Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 07-14-2005, 01:35 PM

Default dB reference point questions

I've played with the console a bit, and I have a question regarding what 0 dB VU is in relation to full scale. Is 0 dBVU equal to -20 dBFS? The reason I ask is we're looking at purchasing the console and would be doing quite a bit of live recording with it directly to Pro Tools. If we use the auto-gain setting on each channel, it sets the levels right around 0 dB VU. Fine. If we output directly from a channel on the Venue into Pro Tools, what do the levels in Pro Tools look like? Just to clarify my question, if I have a 1k test tone running at 0dB on channel 1 directly outputted into Pro Tools, what is my level in Pro Tools going to look like?

Also, if the Venue operates at 48-bit, what happens when you send that audio into a system that's only 24 bit? Do those direct outputs get dithered?

Thanks!
Dave
Old 07-14-2005, 06:33 PM
Avid

Default Re: dB reference point questions

Hi Dave,

You have it right. Here are all of the dB equivalents for VENUE:

0 dB on VENUE = 0 dBVU = +4dBu = -20 dBFS

So a 1k test tone metering at 0 dB on VENUE would indeed show up as -20 dBFS in Pro Tools.

All direct outputs have 12 dB of gain available, so it's possible to run the levels to Pro Tools hotter than the levels for the live mix, with minimal noise penalty. Watch out for clipping though, because the signal to Pro Tools may clip before the console does, due to the gain difference.

Also, all outputs, including Direct Outputs are dithered to 24 bits.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sheldon
Old 07-18-2005, 10:25 AM

Is there a way to adjust that reference point? Or, can you just change the meter displays to show dBFS instead of dBVU? I know there has been debate on where to set levels with digital gear so I'm just curious if it's an option.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 07-18-2005, 07:04 PM
Avid

There is no adjustment of the meter scaling. You can, however, adjust the level at which the meters will turn red (clipping in most people's books) for more or less warning of possible clipping. The adjustment range is -30dBFS up to 0dBFS. Default is -6dBFS. The input and output meters can have different settings.

-Matt
Old 07-19-2005, 09:08 AM
Avid

Hi Dave,

As Matt says there's no way to change the meter scale between dBVU and dBFS. It'd be simple enough to do this for the software meters, but the console itself only has markings for dBVU so you'd lose any real reference. Some plug-ins (e.g., Serato's new Rane series) now offer two meter modes so you can choose to calibrate the plug-in meters for VENUE or Pro Tools.

Sheldon