Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-11-2023, 06:18 PM
Bob L's Avatar
Bob L Bob L is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 633
Default Re: Digi 003 Firewire on macOS Monterey

I'm not one for "Me, too" posts normally, but...

I've also put myself up for a heart attack or two with OCLP on a cMP 4,1>5,1 with the thought that if my rig couldn't be supported for a while longer, it would be time to start shopping computers and interfaces, etc.

After spending days watching far-more-competent MacHackers than me getting OCLP provisioned, loaded and working, I ended up with thumb drives ready to go for Monterey and Ventura. I've been running Monty on my laptop for a while and felt pretty comfy with it, so chose to park the Ventura drive for the present (electing the "Devil I know").

Finding that the 5,1 would not accept the 002/003 driver installer, I resigned myself to an updated, but PT-useless drive. Then I read here about the Neyrinck helper. To my surprise, the $0 cost install allowed my 003R to fire up and respond to my fresh Monty/PT 2023.3 system. So that's the good news.

The less great news is that PT 2023.3 annoyed me enough to ignore it and return to my Mojave/PT2022.6 drive. The missing ticks issue... it's just bizarre that that got released. The need to Force Quit Pro Tools really annoyed me. So I'm fine continuing on Mojave/2022.6, hoping for the successive updates to work more properly. Or when enough software is untenable on Mojave that it forces me to finish loading the Monty drive.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Thanks to Soundweaver for writing up the Neyrinck helper; I literally found it by accident; I rarely look at the Legacy forums, so it's Kismet that I happened on this at just the right moment.
__________________
Bob
Without a song
The day would never end
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-01-2023, 09:36 AM
basslik's Avatar
basslik basslik is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 2,048
Default Re: Digi 003 Firewire on macOS Monterey

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundweaver View Post
Hello,
I hope it won't be too late for you... I will have the same problem... I plan to upgrade my old Mac Pro 5.1 to Monterey with the Open Legacy Patcher within the next month..

Double tricky... ;-)

I'm just as crazy as you and love my old Digi 003

Weeks ago I found this driver helper for Digi 002/003, compatible with Big Sur and Monterey
https://neyrinck.com/downloads/digihelper/
Don't know yet if it will work...
if anyone out there has had experience with it please let me/ us know...
Best,
Helen
Has anyone tried it with the newest version of PT ?
__________________
MAC PRO 2010 5,1 3.46hex 128ram - MONTEREY 12.7.4- PT 2024.3 / 003 RACK SIGNATURE MOD / DIGIMAX FS / PCM90 2CHANNEL SPDIF

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-22-2024, 10:21 AM
pscott57 pscott57 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Location: Willits, Mendocino County, California, USA
Posts: 23
Default Re: Digi 003 Firewire on macOS Monterey

Hi
First time posting. I have a Digi 003, trying to get it to work with current system:
PT Artist, 2023.3.1
iMac (late 2015), OS 12.7.2
Current interface: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd generation.

I downloaded the Neyrinck "Helper Installer", went through the installation procedure and still came up with an incompatibility message; not compatible with this OS. And I notice that the latest version (11.1.5) was released in 2016 ...

Any suggestions? Seems that a couple of you had success. Maybe I've done something wrong?

I have a Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter, and a 400 to 800 converter. I turned the 003 on after connecting the FW/TB cable.
Is this the correct sequence?
Do I need the 400 to 800 adapter?
Do I need to connect the Digi003 with MIDI cables?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Paul

Last edited by pscott57; 01-22-2024 at 02:56 PM. Reason: additional info provide
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-22-2024, 06:04 PM
basslik's Avatar
basslik basslik is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 2,048
Default Re: Digi 003 Firewire on macOS Monterey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscott57 View Post
Hi
First time posting. I have a Digi 003, trying to get it to work with current system:
PT Artist, 2023.3.1
iMac (late 2015), OS 12.7.2
Current interface: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd generation.

I downloaded the Neyrinck "Helper Installer", went through the installation procedure and still came up with an incompatibility message; not compatible with this OS. And I notice that the latest version (11.1.5) was released in 2016 ...

Any suggestions? Seems that a couple of you had success. Maybe I've done something wrong?

I have a Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter, and a 400 to 800 converter. I turned the 003 on after connecting the FW/TB cable.
Is this the correct sequence?
Do I need the 400 to 800 adapter?
Do I need to connect the Digi003 with MIDI cables?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Paul
This will work every time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0jq8CXJRBU


No need for midi, unless you are using external midi devices.


FW400 to Thunderbolt will be fine.


