Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2022, 01:14 AM

Default iZotope RX10

Perhaps it's significant that there is no thread on RX10 a week after release. How the mighty fall... when Pro Tools Expert gives it the thumbs down you know you're in trouble.

I downloaded the demo. Speech to Text is useless. But the new Spectral Recovery did occasionally produce great results in the low end on speech. It's hit and miss (as is so often the case in NR), it seemed to me that when fixing a gradual LF roll-off it coped better than an abrupt one (though I also had to massage lower mids with EQ afterwards. Listen out for general graunch along with boosting the fundamentals, sometimes its minimal, sometimes overwhelming.

But overall that's two majorly disappointing RX releases in a row. Meanwhile Acon go from strength to strength, and Waves Clarity was a remarkable surprise from out of nowhere. What else are people turning too these days?

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 09-12-2022, 06:45 AM

Default Re: iZotope RX10

Accentize DeRoom Pro, Chameleon, and VoiceGate.

Spectral Layers pro.

Cedar of course.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:48 AM

Izotope has been dropping the ball quite a lot in recent time. I'll be watching this thread for alternates.
Old 09-12-2022, 02:05 PM

I think their focus is now consumer/podcast. Even though I use RX every day I find that little of what they have released in the last year is a game changer for post.
Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64GB RAM OSX 13.6, PT Ultimate 2023.12 HDn, MTRX Studio, 2x Avid S1, PT Dock...
Old 09-12-2022, 02:41 PM

Watched a couple of YouTube vids on RX10 and the general consensus was to hold off on it. Speech recognition only worked on American English and some American accents but not all. Also it requires really clean audio. And the rest of the so-called updates weren't thought of all that highly either. For those on Macs you need a minimum of OSX 10.15.6.

Ozone 10 has also just dropped. Some cute stuff but nothing really in the meat and potatoes realm.

QAPLA!
Old 09-12-2022, 07:45 PM

Yeah, seems pretty not feature heavy. I know it says 10.15.7, but it is like PT where it just isn't being supported but should work fine?
Almost every plugin
Old 09-12-2022, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
Yeah, seems pretty not feature heavy. I know it says 10.15.7, but it is like PT where it just isn't being supported but should work fine?
Been using RX10 for a week now on a series and it's pretty much the same as RX9.. I got it cheap, so it was fine for me to grab.
Some of the so called new features are not good for me. The Supposed Updated Spectral Recover did not work for me at all as of yet. I was hoping to use it and was excited about that for real bad zoom audio, but did not really work. Very unintuitive for my speedy workflow where time is money, but hey I got it super cheap and it's fine. I think most of the modules under the hood are pretty much the same.
The Repair Assist PlugIn for in the session? For audio is for the birds IMHO or at least so far. Never really worked for me. the text nav I have yet to use, but might be cool for dialogue when you are hunting up words like I had to late today. Must- Speaker detection is nice too I guess, but have not used it yet either. No time..
Been working since 5am and it's now 11:30pm so I am off now.. I DID JUST BUY Ozone 10 update. Only $149 for me so a no brainer. We will see if they fixed some things, but I think it may be a sight of the times. Possibly for me more hype than innovation, but we will see. I think it's all about learning the craft in all things and then apply that knowledge. I do like AI stuff though if it works for sure. Sonible stuff is great and there are others I am sure. Looks like also they may have either done away with the standalone app for Ozone 10 like in 9 or previous that did, they say it's coming soon, but to the subscription. Not sure..
Later, G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS

Last edited by gives; 09-13-2022 at 12:22 AM.
Old 09-12-2022, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless Erik View Post
I think their focus is now consumer/podcast. Even though I use RX every day I find that little of what they have released in the last year is a game changer for post.
I think there was a big shift between 8 and 9. Until 9, each release was a hefty update with major new features, many of which were trailblazing. It also had a hefty update price to match of $299 (sales would come eventually, of course).

With 9, new features were notably thin on the ground, and the update price dropped to $149. Now in an of itself that’s not a terrible thing, but I don’t think 9 and 10 together really add up to one old-style update. The features are either irrelevant or poorly implemented or both, all at a time when competitors are delivering. I don’t know if it is to do with the Soundwide thing or what, but either a lack of resources or poor management are really biting.

I’m really quite sore that I spent a lot of time with iZotope support after the release of RX9 to demonstrate that Dialog Isolate’s new dialog detection algorithm had major issues, performing worse than RX8. They thanked me profusely and agreed they should look into it. They’ve done literally nothing. It speaks volumes to me - pouring resources into a clumsy gimmick like audio-to-text and neglecting the core business.

As I said in the OP, I’ve tried the new LF mode in Spectral Repair and when it works its really good. I’ve thought for a long time that it should be possible to detect and isolate the speech fundamentals and harmonics, and boost (even generate) those that are missing. But I feel they just stopped this mid-development. Quite subtle changes in the source can throw it off completely, and it has a tendency to just boost random bass, resulting in horrible sounding growling (that Dialog Isolate can’t get rid of, incidentally).

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 09-13-2022, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
I think there was a big shift between 8 and 9.
It all coincides with the announcement of their partnership with Native Instruments after a big technology investment firm started pouring the dollars in. Plugin Alliance & Brainworx have since joined, and much of their voucher system was reformed in the months that followed.

Check out their website.

"Soundwide on track to becoming the leading audio and music creation ecosystem".

Diverse and Integrated.

Synergy.

Empower Communities.

Collective Vision.

Serving the creator community.

Vomit. It reads like someone accidentally copied a buzzfeed '40 most meaningless business words that need to die' article. This is the future, hyped to death, endlessly cross promoted, artist endorsed, with an integrated TikTok & Instagram share button right there in the menu bar. You'll be famous overnight, doncha know?

Maybe I am just getting cynical...
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 09-13-2022, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
Nope. I tried the demo and while it installs every time I try and open it in standalone it crashes.

QAPLA!