated prefiltering system - its crossovers - but not with a Q control. The MC2000 has no paramEQ facilities.

2) CB has a CB3 config - a CB2 + a post parametric EQ. The gain on this postEQ can be fixed or dynamically change from 0 dB to the selected gain (+/-) based on the amount of signal above the compressor threshold - tracked by the attack and release controls. This is great for de-essing (can do that with the pre-filter CB2 config as well), harmonic distortion, signal enhancement, and other effects. Many comps, like the LA3A, have such a circuit that is engaged to prevent super compressed signals from sounding too dull.

3) The MC2000 is more processing intensive - so even though some effects, like de-essing, can be done with the MC2000, you have at least two compressors operating on the signal (two band config) - so twice the processing power is needed. Maybe you TDM folks are ok with that - but 001 RTAS users take note - we benchmarked the MC2000 on a G3/300 - could run 2 ok, 3 was really pushing it - sluggish metering, etc. CB can do up to 25 mono CB1 configs on the same machine.

Hope that answers some questions - thanks for checking out the demos! Obviously I'd like you to buy all our products, but I understand the budget thing!

Colin McDowell
McDSP, LLC

Old 07-28-2000, 04:02 PM
McDSP

Howdy again!

I should clarify the benchmark - that was for a stereo 4-band MC2000 -> 2 on a G3/300 is ok, 3 was pushing it (sluggish metering, etc.). On TDM - the MC20004-band stereo config uses 65% of a single MIX dsp.

Colin McDowell
McDSP, LLC
Old 07-28-2000, 04:31 PM

Thanks Colin for responding so quickly to my question! It seems that you are committed to providing customer service and this has great value in the marketplace as far as I'm concerned. I have nothing but positive reviews of your products and I highly suggest that all 001 owners take a few seconds to download the FilterBank and CompressorBank demo's. They worked perfectly on my G4 350 and I'm committed to buying them in the near future. Best of luck and much success to your company! Bill Miller
Old 07-29-2000, 12:02 AM

I just got the CompressorBank myself, and McDSP provided me with some very quick and professional service.

I love the sounds. I really missed it when the demo expired, so I just had to buy the darn thing.

I haven't played with the CB2 and CB3 enough to figure out the de-essing and post-EQ part, but the CB1 "drum twack" preset is killer on a snare, and I've been using one of the "optical compressor" settings on a lead vocal. It sounds nice, warm, and fat (I won't say the "ana..." word).

IMHO, the CompressorBank is one of those "essential add-ons", like the Waves L1 and Trueverb.

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.