Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 03-21-2024, 08:39 AM

Default Re: Adding Playlist View to MIDI Tracks

Just wanted to throw my voice into the chorus of 'playlists for midi' please.

It would be a very welcome addition, and something I figured we'd see by now.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar_battles View Post
Can anyone from Avid respond regarding if this is currently being developed for a future release?
Avid is not disclosing future plans.
Old 03-22-2024, 10:53 PM

Are you sure? "Planned" according to Marianna!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Good News.jpg (12.5 KB, 0 views)
32 GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage
Ventura 13.6.7
Old 05-20-2024, 02:29 AM

Well this is just crazy.

How come you can make MIDI playlists but not show them?

It makes ZERO sense. Who designed this thing? Oh I know, let's create MIDI playlists but not include a way to view them all. I mean come on....

Last edited by ralphonz; 05-20-2024 at 06:16 AM.
Old 05-21-2024, 12:30 PM

Trust me I agree. Audio playlists were released in Pro Tools 15 years ago...

For what it's worth though Logic and Fl Studio, while still being considered to be "better" for MIDI, still don't have MIDI comping so I imagine it's technically harder to achieve. Ableton added it in 2021.

If you want this feature and loop record to MIDI playlists, give Avid a call if you are on a support plan
32 GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage
Ventura 13.6.7
Old 05-22-2024, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Trust me I agree. Audio playlists were released in Pro Tools 15 years ago...

For what it's worth though Logic and Fl Studio, while still being considered to be "better" for MIDI, still don't have MIDI comping so I imagine it's technically harder to achieve. Ableton added it in 2021.

If you want this feature and loop record to MIDI playlists, give Avid a call if you are on a support plan
Thats not true, coming to Pro Tools as a long time Logic Pro user, it most definitely does have MIDI comping. It just creates it's own equivalent of playlists when you record over an existing region provided you have the correct preference set. It's a breeze to do in fact, which is why it's so frustrating trying to record multiple midi takes of a live performance in Pro Tools.

I really don't think that looping should make any difference to the options available - i.e. all options should be there regardless of whether looping is on or off.

Anyway, sorry for the vent! It's just difficult to see why they'd omit such an obviously helpful feature as being able to set a MIDI or instrument track to show the all the playlists and why, after years they'd just remove the function to create new clips instead of merging them automatically which is really unhelpful as you loose the notes you'd previously recorded while the musician is picking up the song...
Old 05-22-2024, 10:07 AM

I guess what I mean is no swipe comping for MIDI in Logic Pro which as far as I understand is a feature Logic users would want for MIDI as well as it's ingrained in some users' audio workflows.

I don't mean that looping would make a difference to the options available, just that we would need a preference or default behavior for MIDI clips recorded in loop record to be put in a new playlist per loop record pass like the preference we have for audio.

Since at the moment all playlisting keyboard shortcuts work for MIDI playlists and it is possible to make them manually after a recording pass, simply providing users with MIDI/Instrument track playlist VIEW and incorporating the Loop Record to Playlists feature for MIDI just like for audio, users would have what they need to work far more efficiently.

Also to get around how MIDI punching behavior in Pro Tools, if you make an edit selection, separate the clip, and use pre-roll, you can trim out the old material like you would with audio.
32 GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage
Ventura 13.6.7
Old 05-23-2024, 12:35 AM

Quote:
I guess what I mean is no swipe comping for MIDI in Logic Pro which as far as I understand is a feature Logic users would want for MIDI as well as it's ingrained in some users' audio workflows.
No I'm sure it does. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't got their preferences set up right.

Quote:
I don't mean that looping would make a difference to the options available, just that we would need a preference or default behavior for MIDI clips recorded in loop record to be put in a new playlist per loop record pass like the preference we have for audio.
I understand now. I think that really this setting is silly. I want pro tools to be able to create playlists automatically when NOT in loop mode - exactly like logic does with comp folders.

Quote:
Since at the moment all playlisting keyboard shortcuts work for MIDI playlists and it is possible to make them manually after a recording pass, simply providing users with MIDI/Instrument track playlist VIEW and incorporating the Loop Record to Playlists feature for MIDI just like for audio, users would have what they need to work far more efficiently.
Absolutely! They only need to add a playlist view if you ask me. As I never record in loop mode I'd want a record to playlists feature (without the necessity to have loop on) just as I would like to see with audio.

Quote:
Also to get around how MIDI punching behavior in Pro Tools, if you make an edit selection, separate the clip, and use pre-roll, you can trim out the old material like you would with audio.
Yes, but why introduce the extra steps? Why doesn't the software just create a new clip at the punch in point? Or at least have a preference to do so. As I understand it, this used to be the behaviour years ago. You do loose the MIDI notes from the existing clips though if the musician comes in a bit later and that is the problem. In audio, audio still exists outside of the clips bounds so that when you move the boudoirs of the clip you can add/remove the audio you don't need. This doesn't seem to happen with MIDI. When you move the clip boundary, the midi notes that start outside of it are lost forever.
Old 05-23-2024, 12:40 AM

Pro tools should have the equivalent of this and most of the issues recording and compiling takes (whether audio or midi) would be solved. It's one of the few things logic does better:

Old 05-24-2024, 05:16 PM

I'm sure it doesn't. Yes, I'm familiar with the preferences you posted in your screenshot. You still can't swipe comp MIDI take folders in Logic, even though you can create a take folder during loop recording. If you Google it, you will see threads of users complaining about the lack of this feature.

Pro Tools has a setting in preferences called "Send Fully Overlapped Clips to Playlist while Recording." I just tried and it's not working for MIDI though, but I believe that would be the preference. Not sure if that worked in the past for MIDI or if that's a bug.

Playlist view isn't enough. For most users who use loop record, we need loop recording MIDI to be the same as audio, so that after recording, you can see each clip in playlists view chronologically. Again MIDI playlist view would not necessitate that the user must use loop record mode. Just that loop recording midi in a non MIDI-merge workflow, should absolutely playlist each clip chronically to see in playlist view just the same as audio!!! Or at least give us an option to do so. Everyone who I've talked to about this finds it frustrating how new clips are put in the clips lost and not automatically playlisted like audio.

I don't understand why as I've heard Pro Tools used to separate MIDI clips at punch points and that they decided to remove that feature? Of course it should separate the clip where you punch in and out. Regarding your final point, I see what you're saying because Pro Tools MIDI recording either dumps all the data when using retrospective record (Option Shift Z) or only starts recording data completely disregarding Pre-Roll/Post-Roll. And also QuickPunch doesn't work any differently in MIDI than regular record. You can always punch in and out at will. So yet another workaround, but for now you could trim the right sight of the clip where you want to punch, start playback with the track record enabled and play your pass, then hit Option Shift Z. Then nothing will be lost, the entire performance will be captured, and the new data will be put into a separate clip as long as MIDI merge is off!

I can't imagine Logic's implementation (screenshot) of this working for Pro Tools because they are just fundamentally different software. Something like this would get in the way of how recording in Pro Tools already works because we can configure behavior like this already with record modes and with MIDI record and playback modes combined with MIDI merge toggle. We are not far off with just having playlist view for MIDI and instrument tracks and a loop record to MIDI playlists feature. Also punch-ins separating the clip please!
32 GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage
Ventura 13.6.7