Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2012, 06:49 PM

Talking Nvidia quadro new generation cards

I'm building a new pc, and I'm looking for a "qualified" video card from Nvidia. Avid recommends the quadro fx series, but I was checking the nvidia website and they have a new generation of cards that have more power, and it´s getting hard to find the last generation these days.

I ´m looking for an entry level card, like the quadro 600. Has anyone tried these yet? Does anybody know if they have issues with PT 9? (I don't want another nightmare!!) FOR AVID: Why haven't you updated these ones in the chart?? Is there something wrong about them?

Thanks everyone!
Old 02-23-2012, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Nvidia quadro new generation cards

I suspect that Avid doesn't have the time or resources to test every graphics card out there(have you tried to count them lately). Many of use are having success with many cheaper nVidia cards like the 7300LE and GeForce210 I have in 2 of my systems. Some are even using ATI cards with good results.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-23-2012, 10:06 PM

Yeah like the other guy said, I wouldnt worry about the approved graphics cards too much as long as you know which ones will work. Plus you can save some money in the process.

My experience:

I had the Geforce 220 in my old recording system and it worked perfectly. Never once had a problem, which also means the Geforce 210 will work as well. They are the same card with different specs. Can still be bought online and are dirt cheap.

On my new recording Rig I have an ATI Radeon 5850, also runs perfectly, never had a problem. You could also use the 5870 because it is the same card as the 5850 with different cooling and higher clocks.

On my mobile recording Rig I have a Radeon 5650, I decided to go with another Radeon 5 series card because of how stable the 5850 was. It paid off big time.

Plus any card that is running on an Apple computer will most likely be fine, although I dont know how much that holds true on the newest models, also interesting is Apple is running ATI Radeon cards now, which would seem weird considering how Pro Tools recommends Nvidia cards only but yet there is tons of people running Mac systems with ATI cards just fine.

So there you go, I know there is a lot more cards out there that people can recommend but there is a couple examples for you.

When it comes to Pro tools it is much more picky about you Processors, Motherboards and Fire wire cards then Graphics.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:05 AM

We had a big discussion about that on the gearslutz forum. The general agreement is that AVID is way behind the curve on hardware approval.

I was concerned as I have an ATI Radeon HD4850 video card, but it runs PT MP9 without problems (and no problems on Sonar X1 64 bit).

Member of Nashville R.O.P.E. Assn.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:42 AM

Thanks guys! Right now I´m checking the cards that you suggested and other ones as well. I found a good deal for the nvidia gts 450, maybe I´ll get that one.

I haven´t consider the ati cards since the avid compatibility states only nvidia, but you are right joesackic, right now all the macs are coming with those cards. It seems that for avid whatever comes with a mac is ok. And I don´t mean that they should test every card out there, but since they chose the quadro ones, at least they could keep up with those!More when PT has many troubles with HW compatibility comparing with cubase or reaper. Those daws never cry using the same channel quatity, using the same plugins.

Anyway, thanks for the help!! Any suggestion is well received.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:40 PM

I have a Galaxy GTS450OC, 1GB of RAM. I installed in place of my ATI Radeon HD4850 as I was having problems with compatibility with an older program. The NVIDIA cards were not supposed to have the particular compatibility problem. However, my Windows Experience Score took a 1 point drop on one of the tests. ATI fixed the compatibility problem I had and I reinstalled the ATI Radeon HD4850. The GTS450OC is packed away as a backup in case the HD4850 dies.

As I previously noted, I'm running PT MP9 with the HD4850 and no problems on a Windows 7 64 bit system.

Member of Nashville R.O.P.E. Assn.