Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 03-13-2012, 02:28 PM

Default Latency issue...

I'm quite new to Pro Tools and I've been living on these forums. I've searched several different phrases to try to find the solution to my issue to no avail.

I bought a new PC specificially for the purposes of using Pro Tools 9 and recording.
System Information
Windows 7
AMD Quad Core A-6
8G Ram

Pro Tools 9
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra

Several Acoustic instruments

Condensor Mics (yes, I know about phantom power associated with these)

Yamaha SO8 Keyboard

Okay, so I tried to give as much info as I could before I get into my problem. Hopefully it will get us to a quick solution.

So, I've been searching all tutorials that I can and trying to figure out how to use my keyboard to play various instruments (drums and keyboard primarily). When playing, I can hear the various keys, but it will not play full chords (only a couple notes at a time and with some delay when I hit them)

When trying to select a drum kit, I picked an instrument track, used XPand2, and picked my drum track. First couple of hits, awesome, but then randomly, the keys simply won't play the sound. It skips random hits. I tried to find a pattern and could not find one.

I still have time to return this computer and get an even faster one, but this one was one of the newest models out and seemed to have the speed I need, so any help would be greatly appreciated!! I just want to play my piano and insert some drums...

Thanks!!!
Old 03-14-2012, 03:45 AM

Default Re: Latency issue...

AMD processors tend to be behind Intel. I would have selected an Intel CPU unit over an AMD.

Member of Nashville R.O.P.E. Assn.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:30 AM

Latency is usually caused by badly written soundcard drivers, soundcard buffer set too high or a high latency plug somewhere in the signal chain.

D
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
ATI HD5400 series graphics card
Old 03-14-2012, 06:56 AM

Thanks for the responses. Where would I look to adjust the settings on the sound card if that is the issue (or at least where can I look to even SEE those settings?)

I am posting this question, but will look around on my own as well. I appreciate the help.

I decided to try to use a direct input from my keyboard into the M-Audio with a 1/4 in cable, but I'm so new, I'm not sure what settings I need to use to make me be able to hear it (heading over to youtube to see if there are any tutorials)....

Thanks again! So far, the keyboard is the only piece that has caused any issues. I've layered several tracks, added inserts, etc and all have done just fine. The keyboard, using the midi cable, is where the issue first arose.

Twyla
Old 03-14-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrxchic View Post
Thanks for the responses. Where would I look to adjust the settings on the sound card if that is the issue (or at least where can I look to even SEE those settings?)
Setup/Playback engine/HW Buffer size

If you want to change things, you should be able to do it from Setup/Hardware.

D
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
Old 03-14-2012, 03:17 PM

This is just so strange....so, I went in to make adjustments as suggested and they didn't seem to change a thing.

I was able to put in a loop drum track, then added guitar, keyboard, and vocals along with inserts on a couple of those (effects). The drum loop kept getting thrown off beat each time I'd add a new track.

Is this normal? I still have time to return this computer and get the top one they have, so I want to ensure it's not my computer speed that is the issue. I really don't think it is, but since I'm new to this, I thought I'd jump in here and ask you all, the experts before I go returning this computer and spending $300 more.

I don't want to buy a small midi type keyboard when I have a beautiful Yamaha SO8 that plays most of the sounds that Protools can create. It has a line out and a Midi output, so it HAS to work....I'm just doing something wrong and can't figure out what it could be. Sorry to have to ask so many questions. I'm just LOVING being able to record, and want to learn all I can!
Old 03-14-2012, 04:00 PM

Are you using ADC? If so, just adding a few inserts could put the latency up. What latency do the insert plugs report to PT?

D
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
Old 03-14-2012, 04:10 PM

Forgive me, but I don't know what ADC is ...

Also, I hope I am using the right term when I say latency. I'm not getting any error messages, or any messages at all. It's simply what I hear...a "lag" in the sound, or no sound at all depending on what I'm doing.

I think I stated this above but to save having to scroll here's an example. I've done this both ways, midi out, and line out. Then, selected a new instrument track...gone to xpand2 and selected a "piano" or a drum" In piano, if I play a chord, typically only 2 of the 3 notes play (or show on the track line) and if I try to move to the next chord, sometimes a couple will play and sometimes I have to wait a second or two to get anything to play. With the drums...if I try to play my own beat....and do the rhythm myself instead of using a loop, I can play the down beat, and maybe get the 2 in, but often the 3 is missing and when I hit 4, there it is. Sometimes, I can hit 6 beats in a row and they work and then the 7th is gone....there is no pattern to which "hits" are missing..it's pretty random.

I apologize if latency isn't the correct term. Based on what I was reading in the "search" feature, it seemed that that term was accurate. Again, apologies if it is not.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:11 PM

PS...48GB RAM!?!? I only have 8 (sorry, was reading your specs)....do I not have enough RAM?
Old 03-15-2012, 08:42 AM

As Daryl wrote use 'Setup/Playback engine/HW Buffer size' in PT.
Have you tested different buffer sizes? 128, 256, 512 etc.

There are some tweaks to do in window to get PT running smoother.

Read this?
http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=349411