Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-23-2001, 09:11 AM

Default jack input problems

i had all the left side input channels go down on my 001, fiddled with the inputs and a level appeared (intermitantly). contacted digi in the uk and they said it is a common problem and that my jacks weren't of a high enough quality (we're talking about a pretty decent brand new loom here, not crappy old guitar leads) and that the only solution was to go and blow more cash on gold plated neutric jacks.

anyone else had this problem ?

personally i'd say the inputs of the 001 are not of a high enough quality (my friend uses the same loom with a motu with no probs at all). add all this to the lack of dp functionality and i'm rueing the day i chose digi

the cost of the gold neutrics is going towards a swap to motu, in the meantime i fiddle about round the back of my digi trying to get an input, reminiscing about the good old days using battered hifi equipment [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Adaptec SCSI
Old 10-23-2001, 03:25 PM

Default Re: jack input problems

Somewhere over the rainbow...

Maybe someday audio components and equipment will communicate telepathically. Until then we will all suffer the trauma of tolerating tangled webs of snarling and crackling wires and cables. Even the most expensive suffer from quality control variations.

I never met a cable I liked or didn't have to repair at least once.

Waaaaaaaa [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2001, 04:06 PM

aerosol contact cleaner is some pretty wicked stuff. try spraying it on the offending cords and give the inputs the old in out a few times. you might bring the inputs and/or the cords back to life
Old 10-24-2001, 12:22 AM

Just a stupid (but unexpensive) thought: have you tried to switch cable(= put the jack previously pluged in the right input, and apparently working, in the the left input) and see what happens?
Old 10-24-2001, 07:31 AM
Avid

Here are the specs on the Analog jacks of the Digi001:

-The stacked TRS jack we currently use on the 001 is a Cliff Electronics part number CL1125W.

-This is a standard TRS jack which has internal contacts for Tip, Ring, and Sleeve. When you insert your 1/4" plug into the jack, each separate part of the plug should be touching the respective T, R, and S contacts.

Shoulder of the 1/4" TRS plug fits against outside of plastic threaded housing.
Depth of plastic threaded housing is 9.35mm.
Distance to first contact from inner edge of housing is 4.25mm.
This means that the total distance from the outside of the housing to the first ("S") contact is 13.60mm.

The next contact is 6.35mm away from the first contact.
This means that the total distance from the outside of the housing to the second ("R") contact is 19.95mm.

The next contact is another 6.35mm farther from the shoulder.
This means that the total distance from the outside of the housing to the final ("T") contact is 26.3mm.

Brent
Old 10-24-2001, 08:09 AM

If you're using a HOSA snake, that will account for the problems with intermittant signals.
Old 10-24-2001, 04:25 PM

some 1/4" male ends insert too far into the 001 plug sockets. you can work around by putting rubber bands around plug ends to prevent full insertion. or buy different cords.
Old 10-25-2001, 07:03 AM

This happened to me too. I had to patch a small mixer in quickly and used a mixed bag of leads. The fault was on the one channel not fed by a Neutrik jack.

They cost more, but they really are "lifetime jacks".