How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2018, 01:13 PM

Default EQ Gain In Vs. Gain out

Hello,

Can someone please explain me the difference in "gain staging" with the gain in and gain out on my EQ's?

Thanks.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:44 PM

Default Re: EQ Gain In Vs. Gain out

That depends on what eq we are talking about, in the eq3 it's probably no difference apart from the position in the signal path but maybe in some analog modeling eqs the input signal can be pushed into the circuit to generate the saturation characteristics of that particular hw. The output level is usually a volume control to match the level to unity after the changes of energy introduced by the frequency boosts and cuts.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:31 PM

Hi, Thanks.

So that means that if I'm using the EQ3 7-band, I should probably be using the output gain after cut/boost for gain staging?
Old 01-06-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by federico View Post
Hi, Thanks.

So that means that if I'm using the EQ3 7-band, I should probably be using the output gain after cut/boost for gain staging?
That's ay least what I would do, I sometimes use the input gain to reduce the input level is the signal reaching the eq is too high and I can't avoid it. Think of it as a normal circuit in series: volume control>eq>volume control

Welcome to the community!
Old 01-06-2018, 03:53 PM

The idea of staging is to maintain the level hitting the 2 bus at a certain db, usually -12 to -18. so depending on how many plugins and what each is going to add(which can vary wildly), you lower or increase input or output gain of each to total your target. If its just normal subtractive eq, you might need to add some output gain. On the other hand , any thing with saturation or "analog" (adds harmonics) will often need the input or output or both gains lowered, especially if you are using more plugs after, say a compressor or tape delay sim. The total to the bus is the target, preventing clipping in each plugin along the way by watching the ins and outs db.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY View Post
The idea of staging is to maintain the level hitting the 2 bus at a certain db, usually -12 to -18. so depending on how many plugins and what each is going to add(which can vary wildly), you lower or increase input or output gain of each to total your target. If its just normal subtractive eq, you might need to add some output gain. On the other hand , any thing with saturation or "analog" (adds harmonics) will often need the input or output or both gains lowered, especially if you are using more plugs after, say a compressor or tape delay sim. The total to the bus is the target, preventing clipping in each plugin along the way by watching the ins and outs db.
Maybe I'm not understanding this but the way I see things this a slightly more complex approach, what defines what hits the 2 bus are the track faders not the gains of the plugins and although it is important to avoid clipping there's no need to maintain a target especially with the headroom offered by 24bit recording. The output gain of a plugin should be used to match the input and output levels so the effect of the plugin can be judged without having a significant difference in volume that makes things sound apparently better or worse, this is specially useful for processes like compression and equalization. Some plugins can benefit from the additional headroom in which case the input gain can be used to lower the level entering the circuit and restored back at the end with the output gain. It's a game between both sides and the most important thing the OP needs to understand is the impact that pre and post gains can have in the process the plugin is designed to do. Just my 2c
Old 01-06-2018, 10:27 PM

U R correct. I have found that some plugs perform differently depending on gain settings, so I tend to use the analog rules even in the digital realm. I agree that it isn't necessary in most cases. I didn't make that clear