Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 11-04-2014, 05:23 PM

Default Quick Key idea for hybrid atmos mixing

Long time listener, first time caller,
We are mixing in Atmos in a hybrid (Neve Console/Icon) mode and running into a bit of an issue that comes from the Dolby RMU and that we are running the FX rig in Satelite. Because of this every time that the FX session comes offline the RMU blows away the Atmos panning automation on the recorder. I have a theoretical solution but have no idea if it is possible.

Is there a way to use quick keys, Automator, apple script, etc. to get aux tracks on a recorder machine (which is the admin in Satelite mode) to switch from 'touch' to 'read' mode every time the FX machine is taken offline, and then switch it back when it is put back online?

Another theoretical solution would be for a mode Pro Tools to only record automation when tracks are being punched on the recorder. This is a feature on the Neve and Harrison consoles but not in pro tools as far as I know.

Anyway, I'm sure these are all hoop dreams but if anyone sees a possible solution I'd love to hear it!
Old 11-04-2014, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Quick Key idea for hybrid atmos mixing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandcole View Post
Is there a way to use quick keys, Automator, apple script, etc. to get aux tracks on a recorder machine (which is the admin in Satelite mode) to switch from 'touch' to 'read' mode every time the FX machine is taken offline, and then switch it back when it is put back online?
Only if your track names stay the same, in every session which is unlikely?!
I have not even checked but accessing tracks via AppleScript is hard enough, without knowing their names its impossible as track IDs change with the number of tracks you have in a session.
If you always work with the same session template and do not change the track names it may be possible with AppleScript. I do not see any chances with QuicKeys and Automator is only powerful via AppleScript but slower.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:36 PM

The tracks are auxes and only carrying the atmos plugin and do in fact have the exact same name for every session so that wouldn't be an issue there. But you're saying there might be a way to switch their mode when a Satelite machine is taken offline? Any help is great appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-06-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
But you're saying there might be a way to switch their mode when a Satelite machine is taken offline? Any help is great appreciated. Thanks!
It depends. Is there any indication in order to tell that the Satelite machine has been taken offline? A greyed out menu or the like? I am not using Satellite.
But I can give you another example, when there is no track selected in PT, the menu item "Export Selected Tracks as New Session" (File/Export/Selected Tracks as New Session...) is greyed out.
What if the Sat machine is offline?
Old 11-12-2014, 09:28 AM

There is an indication that it's taken itself offline. You can see the box go from green to black.

Screen Shot 2014-11-12 at 9.09.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-11-12 at 9.09.24 AM.png

But there isn't anything in the menu that is greyed out.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I know this can be done on the PC platform, unfortunately I'm not familiar with any of the Mac scripting languages. Since their foundations are all the same, you'll have to use a conditional statement(if, else) in your script.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-12-2014, 12:09 PM

Ok, cool. Any tips on scripting for Pro Tools? I'm a complete novice at this. Thanks!
Old 11-12-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
I know this can be done on the PC platform, unfortunately I'm not familiar with any of the Mac scripting languages. Since their foundations are all the same, you'll have to use a conditional statement(if, else) in your script.

Shane
If/else/ would work if AppleScript would know about the current state of the "box" entry. Turning it on and off is no problem but AppleScript needs to know when its on and when its off.
Take the "Count Off" option in the MIDI Control box as an example, I can turn it on and off via AppleScript but the problem is the same, its current state is unknown. I suspect the Satellite option to work the same.
I'll have to dig deeper into this but can't make any promises.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver M View Post
If/else/ would work if AppleScript would know about the current state of the "box" entry. Turning it on and off is no problem but AppleScript needs to know when its on and when its off.
Take the "Count Off" option in the MIDI Control box as an example, I can turn it on and off via AppleScript but the problem is the same, its current state is unknown. I suspect the Satellite option to work the same.
I'll have to dig deeper into this but can't make any promises.
There are a few potential different approaches that could be used for a solution then. The easiest and quickest would probably be to have the PT Operator determine the state instead of the script, which would span this into two shortcut keys or menu commands etc. A quick whiteboard solution in text form:
  • If the FX button is green/enabled, the PT Operator can hit key X which will disable the FX button and switch the aux tracks to read.
  • If the FX button is black/disabled, the PT Operator can hit key Y which will enable the FX button and switch the aux tracks to touch.

The above is just quickly generalized, but you get the idea. The script would have to be custom to their specific layout if x/y coordinates are being used as a solution of course. There are other solutions, but they would be a bit more involved. Hopefully that stirs up a few more creative ideas/solutions.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-12-2014, 03:25 PM

Yeah, that makes sense. I'm more than happy to set the initial state but after that we want it to be automated, if at all possible, so that it triggers the events when the fx come on and offline. This would take the human error out of it. Right nows we have a button that the mixer presses when he goes offline that changes the state of the automation mode, but if for some reason he forgets then it wipes out all of his automation. This isn't so much a Pro Tools issue as it is an Atmos issue and just one we need to be careful about. We're just trying to idiot proof it as much as possible but I can't seem to be able to figure out how to have applescript talk to pro tools. Thanks again for everyone's help!