Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-24-2003, 09:44 PM

Default Tannoy Reveals. Active or Passive?

I need some monitors to replace my UNshielded Tannoy 6.5 II's. I've redone my work space a desperately need shielded monitors. Monitors aren't a huge deal for me as I've learned to mix "ok" on good headphones (due to baby and sleepy wife).

I've searched the DUC and a lot of you love the Tannoy Reveal Actives. But what if I already have a power amp (Alesis RA-100)? Will the passive ones sound just as good as the actives? I plan on checking them out at Guitar Center next week, but wanted to know what you thought. Because to me, they should sound REALLY close. And i'm interested in knowing what they should sound like compared to my 6.5's? (Which will soon probably be for sale).

Thanks!

Jason
OWC External FW HDD
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonsheroan
Old 11-24-2003, 10:23 PM

Default Re: Tannoy Reveals. Active or Passive?

Active versions of any monitor are always preferrable. alot neater coz you don't have a separate box taking up space, cheaper, and the result will always be better coz it's certain that the amp matches the speakers perfectly. as long as your amp is a good match for the passives in question, then yeah, there shouldn't be a big difference.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:20 AM

My recording instructor uses reveal passive for his home studio. He said he prefered the passive over the active for a certain sonic differences. I dun know the specifics, but thats what i remembered, and I remembered it was a red color reveal. He also put it right against the monitor screen with no problem at all.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:12 AM

I have the passive Reds with an matching InterM R300 Reference model with enough power to drive them and they are clean and open.

But I would go with the actives for you, unless you want to get a better amp than the one they have, since the active dont´have bi-amping, only a simple crossover.

That´s why I choose the passive. I can alway go and get a better amp or better cables.
But it will be hard to do so

Yes, and also listen the the XLR/Speaker cables, It Makes a B I G! difference.
I drive my passive with B&W wires (appr. $30/m) and they are killer. They effectivly doubled the monitors response and openess.

best
Old 11-25-2003, 05:52 AM

Hi jason.
I listened to some of your music/arrangments. It is very, very good.(very good vokal as well!)
But I can also hear that your mixes are a bit uneven(the top register, and the middle freq. suffer a bit),
And your excellent material needs to be tracked, and mixed on good monitors, not through headphones!!

You don´t have to do your mixes load, on the contrary, with a good set of monitors you´ll be fine mixing with low volume.

My advice: A.D.A.M. P11!( Save money, -then buy!)
Search for them on internett, read the reviews, and you will understand why...Your songs are worth it!
(For the record:I don´t work for A.D.A.M. in the Us, I live in Norway...he, he)

Good luck
KK.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:34 AM

another vote for passive Reveals- I auditoned both a couple years ago, and I liked the passives better- I use a Hafler p-something amp (can't remember the model number, but it's the TransNova series).

I seem to remember them being more open than the actives.

Even though this goes against conventional wisdom that actives are better, you should take your amp to the shop, plug it in to some Reveals and then listen to the actives as well and let your ears decide.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:12 AM

that is a good point see if you can bring your amp in to gc and A/B them with the actives. ya never know. i have a pair of the active ones and really like them a lot. good luck-jeff
Old 11-25-2003, 03:51 PM

I have the passive reveals with a peak audio amp.
I like them alot, however the bass response is something you have to get used to , it is hard to get right at first, however once you get into it they are pretty honest.

Good luck.
Aj
Old 11-25-2003, 04:40 PM

Hi there,

there is no effective bass response with the reveal, at least 65Hz low end is not what I call bass;-)

but tannoy has two neat subwoofers ready to take care of that.

with 31Hz and 25Hz you can go real deep.

best
Old 11-26-2003, 04:14 PM

So would it be best to go for the sub 10" or a seperate set of refference monitors, the sub 10 is quite expensive,.

Also, excuse my ignorance but where would you place the sub, in the middle of your desk?

AJ