Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 05-20-2024, 07:32 PM

Default Expand!2 crashes pro tools

I'm using Pro tools studio on a Mac with Sonoma 14.4.1. Everything was working until today - now Xpand!2 prevents pro tools from loading projects.
If I remove Xpand!2 from the plug ins folder, projects will load, but I can't play any MIDI instruments. I've tried running pro tools with and without Rosetta. Any thoughts??
Old 05-20-2024, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Expand!2 crashes pro tools

What changed?

You mean loading a cloud project or loading a session? They are different critters.

"prevents pro tools from loading".. what *exactly* happens? What errors do you get? What exactly do you see on the screen?

What *exact* version of Pro Tools? What *exact* version of XPand!2?

What happens if you trash prefs and test with a new totally empty session. What if you repeat those tests from a newly created admin account?
Old 05-21-2024, 07:35 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomdee View Post
I'm using Pro tools studio on a Mac with Sonoma 14.4.1. Everything was working until today - now Xpand!2 prevents pro tools from loading projects.
If I remove Xpand!2 from the plug ins folder, projects will load, but I can't play any MIDI instruments. I've tried running pro tools with and without Rosetta. Any thoughts??
You can try uninstalling and and reinstalling the Xpand!2 plugin from your my.avid.com/products#Myproducts page

To create a support case with Avid Support, go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support

www.topedomingo.com
Old 05-21-2024, 08:09 AM

I've currently got his issue with Helix Native with reinstalling doing nothing to address the issue. In the end, creating a new OS X user fixes the problem.

If you try this, go to settings/Users & Groups to create a new login. The when you turn on your Mac, use the new user. If this doesn't work, simply delete that user and restart.
Old 05-21-2024, 09:38 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin ice View Post
I've currently got his issue with Helix Native with reinstalling doing nothing to address the issue. In the end, creating a new OS X user fixes the problem.

If you try this, go to settings/Users & Groups to create a new login. The when you turn on your Mac, use the new user. If this doesn't work, simply delete that user and restart.
Good suggestion Thin ice

Report back and let us know if that does it Tom Dee

Marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

We're Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com
Old 05-26-2024, 07:04 AM

Response to Darryl Rams: Xpand!2. 2.2.11.ce75b63 Copyright 2023. Pro tools 24.3.1.162. Sonoma 14.4.1. Apple Studio M1 Max.
When loading a session (not a cloud project) that has multiple tracks (both audio and MIDI), pro tools will start up and load up to where the individual tracks should begin to load. However, as soon as the first track (Vox 1) begins to load, the dreaded multi-color spinning circle appears, and that's that.
I've tried re-installing a new download of Xpand!2, a new version of pro tools, and erasing the prefs file, as well opening with and without Rosetta. I have not tried running as different admin. I fear that this version of Xpand!2 is simply not compatible with Sonoma.
Old 05-26-2024, 07:11 AM

Response to Darryl Rams: Xpand!2.- 2.2.11.ce75b63 Copyright 2023. Pro tools 24.3.1.162. Sonoma 14.4.1. Apple Studio M1 Max.
When loading a session (not from the cloud) pro tools will load up to the point where it begins to load individual tracks. Then, when the first track appears on the line that shows what is loading, the dreaded spinning circle appears and that's that. I've tried re-downloading Xpand, pro tools and erasing prefs., also opening with and without Rosetta. I fear Xpand is incompatible with Sonoma. Any further thoughts? - Thanks.
Old 05-26-2024, 04:33 PM

Tom, A few things.

Xpand!2.- 2.2.11.ce75b63 is the latest/current version of XPand!2, so that's good.

Checking one thing... when you trash prefs in Pro Tools 2023.12 or later you need to manually remove the new style plugin cache files. Even if you use Pete Gate's free PT Prefs, that will not currently do this, you have to manually remove all the files here: /Users/Shared/Pro Tools/AAXPlugInCache/*

You should try that if you have not already.

BTW Avid's own documentation for trashing prefs (https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites...nd_Preferences) is missing this important step. And Avid really should have coordinated with Pete Gates to get PT Prefs to support this at release. Pay Pete, offer to help, whatever is needed. Especially since significant changes are likely to introduce problems (and have, it's clearly got problems) that do require users to trash these new cache prefs. Interestingly one the historical reasons to test from a newly created account is to make sure that if Pro Tools prefs have not been trashed properly the new Admin account won't have any prefs to start with, but now with the shared plugin cache, testing from a new Admin account does not clear those out. Even more reason Avid should have done a lot better here. Just all sloppy as heck. I've sent an frustratedgram to Marianna.

Reinstalling Pro Tools is typically a waste of time, so no surprise that did not help, one of the last things to try.

Running tests from a new Admin account is still worth trying (bad background processes running, account/filesystem permission issues, etc.), so still try that. Make sure that (and all) account(s) is not set up to use iCloud for home and documents.

Great troubleshooting that removing XPand2 lets the session load, but it still might be a corrupted session. Can you reproduce this in other sessions? Starting from a new empty session and adding XPand!2? If you can't try reprduce that behavior in other sessions try doing a Pro Tools Save Session Copy In from the old session or try importing that session content into a new session.

The Pro Tools log file may contain clues, or be helpful for support, they are plain text files, look at ~/Library/Logs/Avid/Pro_Tools_*.txt. They are cryptic but what helps is to compare a log file from a launch that opens and one that does not and see if there are any differences or warnings/errors in the log file.

I am running the same version of XPand2 on Sonoma 14.5 and other recent releases, but mostly on Intel, I ran it recently on an Apple Silicon Mac on Sonoma, I don't recall having problems, but that was on 2024.3. Avid's new plugin cache architecture seems to have introduced new issues, so you might be running into something there, because of that it may be a good idea to open a support case (if you show it was that cache, or or if you are still stuck). If you are super stuck can you try opening that session on an older version of Pro Tools? (you can for example just rename the current installed /Applications/Pro Tools.app bundle and install 2023.9 and that should work, at least enough to at least test).
Old 05-26-2024, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomdee View Post
... I've tried re-installing a new download of Xpand!2, a new version of pro tools, and erasing the prefs file, as well opening with and without Rosetta. I have not tried running as different admin...
Try disabling all 3rd-party plugs?
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 05-28-2024, 01:02 PM

I tried loading different sessions that all worked fine before, but same problem - won't load with Xpand in plug-ins folder, will load without Xpand. Tried adding Xpand after the session loaded, but the session then froze.

Tried as a new admin and that worked! Problem is that my sessions are all on the other system and when I bring them over, the audio tracks are gone, Melodyne is all greyed out - and the space bar won't work for stop / start. So it's always something!