Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 02:17 PM

Default Monitor for video playback

Hi

Does anyone know of any 14" or 15" flat LCD monitors with RCA or S-Video inputs.
The reason I'm asking is because I would rather run a 3rd LCD monitor than a Bulky TV for my PT video,
and the graphics card I'm getting has two VGA outputs (for my 2 monitors) and an S-Video which I need to run the video out of. So I either need to find a monitor with an S-Video/RCA input, or find some sort of S-Video to VGA converter.

Thanks a mill

Paul
Old 09-06-2006, 03:30 AM

Default Re: Monitor for video playback

You may want to look into some LCD TV from popular brands like Samsung or LG, as I guess they're making some 17" or 19" screens (I'm not sure about 15"). Since they're TV they should have Video or S-Video input. What video card are you going to get? If it's a Matrox you sould be able to find their own breakout cable/adapter that converts VGA into Video and S-Video: I had it included in my old G450 Millennium Dual Head and the same goes for my P750 Parhelia. It works.

Hope this helps

L.G.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:19 AM

Quote:
You may want to look into some LCD TV from popular brands like Samsung or LG, as I guess they're making some 17" or 19" screens (I'm not sure about 15"). Since they're TV they should have Video or S-Video input. What video card are you going to get? If it's a Matrox you sould be able to find their own breakout cable/adapter that converts VGA into Video and S-Video: I had it included in my old G450 Millennium Dual Head and the same goes for my P750 Parhelia. It works.

Hope this helps

L.G.
Question, can I have 2 two dual head video cards (both with TV out) and configure it for 2 LCD VGA + 1 TV s-video with PT 7.1?

Best Regards.
www.postmedia.com.ar
Old 09-06-2006, 12:17 PM

You should be able to assign the video window to any monitor, VGA or S-Video, assuming the video card(s) have been configured properly. I use two video cards to run 3 VGA monitors, and I have hooked a TV up to the S-Video output as a fourth monitor, but not for any practical purpose nor for very long, just to test. Both cards offer two VGA outputs, so I could run 4 VGA's, but 3 is all I need.

However unless you're doing video editing, I don't see why you should need a true video monitor if you're just adding audio to existing video. If you do need proper video editing you should have LCD and CRT monitors, which can be easily fed from one S-Video output. I recommend a Commodore 1080 for a cheap small hi-res CRT.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:08 PM

Here in Buenos Aires, it´s usual for the director to ask for a TV in the audio suite, they like to see their ads in a TV and not in a Monitor, with TV speaker sound and not with my 20/20bas speakers, that´s why I need the Svideo plus two LCD VGA monitors.

Besides, I want to extend the Video signal to the isobooth for ADR.

Best Regards.
www.postmedia.com.ar
Old 09-07-2006, 12:23 AM

Thanks, Yeah I checked out some brands and managed to find 14" LCD TV's. I'm looking at getting a Parhelia so that also works out good fo me.

My next piece of gear I need to track down is a box which can split one video or S-video feed into three, to feed my reference monitor, the booth monitor and the client T.V. (all the same picture)

Anyone know if there is something like this available, couldn't find anything on google.

Thanks

Paul
Old 09-07-2006, 12:53 AM

You should be able to do it with a simple video signal splitter; they come in many forms and can be both active or passive, I did a simple Google research and come up with something like THIS; if you're getting the Parhelia just know that it's putting out Video and S-Video at the same time, so you could as well use the simple video RCA signal to feed one of the monitors (maybe the one in the talent booth), which albeit a bit lower quality is still completely usable for dialog recording or voice over work (at least it's what I do). You'll be left with just one line to split.

Hope this helps

L.G.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:59 PM

Quote:

Question, can I have 2 two dual head video cards (both with TV out) and configure it for 2 LCD VGA + 1 TV s-video with PT 7.1?

Best Regards.
Yes you can. I have 2 PCIx 6600 graphics cards and I get 2 LCD display PLUS full screen video overlay on my TV. The PCIx cards are NOT running in SLi mode or connected with the SLi bridge.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:29 PM

Quote:

Yes you can. I have 2 PCIx 6600 graphics cards and I get 2 LCD display PLUS full screen video overlay on my TV. The PCIx cards are NOT running in SLi mode or connected with the SLi bridge.
Cool, that´s what I needed to know.

Thanks a lot!
www.postmedia.com.ar
Old 09-19-2006, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Best Regards.
Sorry to realive this thread, but I´ve to graphic cards, and I can´t view the movies in the TV screen.
What Quicktime version do you have? Are you using QTAlternative?

What Windows settings are you using?

Best Regards.
Fernando
www.postmedia.com.ar