Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 05-21-2021, 11:36 AM

Default generating MTC

could someone give specific instructions on how to get pt to generate mtc? i have PT 9.0.6 standard and a MacBook pro os 10.6.8. i have a midi out cable connected to mbox pro going to midi in of a jlcooper synchronizer. the synchronizer is supposed to convert mtc to fsk and stripe the tape of a reel to reel. An led on the sync. box is supposed to light up (after i press play in pt and record on tape machine) when it receives mtc. it's not lighting up. i hear a tone recorded on tape, but the box generates a tone regardless of whether it has a cable connected to the input, so i can't discern whether i'm even generating mtc. In pt, in setup>peripherals>synchronization>mtc generator port, i'm not sure what should be enabled (i have the choice of mbox pro control and mbox pro external). i've tried both with no success. also, i have GEN MTC highlighted in blue on the transport window. i press play, and record on tape machine. I get nothing but the tone that's generated by synchronizer regardless of it's input. i can't tell if pt is generating mtc or not. it doesn't seem to be. is there anyway to verify for sure if it is or if it is not? i've read on other sites that the synchronizer that i have, works well, so i don't think it's the problem. it's old but i bought it new and only attempted to use it a few times. thank you, appreciate any knowledge on this.
Old 05-25-2021, 02:25 PM

Default Re: generating MTC

or, is pro tools standard capable of reading mtc and slaving and syncing to a reel to reel? i have been able to trigger it to start and stop, and it seems to have locked together in perfect sync a few times, but most of the time the tape and pt drift. i've gotten a lot of conflicting info. on this. i have heard that it CAN slave to an external source with only smpte/mtc, i have heard that it can't (only pt hd can), and i've heard that it can be triggered but not synced, and i've heard that yes it can be synced but you need not only mtc but midi word clock.