Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 06-16-2021, 02:46 AM

Default Re: The Hybrid Engine

Quote:
He's talking about PEC/Direct monitoring for post production dubbing workflows. That workflow generally has multiple Pro Tools source machines playing back which then get summed and printed to a Pro Tools recorder (dubber) system. Part of that workflow is punching in when making mix changes. When you do that you want to be able to monitor those hardware inputs (Pro Tools source machine outputs) in low latency just as you would when overdubbing a guitar, for example.

Thanks Kyle,
Sorry for giving you the wrong time, doh!

So basically as Watagushu says, with a stem or mix record channel in Hybrid mode you can drop in and out without latency jumps, with the track not in input mode?
I can see that being very useful indeed!
Old 06-18-2021, 10:39 PM

Steve‘s workflow with the voice stealing has one advantage: It copies all the takes to the new location when you have to the change the arrangement. The newer workflows with playlists and clip effects miss this feature.
To fully compensate what the voice stealing in TDM did Pro Tools needs to get an advanced selection technique to include all underlying playlists when moving or copying clips on a track, right?
Or am I missing something?

Best

Mark
Old 06-19-2021, 09:42 AM

Hi All,

I decided to post a thread over on the Post Production sub forum, posing the question to the PP guys and girls about the voice stealing workflow.

Mark Ziebarth above has joined in over there too.

If anyone's interested in continuing the conversation from a different angle, this is the thread:

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=415743

I might try and keep the two threads cross-polinated for as long as it makes sense, unless that's against the rules (Mods?).

Cheers.

Steve

Last edited by Bushpig; 06-19-2021 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-19-2021, 10:28 AM

Mark,

PS. Everything you said above, I totally agree with. And that's just the start of what's beautiful about voice stealing.

Steve
Old 07-20-2021, 01:45 AM

Hi All,

New video added to the main thread over here:

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=415743

Cheers.

Steve
Old 07-24-2021, 11:47 AM

Just finished my first Dolby Atmos mix with the Hybrid Engine.
Real game changer.
I just don't have to think about system resources anymore.

That mix had 300 tracks for a 7-minute piece with loads of 7.1.2 bussing, upmixers, tons of plugins etc.
And recording some missing foley during the mix was absolutely no problem. Record track in DSP mode, perfect recording experience.

Played completely without problems.
Combined with the new MacPros, this is a real step forward.

Congrats, great job on this Avid!
(Now please let's get the automation-doesnt-follow-moving-fades-bug out of the way)
Old 07-26-2021, 02:28 PM

Hi All,
We’ve been doing some testing with the hybrid engine and Atmos in a post-production workflow. We usually run a three pro tools system setup with atmos renderer on the dubber. We tested a layback session from last year and found that running the hybrid engine with DSP selected on the stem tracks that feed the renderer send and return plugins caused the audio to digitally distort(computer voice effect!). Not sure if this was an install error on our part or I’ve just missed the optimal workflow for this setup. Ideally I was hoping this could solve some of the problems with pec/dir monitoring and delay compensation. We generally leave Delay Comp. off so when monitoring the punch ins it sounds seemless. Any advice is appreciated or if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks
Gord
Old 07-27-2021, 09:05 PM

I haven't tried that but I do want to do some testing putting some of my reverb returns in DSP and print. I'll let you know if I hear anything "off".
Old 07-29-2021, 04:51 AM

Default Re: The Hybrid Engine-large CPU hit

Seems like you post guys are happy with the new hybrid engine. I'm trying my first music mix & I'm rather disappointed with the large CPU hit I'm experiencing. My puter's a 3.46 x 12 core, so I'm not thinking its a slouch. I normally can mix with playback at 256. With the hybrid engine, I'm only halfway thru my mix & I'm already hitting 70% CPU with playback set to 1024. I've looked around the Avid site to see if there are any suggestions for optimization, but not finding any. So I'm looking at reverting back to original HDX mode so I can mix like I usually do. If anyone who does music mixing has any observations/suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thx
Old 07-29-2021, 06:41 AM

Default Re: The Hybrid Engine-large CPU hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmprod View Post
Seems like you post guys are happy with the new hybrid engine. I'm trying my first music mix & I'm rather disappointed with the large CPU hit I'm experiencing. My puter's a 3.46 x 12 core, so I'm not thinking its a slouch. I normally can mix with playback at 256. With the hybrid engine, I'm only halfway thru my mix & I'm already hitting 70% CPU with playback set to 1024. I've looked around the Avid site to see if there are any suggestions for optimization, but not finding any. So I'm looking at reverting back to original HDX mode so I can mix like I usually do. If anyone who does music mixing has any observations/suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thx

Interesting! I have found the complete opposite to be the case. Even in hybrid mode, I can run lower sample buffers much more reliably than I could using the HDX engine alone in previous versions.

Is there perhaps a plugin in there somewhere that needs an update?
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.