Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-21-2002, 12:04 AM

Default Re: How to route outboard gear w/ Mbox

Anyone?
Old 04-21-2002, 12:05 AM

Default How to route outboard gear w/ Mbox

I have an Mbox and just bought my first piece of outboard gear (A reverb unit). I was just wondering how do I set it up correctly. I haven't recieved it yet, so I don't know the exact connections but I believe they are 1/4" balanced TRS.
Old 04-21-2002, 07:53 AM

You'll need a typical insert cable - a 1/4 inch balanced TRS jack that breaks out into two 1/4 inch unbalanced (?) TR jacks. Each jack is usually labeled SEND or RETURN somewhere. The TRS jack that goes into the mBox takes care of both send and return duties. Keep in mind that this system will not allow you to blend in reverb after the fact - you can only use it to process the signal before it gets recorded.

HTH
dc
Old 04-21-2002, 11:50 AM

Sinc ethe M-box has only 4 in and 4 out, You need to have an effects unit that has spdif io for use during playback/mixing. Create and aux send and assig it's output to the spdif outs to send to the reverb.
For returning the reverb, create an aux track, and assign it's inputs to spdif.

You will not be able to use the reverb and record at the same time, since only one set (either analog or spdif) of inputs is available at any given time.

If you have a mixer, you could route the analog outs of the reverb to channesl or returns on the mixer along with the M-box outs, thus freeing the M-box inputs for additional recording.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 04-21-2002, 11:52 AM

The MBox doesn't have enough I/O to make it really useful...

What you would normally do with a PT system with more I/O is create a send assigned to an output - say output 3 -- you woud then create a stereo aux track with it's inputs assigned to 3 & 4. You would hook up your reverb to I/O 3 & 4.

With the MBox, you can create a stereo track and feed the reverb return into the MBox's inputs - solo the track you want to send to the reverb.
Attach your outputs of the MBox into the inputs of the reverb and the outputs of the reverb into the inputs of the MBox.

Mute & record arm the stereo track you just created (labeled "Reverb") - use your monitor pot to blend in the reverb against the track you're sending to your reverb.

Adjust your gain and settings - when you're happy record your reverb (100% wet).

Disarm the record tracks before unsoloing the send track.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 04-21-2002, 01:44 PM

I don't have s/pdif on my reverb unit, but I do have a mixer (sort of). I have a furman mm-8a reackmount mixer. It has 4 ins, 2 outs and an aux channel I believe. (I'm not in front of it). With this setup I could work it out, right?
Old 04-21-2002, 04:59 PM

The mixer doesn't help you really if you don't have digital in's on the reverb. You might want to consider returning the M-box for an 001(if you are on a desktop with an open PCI slot) which has 8 analog and 10 digital in/outs. They are going for around $750 now new, and you can get them used (See Buy and Sell category of the DUC) as well as digibid.com and e-bay.
Old 04-21-2002, 11:58 PM

Actually Where I figured it out. It is possible, you just have to record it the way you want it. Like Dcurran said, I just have to use the TRS inserts. I just break it out to two unbalanced 1/4" and the tip connector is the send and the ring connnector is the return. Kind of a half ass workaround, but it'll have to do. BTW, the reason I don't use an 001 is because the only mac I have currently is an ibook. I'd rather use the Mbox on my ibook, then try and use an 001 with my internet machine (P3). As soon as I upgrade to a Tibook, I will be getting a magma chassis and an 001.