Then ADAT from the Scarlette to the Digi 003.
__________________
MAC PRO 2010 5,1 3.46hex 128ram - MONTEREY 12.7.4- PT 2024.3 / 003 RACK SIGNATURE MOD / DIGIMAX FS / PCM90 2CHANNEL SPDIF

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-23-2024, 07:45 AM
pscott57 pscott57 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Location: Willits, Mendocino County, California, USA
Posts: 23
Default Re: Digi 003 Firewire on macOS Monterey

Thank you "basslik"
I cannot hear any audio from the youtube video, but can sort of follow along.
But it will take me some time to "decipher" how to use the terminal code and get to the next step, as I'm getting a message that in order to use "zsh" (terminal currently says "bash") I have to change 'something', and I get a link to Avid support to do so.
Obviously, I'm not too savvy with this stuff. But I'm willing to keep trying!

In the meantime, I also contacted Avid Help and got this reply: "Unfortunately, there are no drivers for this OS version and there will not be.
This hardware is end of support for many years. The only compatible/tested OS versions are the ones on the drivers pages.
I'm sorry I couldn't give you better news."
Yes, that's pretty grim. How hard can it really be for Avid to keep a driver available?
Not all engineers are wealthy.

Those who've posted to this thread seem to have gotten their unit to work, even with later OS versions than listed ...

Being able to use the 003 will give me 8 more inputs, as well as use a footswitch to start/stop. And I wouldn't have to shell out more bucks for a newer controller/interface. So it's still worth pursuing! At least until I get completely frustrated ...

Thanks to SoundWeaver, too. Your install instructions were great. But I still get the incompatibility message and the Helper won't allow me to continue.

Last edited by pscott57; 01-23-2024 at 08:42 AM. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-23-2024, 05:22 PM
basslik's Avatar
basslik basslik is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 2,048
Default Re: Digi 003 Firewire on macOS Monterey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscott57 View Post
Thank you "basslik"
I cannot hear any audio from the youtube video, but can sort of follow along.
But it will take me some time to "decipher" how to use the terminal code and get to the next step, as I'm getting a message that in order to use "zsh" (terminal currently says "bash") I have to change 'something', and I get a link to Avid support to do so.
Obviously, I'm not too savvy with this stuff. But I'm willing to keep trying!

In the meantime, I also contacted Avid Help and got this reply: "Unfortunately, there are no drivers for this OS version and there will not be.
This hardware is end of support for many years. The only compatible/tested OS versions are the ones on the drivers pages.
I'm sorry I couldn't give you better news."
Yes, that's pretty grim. How hard can it really be for Avid to keep a driver available?
Not all engineers are wealthy.

Those who've posted to this thread seem to have gotten their unit to work, even with later OS versions than listed ...

Being able to use the 003 will give me 8 more inputs, as well as use a footswitch to start/stop. And I wouldn't have to shell out more bucks for a newer controller/interface. So it's still worth pursuing! At least until I get completely frustrated ...

Thanks to SoundWeaver, too. Your install instructions were great. But I still get the incompatibility message and the Helper won't allow me to continue.

Yeah just follow the video, it works. Pretty much copying folders to a location.



THERE'S NO AUDIO, so the focus is following the video.


I'm running Monterey with PT 2023.12. So I can say it works.
__________________
MAC PRO 2010 5,1 3.46hex 128ram - MONTEREY 12.7.4- PT 2024.3 / 003 RACK SIGNATURE MOD / DIGIMAX FS / PCM90 2CHANNEL SPDIF

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-24-2024, 01:01 AM
soundweaver soundweaver is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Location: Berlin/ Germany
Posts: 9
Default Re: Digi 003 Firewire on macOS Monterey

Heho, psscot57,


because of your post I tried to install the 003 driver with the the help of Neyrink to my Ventura System on my old MacBook Pro (there is no Pro Tools, I work with my Mac Pro 5.1-it was just for testing and for the future, the day will come...).
I didn't get this incompatibility message... it was told, that the installation has been successful.

But it also didn't work... tried it severall times..

Then I tried to follow the instructions of this video... I'm also not into this Terminal-Stuff, not at all, never did it... I haven't even got the installer unpacked yet...
(could someone post this command correctly? blank characters or not?)

But I have found all the elements placed in the correct folders-so Neyrink did the job... I copied them for the future to an USB-Stick...

I used the final command from the video, typed my password, restartet- it didn't work. (I checked the security settings before, I only got this warning during the first installation).
hmmmm...
On my MacPro 5.1 it worked fine with Monterey 12.6.5.
The newest Pro Tools 2023.12. requires the latest version of Monterey (why?)
...they skipped Big Sur-is AVID crazy??? They force people to upgrade and upgrade... valuable lifetime...
Now I'm fearing this upgrade to 12.7.2... Okay, my 003 is already recognized and doing a great job...
But as I said-the day will come for Ventura...

