Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2002, 08:45 AM

Default Had enough poor PC Support - bye!

Spent some time yesterday checking out alternatives and getting opinions while dealing with my frustrations over no XP support, etc. After hearing a pretty consistent chorus of "the folks at digi are mac snobs", "they don't care about the pc folks", etc., even from Mac folks who use TDM systems all day, then finding plenty of pc support on other sites of competing products, I've decided to spare myself all of this and move on. I want to thank all of the DUC members who have been so generous in providing the support that digi doesn't. If anyone knows a mac person who wants a 001 before mine heads to ebay, drop me a line. Not for sale to pc folks. That would be irresponsible.

JW
Old 05-07-2002, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Had enough poor PC Support - bye!

You've been on the DUC for two years. You've waited for this long, and now when we are weeks, if not days away from XP support you are abandoning ship?

I hope you find what you are looking for. Myself, I am happy with what Digi has provided for the PC so far (my PTLE is rock solid on WinME), and I'm sure I'll be even happier with it in the next few days/weeks when the new PTLE for XP is released.

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 05-07-2002, 10:43 AM

Jim,

You will be missed.

I too hate to think that you are jumping ship. I think we are really really really really really ridiculously good looking...i mean think we are close to seeing the xp release. If you can just bite down hard and count to ten the pain might just go away.

I am telling you, i really believe in what David Summich (sorry for miss spelling your name again [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ), has been telling us for almost a year now. I think we may be seeing digi taking us PC users seriously starting with this new release.

Lets think for a second that digi does release this new version of pt for xp, boasting of parity between mac and pc, if they release a version that is buggy at all all the work that went into this version could go down the drain. All people want to do is complain about anything, and if some minor bugs are in it then the mockery about "Pc parity with mac??? Yeah right. I didnt think it was possible to get a BSOD in Xp yet any time i click on PT instant BSOD". Regaurdless of how many people have no problems with the upgrade, the people waiting in the wings will definately jump ship, and pt for xp will become the joke of the recording world for mac users.

Sorry, but i think it best for digi to get all the bugs out. I mean if i am not mistaken digi started the beta in Jan. Its been 5 months, so i am sure they have to be finishing it up. We know its coming, its coming soon, so just hold on for a few more weeks.

Christian
Old 05-07-2002, 01:27 PM

Hey everybody,
I don't use PT and to be honest, I'm not even set up for any PC recording because I'm just starting BUT, I have spent the last month reading a lot of stuff from the DUC as well as other forums and sites. I feel it's safe to say, ditching digi wouldn't be the unforgivable sin. At Cubase.net I found a great deal of Aardvark users praising aardvark for their products and (XP) support (with the exception of a few dissatisfied customers)

Although, Aardvark bundles Cakewalk software, they boast compatibility with many other programs. In my opinion, they're products are designed more functionally than Digi. Price speaks volumes too and they're products are not too badly expensive for the budget user.

Just some advice. Then again you may value experience more than opinion. Take it or leave it. I just don't want to see myself quoted in the "dummest post of the week."

Later On,
guyfromky
Old 05-07-2002, 01:49 PM

Don't let the door hit you in the mouse on the way out.

No offense, but If you're going to gripe about something like lack of XP support, and then jump ship just before it's released, what can I say? Makes no sense to me.

As it's been said many times before - there are many others DAW products, some offer more features and cross compatibility than ProTools, but NONE are better.

BigRedButton / Jackson Jackson
www.jacksonbjackson.com
Old 05-07-2002, 01:50 PM

I'm a Mac guy and before I get flamed let me say this.... Nothing touches Pro Tools. i would rather use PT's on the PC then Cubase on a Mac and thats saying alot. you wont find the DUC anywhere else and why do you really need XP support? becayuse it's the latest toy? it's win2000 with a prettier interface. If all you want is the latest OS support then ypour bailing for the wrong reasons.

On the Mac side we dont have dual processor support, altivec support (an enhancment made to apps that utilize the velocity engine in the G4 processor) OR OSSX support. it's coming but who cares? i know people that are WORKING using win98 and NT and they're happy because they have better things to do then to upgrade and play with their toys. I dont know what you have in mind but nothing touches Pro Tools software.

and remember.... we are all missing virtual tracks/voices, a smpte timeline, and many features that digi feels only the tDM boys deserve. they may be Mac oriented but we have our issues with them too.

peace out and forgive my signature
Old 05-07-2002, 02:16 PM

Well...I for one am interested in XP support. I use both MAC and PC's. My MAC is dedicated to music...PC to everything else. However, the latest upgrade trends are more in favor of the PC as far as my situation is concerned. PC's are proving more econimical to maintain and have great performance too. XP has also allowed for greater stability and RAW performance. If Protools LE ran on XP, I would consider switching.

I will wait for Digi as long as I can though. I like the Protools environment. It speaks volumes when every other major party is copying the look and feel of Protools and calling their version an upgrade! To me it shows that that the Protools look and feel is prooven technolgy....not just looks. I also notice that even though the competition mimics the Protools look and feel, somehow their rendition is still cluttered and not as effecient..both in look and feel.

However, beyond that, I think more can be done to neutralize platform preference as well as introduce features still lacking. One thing though, I don't want to be forced to use a MAC for the MAC's sake. It's a great platform, but if the job can get done equally as efficient on a PC this should be a valid choice too. Hopefully this is what Digi is considering and will allow for in their next release.
Old 05-07-2002, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ckerian:
I'm a Mac guy and before I get flamed let me say this.... why do you really need XP support? becayuse it's the latest toy? it's win2000 with a prettier interface. If all you want is the latest OS support then ypour bailing for the wrong reasons.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">K...ckerian, I don't think you know what your talking about! You are a small percent right about WinXP being a diced up Win2000, but there is no support right now for either OS, and I don't think you really understand that there is a HUGE difference between Win98/ME and WinXP/2000. WinXP is a big leap forward for PC's. I hope that Digi figures that out while they are developing 5.3. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Jayman #9
Old 05-07-2002, 04:00 PM

Just installed XP and tried to load PTLE. Got this really wierd Challenge/Response

Challenge:
EYE AM TWO TIRED WAY TING FOUR KNEW OS AND FEE TOURS

Response:
YULE BEE SARI TWO STOP EWE ZING PRO TOOLS WEIGHT FOUR EX PEA

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2002, 04:20 PM

Weird...

i have never seen that type of error. What service patches have you installed???

Christian