Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-08-2008, 08:17 PM

Default Updated Powermac G5 Discussion

Hello all,

So I've been limping around on a Powermac dual 1.25MHz G4 "FW800" with dual 80GB drives and 2GB ram running PTLE 7.3. This system was solid and could mix 32 tracks loaded with Waves and Bomb Factory plugs back on LE 6.1. When I upgraded to 7.3 it was still solid and stable....but slower and would choke on a mix session half the previous size. But I have a lust for analog gear and haven't allocated the funds for a new computer....though I need one.

Then last week my house was broken into and they stole my beloved, reliable ProTools Mac. Thankfully, they didn't know what a "Distressor" or "Great River" was and left about $20,000 of gear sitting next to a 5 year old Powermac worth about $300 on eBay. LOL.

So here's the deal....I really cant spring on an Intel MacPro and I have thoroughly researched all the Powermac G5 models that were made. I know all about the FSB, PCI, power supply, liquid cooling, RAM, etc. differences between them all.

I think I can spring for a Quad 2.5, given that they're in the $1300-$1500 range. All of the discussions on this group that I have found though searching on the Quad are from 2006. Have the issues been resolved? Is PT 7.3 or 7.4 (which I dont have yet) taking advantage of a dual-dual core system? Would I be better off buying the dual 2.7? Even a used Quad G5 is stretching my budget so no, a MacIntel refurb is not an option.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 09-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Avid

Default Re: Updated Powermac G5 Discussion

Quote:
Have the issues been resolved?
Is there one you were looking at, specifically?

Quote:
Is PT 7.3 or 7.4 (which I dont have yet) taking advantage of a dual-dual core system?
Yes.

Quote:
Would I be better off buying the dual 2.7?
Not really.

I know you said a MacPro is out of the question, but if you want to get the most out of your system, stretching for one would be to your advantage. What about one of these?

MacPro for $1700 on Ebay

MacPro Dual 2ghz for $1525

Quad Core MacPro Refurb for $1899 (Dealer)
Old 09-09-2008, 01:42 PM

Thanks for the response! Is a Mac Pro dual core, dual 2.0GHz really going to give me that much more performance over the PPC quad 2.5GHz? I understand the improvements Apple made to the Mac Pro over the Powermac G5, but is the raw power of the 4 core Intel dual 2GHz a big improvement over the PPC quad 2.5Ghz? The Quad 2.5 still has a faster FSB, though the Intel 2.0 has more cache and uses faster RAM (and I guess a better chip design given it's 65nm design on the 5130 verses the 90nm of the G5's 970fx).

I know there are a lot of variables....and the G5 Quad 2.5 is about the same price as the Intel dual core-dual 2.0....I just need the most bang for my buck now. There are so many Powermac G5's still in use that I dont forsee the PPC machines being useless in the near future. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 09-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Avid

I don't know that you'd see much of a performance increase, but what you're getting is something a bit more 'future-proof', with comparable performance. It's likely that development for PPC is going to slow down and rumor has it that Apple will not support PPC in their 'SnowLeopard' release.

If that's not a concern, then the G5 may be the way to go.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:37 PM

OK....after further research, I learned that even the Mac Pro dual-dual 2.0GHz was 5-13% more powerful than the Powermac Quad G5. Obviously, I will be happier with the far improved interior design of the Mac Pro, it's improved specs (in addition to the processor) and the overall enhancements Apple made to the Pro.

So I bought one for the same price the Quad G5s were going for. Thanks so much for your guidence!

Now a question about RAM. I know that some programs wont use more than a certain amount, even if you have more installed. Is there a reasonable limit for ProTools....or will it use all the RAM you can feed it? My new machine only has the standard 1GB (512 x 2) installed but I will be buying more this week. I figure I'll start with one 4GB set (2GB x 2) then add another 4GB later. Thanks again for the advice!
Old 09-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Avid

4GB to start should be plenty - unless you're using VI's or software samplers that require a lot of RAM for samples, 4GB should give you very usable performance (FWIW - that's what most of our test systems in tech support have..).
Old 09-16-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
4GB to start should be plenty - unless you're using VI's or software samplers that require a lot of RAM for samples, 4GB should give you very usable performance (FWIW - that's what most of our test systems in tech support have..).
OK....4GB is "plenty to start with". Will ProTools by it's self use more, or no? About the only VI/Sampler I use is Reason, and that only during tracking/writing, as I record any Reason sequences as audio tracks and close it out when I'm done. Same with any soft synth....I record it as audio and pull the plugin when I'm done.

My concern is with mixing. When I load up 32 audio tracks with EQ/Comp/Delay and Verb on AUX plugs, will ProTools use all the RAM I can give it, or is there a limit? I am installing a matched quad of sticks (what Apple recommends for top performance) and dont want to waste any money buying more RAM than ProTools by it's self needs. Thanks!
Old 09-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Avid

Pro Tools itself can't use more than 4GB of RAM (any 32 bit app is limited to that amount) and will use up to that amount if necessary. Keep in mind that 4GB of RAM still has to be divided between all open apps, the OS and any hardware that requires RAM for driver data. So, while you may have 4GB installed, probably close to 1GB will be used by OS services, leaving you 3GB for everything else.

If you use a plug-in in Pro Tools that can address it's own memory space (like software samplers), they can use up to another 4GB, if available.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Pro Tools itself can't use more than 4GB of RAM (any 32 bit app is limited to that amount) and will use up to that amount if necessary. Keep in mind that 4GB of RAM still has to be divided between all open apps, the OS and any hardware that requires RAM for driver data. So, while you may have 4GB installed, probably close to 1GB will be used by OS services, leaving you 3GB for everything else.

If you use a plug-in in Pro Tools that can address it's own memory space (like software samplers), they can use up to another 4GB, if available.
i have a question, so what if you have 8GB (or more) ram in your mac pro and you have PT, Reason & MOTU (MSI), or VSL open, would PT automatically allocate and max 4GB to itself, then disperse the remaining unused RAM to the VI's and Reason application?

good thread, i've been thinking about upgrading to a mac pro in the new year.

thanks.
-