Best,
Helen
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-24-2024, 03:13 PM
pscott57 pscott57 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Location: Willits, Mendocino County, California, USA
Posts: 23
Default Re: Digi 003 Firewire on macOS Monterey

Well Folks
I spent about an hour and a half trying to decipher the video instructions and cannot get through the Terminal instructions.
I just keep getting "no such file or directory", no matter where the Installer package is placed;
or it says simply "Could not open package for expansion: Avid 003 FamilyInstaller.pkg".
Pulling my hair out over this (without much to begin with) is not something I want to pursue for now. The 003 would certainly increase flexibility, and I'm sorry that Avid won't create a driver for it.
A waste of once-decent equipment. I also have another mic-pre unit that worked well with an older iMac, along with the 003. Unfortunately, that computer died a while back.
BUT, I will keep trying from time to time. And I'll keep my eyes open should another way might work.
AND I will post what I find if I do.
Thanks to all of you posting and offering help regarding this, especially "basslik" and Helen ("Soundweaver), and to the original post by "VisionsMusicGroup"
Paul
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-24-2024, 04:48 PM
basslik's Avatar
basslik basslik is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 2,048
Default Re: Digi 003 Firewire on macOS Monterey

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundweaver View Post
Heho, psscot57,


because of your post I tried to install the 003 driver with the the help of Neyrink to my Ventura System on my old MacBook Pro (there is no Pro Tools, I work with my Mac Pro 5.1-it was just for testing and for the future, the day will come...).
I didn't get this incompatibility message... it was told, that the installation has been successful.

But it also didn't work... tried it severall times..

Then I tried to follow the instructions of this video... I'm also not into this Terminal-Stuff, not at all, never did it... I haven't even got the installer unpacked yet...
(could someone post this command correctly? blank characters or not?)

But I have found all the elements placed in the correct folders-so Neyrink did the job... I copied them for the future to an USB-Stick...

I used the final command from the video, typed my password, restartet- it didn't work. (I checked the security settings before, I only got this warning during the first installation).
hmmmm...
On my MacPro 5.1 it worked fine with Monterey 12.6.5.
The newest Pro Tools 2023.12. requires the latest version of Monterey (why?)
Yeah I couldn't download 2023.12.1?

Updated Monterey last night to Monterey 12.7.3.

OCLP will do the usual 5 reboots, and then you will have to apply the root patches, unless you are using Martin Lo's package.

...they skipped Big Sur-is AVID crazy??? They force people to upgrade and upgrade... valuable lifetime...
Now I'm fearing this upgrade to 12.7.2... Okay, my 003 is already recognized and doing a great job...
But as I said-the day will come for Ventura...

I don't think Ventura will fly for our 5,1 since it's kexted for Apple Silicon.





Best,
Helen
__________________
MAC PRO 2010 5,1 3.46hex 128ram - MONTEREY 12.7.4- PT 2024.3 / 003 RACK SIGNATURE MOD / DIGIMAX FS / PCM90 2CHANNEL SPDIF


Last edited by basslik; 01-24-2024 at 05:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-24-2024, 04:51 PM
basslik's Avatar
basslik basslik is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 2,048
Default Re: Digi 003 Firewire on macOS Monterey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscott57 View Post
Well Folks
I spent about an hour and a half trying to decipher the video instructions and cannot get through the Terminal instructions.
I just keep getting "no such file or directory", no matter where the Installer package is placed;
or it says simply "Could not open package for expansion: Avid 003 FamilyInstaller.pkg".
Pulling my hair out over this (without much to begin with) is not something I want to pursue for now. The 003 would certainly increase flexibility, and I'm sorry that Avid won't create a driver for it.
A waste of once-decent equipment. I also have another mic-pre unit that worked well with an older iMac, along with the 003. Unfortunately, that computer died a while back.
BUT, I will keep trying from time to time. And I'll keep my eyes open should another way might work.
AND I will post what I find if I do.
Thanks to all of you posting and offering help regarding this, especially "basslik" and Helen ("Soundweaver), and to the original post by "VisionsMusicGroup"
Paul
Try this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=662ZUo15Cnc
__________________
MAC PRO 2010 5,1 3.46hex 128ram - MONTEREY 12.7.4- PT 2024.3 / 003 RACK SIGNATURE MOD / DIGIMAX FS / PCM90 2CHANNEL SPDIF

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EuCon Not Working macOS Monterey Mixmaster Rick Pro Tools 20 02-01-2023 06:50 AM
macOS Monterey 12.5 Daveporter33765 macOS 33 09-03-2022 07:51 AM
Avid Quartet and macOS Monterey gng75 Pro Tools | Duet & Pro Tools | Quartet 0 04-24-2022 05:41 PM
macOS Monterey 12.3 officially supported! DerrickC Pro Tools 62 04-01-2022 01:31 AM
Mbox3 pro MacOs Monterey SIP suggested Madsvigeholm macOS 5 12-28-2021 09:25 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:15 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com