Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-12-2005, 07:48 PM

Default help with oxygen controller

still new to all this. just bought an m audio oxygen 8 controller. loaded everything. the sales guy explained that if i hooked it up, i could then use it to control stuff in reason, auch as effects and samples fo instuments. it is hooked up via usb. using a m box. however, cannot figure out how to get either pro tools or reason to recognize. am i missing something hardware wise. i bought it because it loked like this was what i needed, soemthing easy to get started. i checked the answrbase and had no luck finding anything. any help would be greatly appreciated on how to get5 it hooked up and use. i just want to make it wokr or know what i need to buy to make this happen.
note: running the m box version of reason. t

thanks in advance
Old 02-12-2005, 08:14 PM

Default Re: help with oxygen controller

Create a stereo aux track. Insert Reason Adapted on that track. Make sure the fader on the track is turned up.

Create a MIDI track. If you have installed the Oxygen8 correctly, it should be selectable on the input of the MIDI track as "In USB Keystation" (if you're using protools version 6.7 it will be under the "predefined" menu unless you set it up in the MIDI studio setup). Select it as the input of the MIDI track, then select whichever one of the adapted instruments that you want to control as the output of the MIDI track. Record arm the MIDI track and you should be able to play that reason instrument on the Oxygen8, and also control the parameters of the instrument with the built in controllers.

If you need more detail than that, I recommend you spend some time with the manuals for all products involved.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 02-12-2005, 08:40 PM

i appreciate the help. i hjave been using pt for awhile, however, primarily for str gtr and vocals and have just recently moved toward the electronic stuff. your advice helped, however, i can see the singal now when i hit a key, however, no sound from monitors or wave shoing on the track. i hate to bother you guys, but the manuals are lacking. if you guys know of a place where i can go that could help would be, please met me know. just want to be able to add some horns and other stuff to some sessions.

thanks
Old 02-12-2005, 09:01 PM

There's a DiskFlix tutorial video about how to use reason adapted that might help.

Since you've been using PT for awhile, you know that inserts are post 'tape' and do not get recorded with the input to audio tracks. The same is true for virtual instruments. The power of rewiring the electronic instruments in this way, though, is to not have to print the sounds to an audio track at all (unless of course you really want to), thus leaving the limited number of audio tracks we have free for 'real' audio. Reason will play along without having to create the wav on an audio track, thus my instruction to create a stereo aux track.

Have you made sure the volume fader on the aux track is up? Which Reason instrument were you trying to control?

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12