Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 01-08-2011, 12:21 PM

Default USB MIDI keyboard HORRIBLE feedback noise

Hey Guys

I recently purchase a Digidesign MBox 2 running Pro Tools LE 8. I picked it up on special given Avid are liquidating the old MBox 2 stock (which is a great entry level point for me into PT).

The setup:
I have a simple setup;
- PC running Windows 7, Pro Tools Le 8.0.4
- MBox 2, connected to PC and powered via USB
- Monitoring headphones plugged into MBox 2
- Korg microStation Keyboard, connected to MBox2 via 2x 1/4 inch cables, connected to PC via USB (rather than MIDI through MBox 2), Powered via AC.

The problem: When my Korg keyboard is connected to the computer via USB the sound outputs of the MBox 2 emit a low volume high pitch whine. I am fairly sure this is coming from some kind of electrical interference from the computer.

The issue only occurs when the Korg is hooked up via USB to the computer, otherwise I have excellent audio quality (even when playing the keyboard through the MBox with the PC on.

What I've tried
  • I have tried switching cables between the Korg and the MBox and same problem.
  • I have tried different USB ports - same prob.
  • I have changed AC outlets for the microStation - same prob.

I HAVE to have the keyboard hooked up through USB-MIDI rather than the MBox's MIDI ports so that I can run the MicroSTation software as a plugin and edit presets etc, so moving to MIDI cables is not a solution.

Any help is appreciated as this sound is driving me crazy!
Old 01-06-2014, 11:26 AM

Default Re: USB MIDI keyboard HORRIBLE feedback noise

Did you ever get a solution to this issue -- i am having the same problem with a USB to MIDI interface
Old 01-11-2014, 08:56 PM

I am having the same problem with a MicroStation. It's a whiny sound that disappears when I disconnect only the Korg USB. From reading other threads/forums this doesn't sound like an exclusively Korg-related issue, although I did a double-take when I noticed that SPROYD is also using a MS. I'm leaning toward the possibility that it's a ground loop prob (need a better-shielded cable, better power conditioning, etc.). It just sounds like interference.

But, yeah, did you ever solve this issue?!? Now it's off to the Korg forums to rail about their oversight regarding MIDI Time Code... At least PT supports Beat Clock (now).
Old 01-12-2014, 05:11 PM

Thought I'd answer my own question in case someone out there stumbles upon this issue. It seems I was right about the interference. In a rookie move I wasn't using balanced 1/4" interconnects (TRS) from my hardware synth (MicroStation) to my FastTrack Duo. After realizing this "duh" scenario and changing out the cables the induction has been reduced considerably to almost nil. I believe that with higher end cables (i'm using 3' Live Wires now) the prob will be eliminated completely - not to mention, perhaps a better-shielded USB cable as well.

For now, the noise is manageable with gain staging, although that's a matter of personal taste. I worked in retail electonics and learned that nine-times-out-of-ten it's an operator error or oversight with something as "simple" as checking all connections - concerns that we sometimes take for granted. Just my two cents... "Is it plugged in..?"