How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2012, 12:25 PM

Default Eleven rack and Mackie Blackbird

Hello,

I am using Protools 10, Mac Pro and Mackie Blackbird as an input device. The Mackie does not have S/PDIF connections. Does anyone know of a way to use 11 rack as stand alone processor that will allow clean and DI signals to two mono tracks (Pro Tools) as well as reamping?

I tried an aggregate setting for input of both mackie and 11 rack. Pro Tools didn't like that. I am out of ideas.

I suppose that I can change my input device to the 11 rack when doing guit tracks. Seems like there should be a way without doing this... Kind of wish that 11 rack would just show up as plugin.

If anyone knows a way around this, it would be greatly appreciated as I am stuck!
Old 09-15-2012, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Eleven rack and Mackie Blackbird

wish I knew more!!!! The Mackie has an ADAT in and out (Toslink), what is the chance that this would work with an optical converter?

I know nothing
Old 09-16-2012, 09:26 PM

I use a few different I/O's and simply switch Playback Engines in Pro Tools for what features are required.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:55 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Do you just "N" your way in to pro tools and default the I/O's for the different device when changing?
Old 09-16-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfrank8 View Post
Hello,

I am using Protools 10, Mac Pro and Mackie Blackbird as an input device. The Mackie does not have S/PDIF connections. Does anyone know of a way to use 11 rack as stand alone processor that will allow clean and DI signals to two mono tracks (Pro Tools) as well as reamping?

I tried an aggregate setting for input of both mackie and 11 rack. Pro Tools didn't like that. I am out of ideas.

I suppose that I can change my input device to the 11 rack when doing guit tracks. Seems like there should be a way without doing this... Kind of wish that 11 rack would just show up as plugin.

If anyone knows a way around this, it would be greatly appreciated as I am stuck!
Looks like Mackie made the limiting choice of only offering ADAT/SMUX with no way to set the TOSLINK ports to S/PDIF. Having S/PDIF would have let you use a simple optical to coaxial converter. For the cost/hassle of trying to do S/PDIF or AES/EBU to ADAT/SMUX you might as well look at buying a different interface. So just hook up using analog IO.

Darryl
Old 09-16-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfrank8 View Post
Do you just "N" your way in to pro tools and default the I/O's for the different device when changing?
That works or switch playback engines in the Playback Engine dialog and default the I/O settings.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:20 AM

You could use your main outs into the line ins on the back of the blackbird, then use one of the "output to amp" jacks into the instrument in on the front of the blackbird. You'll have to set the output to amp jack to "rig input" I believe, but that should work.