Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-30-2023, 05:43 AM
jackmackdaddy jackmackdaddy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 83
Default Any CPR hacks for "Lost Communication with Audio Interface"?

I'm specifically referring to the Digi 003 interface but it could equally apply to other hardware interfaces with PT. When your computer/software loses contact with the interface and BEFORE you get the message "Lost Communication with interface...." (AFTER which it's a lost cause) is there a faster way to reconnect the two than shutting both down and opening from scratch?

Before AVID discontinued the Digi 003 Family app, in this situation I used to change the sample rate on the Family app and hey presto, everything would spring back to life. Much in the same way that when PT stalls from a CPU overload (and is digitally clipping) and you can open up Playback Engine and check/uncheck "Main Playback Engine" or "Minimize Additional I/O Latency".

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

P.S. My 003 craps out every time one of two room light switches are turned on/off due to some kind of surge issue I'm guessing.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-30-2023, 10:42 AM
albee1952's Avatar
albee1952 albee1952 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Norwich, CT
Posts: 39,381
Default Re: Any CPR hacks for "Lost Communication with Audio Interface"?

Hmmm, here are some thoughts:
1-(and the most important), with 002 and 003, NEVER hot-patch(connect or disconnect the firewire with things powered on) as this can fry the 002/003, the firewire card or both(an expensive lesson I learned the hard way)

2-the very first thing to do is buy a new cable as these things do go bad, and for no good reason(a cheap lesson I learned the hard way). A bad cable will give this exact message. At the worst, it doesn't help but you now have a spare cable.

3_re "My 003 craps out every time one of two room light switches are turned on/off due to some kind of surge issue I'm guessing." I would immediately get the wiring fixed by a licensed electrician, OR, get a good quality UPS to power the computer, the 003, your screens and any external drives(if any). Inconsistent power is extremely bad for digital electronics(like the 003 and your computer).
__________________
HP Z4 workstation, Mbox Studio
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...0sound%20works


The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-30-2023, 10:47 AM
JFreak's Avatar
JFreak JFreak is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 24,976
Default Re: Any CPR hacks for "Lost Communication with Audio Interface"?

^ whoever braniac designed the 6-pin firewire plug was crazy, incompetent or both. firewire 4-pin and the fw800 were good, but this problem applies to EVERY BOX using 6-pin fw400
__________________
Janne
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-02-2023, 06:16 AM
jackmackdaddy jackmackdaddy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 83
Default Re: Any CPR hacks for "Lost Communication with Audio Interface"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Hmmm, here are some thoughts:
1-(and the most important), with 002 and 003, NEVER hot-patch(connect or disconnect the firewire with things powered on) as this can fry the 002/003, the firewire card or both(an expensive lesson I learned the hard way)

2-the very first thing to do is buy a new cable as these things do go bad, and for no good reason(a cheap lesson I learned the hard way). A bad cable will give this exact message. At the worst, it doesn't help but you now have a spare cable.

3_re "My 003 craps out every time one of two room light switches are turned on/off due to some kind of surge issue I'm guessing." I would immediately get the wiring fixed by a licensed electrician, OR, get a good quality UPS to power the computer, the 003, your screens and any external drives(if any). Inconsistent power is extremely bad for digital electronics(like the 003 and your computer).
Thanks for the advice. In your second point are you referring to a power cable for the 003?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-02-2023, 07:20 AM
JFreak's Avatar
JFreak JFreak is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 24,976
Default Re: Any CPR hacks for "Lost Communication with Audio Interface"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmackdaddy View Post
Thanks for the advice. In your second point are you referring to a power cable for the 003?
The crap fw400 6-pin cable
__________________
Janne
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-02-2023, 11:25 AM
albee1952's Avatar
albee1952 albee1952 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Norwich, CT
Posts: 39,381
Default Re: Any CPR hacks for "Lost Communication with Audio Interface"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
The crap fw400 6-pin cable
This^^^
__________________
HP Z4 workstation, Mbox Studio
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...0sound%20works


The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-02-2023, 11:51 AM
jackmackdaddy jackmackdaddy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 83
Default Re: Any CPR hacks for "Lost Communication with Audio Interface"?

Thanks very much to both of you. I wasn't aware of the cable issue before but I certainly haven't changed it in years so that's my first order of business in the morning and I'm encouraged (from what I've just read now based on your advice) that it may sort out the problem. It's persisted despite me moving my studio from one location to another so I no longer think it's an electrical problem. Fingers crossed and thanks again!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-02-2023, 12:28 PM
JFreak's Avatar
JFreak JFreak is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 24,976
Default Re: Any CPR hacks for "Lost Communication with Audio Interface"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmackdaddy View Post
Thanks very much to both of you. I wasn't aware of the cable issue before but I certainly haven't changed it in years so that's my first order of business in the morning and I'm encouraged (from what I've just read now based on your advice) that it may sort out the problem. It's persisted despite me moving my studio from one location to another so I no longer think it's an electrical problem. Fingers crossed and thanks again!
Also take pliers and squeeze the long sides of the 003 fw connector ever so slightly, so that the cable has tighter fit
__________________
Janne
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-03-2023, 04:04 AM
jackmackdaddy jackmackdaddy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 83
Default Re: Any CPR hacks for "Lost Communication with Audio Interface"?

I've moved the 003 FW cable to the alternative 1394 port and so far so good. Is it possible that the first port is faulty without actually being "fried"? Also thanks for the pliers tip (I love stuff like that!) it could end up coming in very handy. Cheers.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-03-2023, 06:12 AM
jackmackdaddy jackmackdaddy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 83
Default Re: Any CPR hacks for "Lost Communication with Audio Interface"?

Alas I spoke too soon...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lost Communication With Audio Interface -6097 Bren10 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 14 08-17-2010 03:42 AM
Lost Communication with Audio Interface! richeymcc 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 15 06-11-2010 09:47 AM
Lost Communication With Audio Interface classickstudios 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 5 02-14-2010 11:30 PM
003 - lost communication with audio interface -PT LE 8.1 alex s 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 33 12-01-2009 11:48 AM
Lost Communication with "Save Copy to" Gothboy 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 11 12-09-2008 04:46 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:47 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com