How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 03-27-2020, 12:15 PM

Default weird buss latency

Hello,

Running 2018.4 on mac 10.13.6. I am using the Apogee Symphony as my 8-8

I have been running Pro Tools the same way for many years.Pretty simple and straightforward operation. Typically mostly audio tracks routed to a mixbuss..couple of sends per channel. moderate effects and plugins. I've had very few issues.

This morning i was trying to do a simple 2 channel demo, voice and guitar. I was getting a weird latency that sounded like i had my buffer settings too high. I checked and they were 32. I had a couple of plugins, so i took them off to see if they were causing it(they weren't) I tried restarting pro tools, then restarting the computer. I tried resetting my IO thinking it might be there. Didn't change anything. I have reset Symphony multiple times as well.

I finally was able to get rid of the latency by removing buss sends. This was particularly weird because they weren't even turned on. There was no signal being routed anywhere outside of the individual channels to the mixbuss.

First question is, has anyone ever had this happen? Second question, does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance

Ian
Old 03-27-2020, 06:24 PM

Default Re: weird buss latency

I have had this happen if the session had a send that goes nowhere(Example: you send an audio track to an AUX, change your mind and delete the AUX track, but leave the send).

Also(in case someone isn't aware of this), plugins on a MASTER tracks will not be compensated for latency

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-03-2020, 08:30 AM

Thanks for the response.
I had sends going to aux tracks. They were internal sends, not hardware sends, so in theory only would have had any delay based on plugin internal latency.

I found the issue to happen whether i had an active aux return setup or not. I tried different plugins with no change. The strange thing is that if i fiddled around enough i could get the latency to go away. I don't remember exactly what I did, but it seemed to be deleting send, reassiging it multiple times.

Definitely not something that made sense, nor workable. Still haven't figured it out.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:36 AM

Can you post a bit more detail about your system?
Old 04-03-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Also(in case someone isn't aware of this), plugins on a MASTER tracks will not be compensated for latency
But the latency on Master Fader caused by plugins on Master Fader won't effect any outputs unless I have separate outputs other than my main ones, right? Just want to confirm!
Old 04-03-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJENSEN View Post
Can you post a bit more detail about your system?
What else should i list?
Mac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
,Apogee symphony 8/8,
Pro Tools 2018.4

Everything connected via Symphony thunderbridge

Simple set up with only 2 channels input. All bussing internal.
-I set up the mix with 2 channels routed to a mixbuss(aux track) that then sends to my Output 1-2
-I set up 2 effects sends on aux busses, one for reverb, one for delay. This is sent to my mix buss, though i tried going straight to Output 1-2 with no difference
-I use the sends routed to those busses. From the time i pull up either the reverb send or the delay send i get a weird latency. This happens regardless of the plugin used for delay and reverb, and regardless of whether signal is going there or not.

Again, I have tried deleting all IO and resetting it. Restarting everything.

The strange thing is I don't think i have ever encountered this before, and the system is so simple