Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-21-2009, 07:53 AM

Default Buying a laptop to run Pro Tools...

I'm building a small recording studio in my home, but not just for personal use. I'm new to all of this, but I after reading various websites and watching videos, I've decided on Pro Tools for my software. I'm going to be purchasing a laptop for general use, but it will also be used for my studio.

I'm not good with computers or software, so I'm trying to be sure I can get the most capable computer to begin the studio and not have problems later on. It seems most people prefer Mac over PC, but I haven't come across any solid reasoning for it. Would anyone care to explain?

I was thinking about a MacBook Pro. What specifications should I change to get maximum performance with Pro Tools and any other software I'll be using in a small studio?

This doesn't directly pertain to Pro Tools, sorry if it seems off-topic. This seems the best place to ask, since it's the program I will be using.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Buying a laptop to run Pro Tools...

You want to run a studio out of the house and you know nothing about computers, the software you'll be running, Pro Tools?

Man, that's tough.

To answer the easy question - Macs are preferred for many reasons, among them being a superior design and attention to detail similar to Digi - People that are serious about making software make hardware. There is no Microsoft computer, just a jumbled mess of an OS. PT was developed first for the Mac OS and has just worked better on the Mac (as has every single other program, in my obviously biased opinion).

Since you're just starting out, head over to the LE forum. Plenty more people over there are doing just exactly what you're asking about.

This is the TDM thread (meaning expensive PCI cards and over-priced interfaces that attach to the cards, no USB or Firewire interfaces here), and there's not a lot of laptops running into a MacBookPro-based HD system. I'd guess 99% of people on this thread are running desktop-based Macs (G5's, MacPro's, G4's). Just because I used to do it doesn't mean it's popular (and barely supported).

Good Luck.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr244 View Post
I'm building a small recording studio in my home, but not just for personal use. I'm new to all of this, but I after reading various websites and watching videos, I've decided on Pro Tools for my software. I'm going to be purchasing a laptop for general use, but it will also be used for my studio.

I'm not good with computers or software, so I'm trying to be sure I can get the most capable computer to begin the studio and not have problems later on. It seems most people prefer Mac over PC, but I haven't come across any solid reasoning for it. Would anyone care to explain?

I was thinking about a MacBook Pro. What specifications should I change to get maximum performance with Pro Tools and any other software I'll be using in a small studio?

This doesn't directly pertain to Pro Tools, sorry if it seems off-topic. This seems the best place to ask, since it's the program I will be using.
MacBook Pro 17" latest edition with 4GB RAM and a 7200 RPM Internal Drive. + 1 dedicated FW 800 drive for recording Audio and playing samples.

Mac and PT is the way to go..

A Mac is the dream woman come true. You WILL fall completely in love with her. Doesn't mean you wont fight every know and then. But the love is real and she wont EVER break your trust or heart.

Windows is falling in love with a 98 year old woman, you aint ever seen cuz you met her on the net. She is claiming to be the love of your life, and you fall in love, head over heels, but it will only last until you see her in action the first time. She WILL break your heart and trust in any other woman for the rest of your life

I would rather work on 24 Track tape than on a DAW running under Windows XP or anything else that Microsoft makes. Apple just works and Windows just doesn't. And that aint no joke.

Good Luck....
Old 02-21-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
A Mac is the dream woman come true. You WILL fall completely in love with her. Doesn't mean you wont fight every know and then. But the love is real and she wont EVER break your trust or heart.

Windows is falling in love with a 98 year old woman, you aint ever seen cuz you met her on the net.

Mac : Catherine Deneuve :: Windows : Paris Hilton

Mac : Alisson Krauss :: Windows : Britney Spears

Mac : The Beatles :: Windows : Milli Vanilli
Old 02-21-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentley ferrari View Post
mac : Catherine deneuve :: Windows : Paris hilton

mac : Alisson krauss :: Windows : Britney spears

mac : The beatles :: Windows : Milli vanilli
l o l
Old 02-21-2009, 01:30 PM

I personally like the 98 year old woman analogy myself! (and could not agree more)

But your wrong, Microsoft does make a computer, It's called the Xbox! lol! That's how serious they are at making professional grade equipment, They make toys instead.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley Ferrari View Post
Mac : Catherine Deneuve :: Windows : Paris Hilton

Mac : Alisson Krauss :: Windows : Britney Spears

Mac : The Beatles :: Windows : Milli Vanilli
Yes indeed sir!!!
Don't even waste your time with a Windoze anything...
Old 02-21-2009, 09:47 PM

I've decided to get a MacBook Pro, after reading responses here and talking to people when I went browsing today. It costs a bit more than I was hoping to spend, but it should pay for itself in the long run.

Are there any upgrades or changes I should make to a standard MBP, or should it be capable standard? I'll probably be ordering one online so I can make some adjustments.

Thanks for the replies, especially to Sean Russell, it was helpful.

Can a moderator move this to the LE forum if they happen to read this? Thanks.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:01 AM
Avid

Moved to the appropriate forum...

Those analogies made me laugh! Good stuff there...

As for the question about upgrades to the MBP - yes, you're going to want to max out the RAM and make sure to get that compatible external drive. You'll also want 2 drives for backing up your system and audio drives. Other than that, anything else is external hardware and such that you may need depending on what you're trying to do.

The MBP is a great machine - I use mine all the time for a vast majority of the work I do and it performs quite nicely.