Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2021, 05:32 AM

Default Horrible constant lingering feedback when recording external soundcard jack input

Hi there,

hopefully someone can shine some light on my problem.

So when recording anything through my Zoom UAC - 2 external soundcard via jack (not tried XLR yet), I am getting this really annoying constant feedback sound. The strange thing is if I move my guitar closer to my PC tower the sound gets more intense and vice versa, the further away you move the guitar away from computer, the less intense the feedback sound is.

Its a newish build with a pretty power hungry graphics card (NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2080 Super). One thing I have noticed though is the sound that the graphics card makes sounds fairly similar to the feedback sound I am getting when recording audio.

The same thing happens with my laptop but with less intensity. Funnily enough when I use to produce music using the same laptop a couple of years back I don't ever remember having the same feedback issue.

I've tried 2 different jack leads, also tried it with a P-bass to which I still get the feedback sound but with less intensity.

I also tried plugging my digital piano in via jack and you still get the lingering feedback sound. Its even more intense if you have the digital piano plugged into the computer via usb. When using the digital piano as a virtual instrument there are no problems though.

This is really confusing and really frustrating as it would be nice to just sit down in front of the PC and record without having to move a couple of meters away. Although even when moving a couple of meters away you are still getting the feedback sound :/

On my previous desktop PC I build a while ago to use Pro Tools I don't remember having this problem.

I've recorded two examples of the feedback sound with me sitting at my desk with the guitar, moving away then moving really close to the PC tower.

Clean Amp guitar sample - https://soundcloud.com/user-40698955.../s-3mOp5LGyzgh

High Drive guitar sample (WARNING!!! might be loud at first) - https://soundcloud.com/user-40698955.../s-155bT8tdRUF

Hopefully someone can help me out again and once again I will be eternally grateful!

Many thanks and stay safe!

Kind regards