Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 12-08-2021, 12:11 PM

Default Pro Tools crashes and Quick Start Menu never appears after re-launch

Hey friends. This one has stumped me for a few months now.

Over the last few months PT will randomly crash with no errors given and immediately re-launch - usually to a blank PT screen with no Quick Start Menu. If I exit and attempt to launch again, it will continue to present a blank PT screen after the launch and no Quick Start Menu displays. All of the top menu bar headers are greyed out, and when you attempt to click anything, it shows 'Pro Tools (Not Responding)' and will sit like that until I force quit PT.

The only way to get PT working again is usually rebooting a couple of times or trashing preferences. But now I'm trashing preferences almost 3 or 4 times a week just to operate in PT normally. I'm now having more writing sessions on this computer and this relatively minor annoyance is becoming a serious time-waster and buzzkill to creative sessions like these with collaborators.

PT seems to be more willing to crash when I'm using big plugins like Melodyne, NI Kontakt, or NI Guitar Rig. But recently PT doesn't discriminate and will crash if you look at it wrong.

I installed the latest PT update a month ago to see if that helped, and that introduced popping and crackling and serious audio issues that I attributed to that update being crap, and went back to the previous version. Tried uninstalling, reinstalling. Nothing.
I've worked on this machine with no issues for over a year, and it didn't seem to start doing this after any PT updates. The only thing else I can think of was it started to do this more after installing and using NI Komplete (?).

Does it sound like I have a faulty plugin? Bad PT version?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT Not Responding - No Quick Start Menu.jpg (12.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-08-2021, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools crashes and Quick Start Menu never appears after re-launch

What is this "Pro Tools 12 2021.9.1" in your signature?
Old 12-09-2021, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools crashes and Quick Start Menu never appears after re-launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
What is this "Pro Tools 12 2021.9.1" in your signature?
Oops, sorry - that was a typo. This should say 2020.9.1. Fixing now.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:08 PM

The way you likely find out if it's a bad plugin or something else is to walk thought the standard troubleshooting steps. Nobody here can guess, and asking here is just wasting time. Start at "help us help you" up the top of every DUC web page.

Check your exact Pro Tools version is supported on your exact Windows 10 build.
Check your UAD software/interface driver version is compatible with your exact Windows 10 build.
Was Windows auto update disabled? Or did problem happen after an update?
Is the system fully optimized? Do every thing possible, BIOS settings etc. (yes even if it worked before)
Trash prefs (buy the Trasher app). Test.
Move all plugins out of the plugins folder. Trash prefs again. Test (yes *always* suspect plugins)
Create a new admin account and test from there (useful, but in part a test for people failing to properly trash prefs).

The Pro Tools log files may provide a clue what is happening.
The Windows Event log may provide a clue what is happening. Look around the time of Pro Tools crashing.
Google will tell you more about both.

Still stuck, list everything you have tried and results and post a SiSoft Sandra report.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-09-2021 at 06:35 PM.