Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 02-26-2012, 07:32 AM

Default Cutting tails of midi notes

hi
here's a question from a Logic User, who switched to Protools (and who's happy with that so far)!
when i cut a midi clip, the "clip" is cut at the end, but if there's a long midi note, the note continues (outside the clip).
to skip that tail i'm always editing that note with a trimmer. but is it possible to select the tail and press delete? maybe with a change in the preferences?
pieter
Old 02-27-2012, 12:42 AM

Default Re: Cutting tails of midi notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieterrr View Post
hi
here's a question from a Logic User, who switched to Protools (and who's happy with that so far)!
when i cut a midi clip, the "clip" is cut at the end, but if there's a long midi note, the note continues (outside the clip).
to skip that tail i'm always editing that note with a trimmer. but is it possible to select the tail and press delete? maybe with a change in the preferences?
pieter
i'm not sure i was clear on this one...
i found a similar question on the internet though (unfortunately no solution):

"Why is it when i want to shorten the region, it keeps the midi note going beyond where i shortened it? For example, i grab the end of the region and slide it to the left to shorten the region. It doesn't shorten the midi note it just stays outside of the region. Wouldn't it make sense to shorten the midi note along with the region? Or am i missing something here? As it is now, i shorten the region and then have the grab the midi note and shorten that too."
Old 02-27-2012, 03:43 AM

this guy is trimming the midi the way i want to do it! but it doesn't work... there's still a midi note hanging outside the region.
http://www.ehow.co.uk/video_4960732_...midi-data.html
is there a preference i need to change? can't find it...
Old 02-27-2012, 04:01 AM

I am also very interested to know wether or not there is a setting or something to get this to work as described. I came from version 8, which works the right way by default.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:32 AM

anyone?
Old 02-29-2012, 04:59 AM

This is just the way PT works I believe. The thing is, if you trim a region so that it ends in the middle of a note, that note will not trim with the region.

My tip would be to either quantize note off to the grid, or just switch to notes view and trim the note(s).

PS: I'm on PT 7.4.2, so there may be features in v8 and up I don't know about.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:50 AM

As long as the note start time is in the region it wont be trimmed.
So if you want to trim a region to grid and the note starts slightly earlier than the grid it wont be trimmed.

Quantize it first or trim the not separately.

Thats just that way it works.
It should be a preference if you ask me....
Old 02-29-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobogura View Post
As long as the note start time is in the region it wont be trimmed.
So if you want to trim a region to grid and the note starts slightly earlier than the grid it wont be trimmed.

Quantize it first or trim the not separately.

Thats just that way it works.
It should be a preference if you ask me....
That's not what I see here. It doesn't matter if the note starts exactly on the grid - the note will not trim back along with region end if you want the region to end in the middle of the existing note.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:33 AM

Yes you're right about that. Forget what I said.

What I was trying to say was. If the note is starting earlier than the grid and you want to trim that whole bar the note wont go away unless its starting on that grid..

Ahh. hard to explain

But this is the only time I find it very annoying. When the note starts a fraction earlier than the grid and you want to trim or cut that whole bar...

You have to remove the notes in notes view or in the midi editor if you don't want to trim or cut the region end even more...

Does this make any sense haa
Old 02-29-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobogura View Post
Yes you're right about that. Forget what I said.

What I was trying to say was. If the note is starting earlier than the grid and you want to trim that whole bar the note wont go away unless its starting on that grid..

Ahh. hard to explain

But this is the only time I find it very annoying. When the note starts a fraction earlier than the grid and you want to trim or cut that whole bar...

You have to remove the notes in notes view or in the midi editor if you don't want to trim or cut the region end even more...

Does this make any sense haa
Yes, that made sense. Gotcha!