Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 08:17 AM

Default Pro Tools R.I.P.

I'm not joking. If you had ever visited Finland, you would know we're no good at it; except Ismo Leikola who is making a standup tour in the states, currently.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:43 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
increased stability, faster loading, lower CPU usage, etc. is a huge deal,
This is a very important point, I believe,to everybody! Stability.

Whether or not that is the case has to bee seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKay99 View Post
lose my eligibility to upgrade was too punitive for me. There are many reasons to not want to go to the next upgrade.
Probably this is one of the most important points why so many users are "upset": Prohibitive pricing if you don't subscribe.

Subscription or Support plan as a straitjacket! Piece by piece implementation over time to force users to subscribe?
Freedom doesn't mean companies can use their dominance to dictate the rules......but look around, *sigh*...

Concerning the R.I.P:
I remember a time when many DUC users (Shan, Russ,...) showed up "for some reasons" in the Reaper forum....but they stayed on PT, myself included.

So lets see what will happen...

And if some say Avid will announce their HD policy...I wonder what is so difficult that they haven't done this...

So, lets cut the speculations and guesswork.

my2c
Old 04-01-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I still think that currently nothing has changed and I do believe Avid considers us HD customers their bread and butter so I cannot see why on earth they would deliberately upset us...
To me it actually has changed and it does bother me.'

1. If I don't buy a $599 support plan for my PT11HD license by the end of 2015 my license becomes non-upgradeable. That's a big change.
2. There is no announced way to ever get this expired license back on a plan without buying a complete hardware/software system
3. Although they say "flexible licensing" is coming they can't tell me what it is or what it will cost.

Three pretty big things they dumped in my lap (17 years as a PTHD owner) with only the vague timeline of "we will tell you the rest before the end of the year". And now they even release PT12HD and still can't tell me! Truly - I do find this all to be significant changes and quite annoying.
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 04-01-2015, 09:43 AM

We still don't really know whether there is any truth in your post, because Avid has not announced the new HD policy
Old 04-01-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
We still don't really know whether there is any truth in your post, because Avid has not announced the new HD policy
Truly not trying to be argumentative but to the best of my understanding what I stated IS the current policy - if not please tell me where my errors are
Old 04-01-2015, 10:25 AM

I know I don't count because I'm just a humble vanilla user, but the new support model is very similar in my view to other professional software like CAD and engineering software for example. The thing is that if you run a large CNC machine shop you can pay for the high priced CAD software and the upkeep on the license because it is a valuable asset that basically pays for itself. However if you're a one man machine shop you have to find other options because the added capabilities of high end software just wont pay. Avid has either overlooked or ignored the fact that HD is being used in places that want and maybe need the tools it provides but are not the equivalent of a large CNC shop.
The fact that they want people to hold their breath and jump head first into this deal without knowing where they will land is crazy.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
Truly not trying to be argumentative but to the best of my understanding what I stated IS the current policy - if not please tell me where my errors are
OK - I have to give up thinking I understand what AVID is doing... I just combed through the "current" FAQ and now can't even find the word frozen in it! It was prominent in previous versions. It is purposely vague about everything HD and now only says ...

Q: If my Pro Tools | HD Software upgrade/support plan expires and I want to upgrade later on, what are my options?
A: Pro Tools | HD Software customers will have the option to get on an upgrade/support plan through the end of 2015. Before that period ends we will release new flexible licensing options for Pro Tools | HD Software.'

UNCLE !!! I give up thinking I know anything about what they are doing because much as i read and try to keep up - the rules are changing. I am now firmly with you JFreak! We really don't know anything past $599/yr to stay on a support plan.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Perhaps, but meanwhile AVID freaks us HD users out by releasing a complete ******** 'upgrade' together with one initial option: paying 642 euro's every year again or your current license will become freezed after 31-12-2015 and you can never upgrade it again. This is insane marketing, or brilliant marketing when a companies goal is 'upsetting loyal customers and push them away as hard as possible'
Old 04-01-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDorn View Post
Perhaps, but meanwhile AVID freaks us HD users out by releasing a complete ******** 'upgrade' together with one initial option: paying 642 euro's every year again or your current license will become freezed after 31-12-2015 and you can never upgrade it again. This is insane marketing, or brilliant marketing when a companies goal is 'upsetting loyal customers and push them away as hard as possible'
I totally agreed until I tried to back up this argument today and found...
I hate to tell you but (AFAIK) - all written info of the "frozen license" has been deleted from AVID site ...
Old 04-01-2015, 12:37 PM

I am one of many that is not going to use PT in the future unless I am interfacing with another PT based studio that needs to receive my work. For me, I couldn't care any less about new features, the numeral uno top gun important feature for me is STABILITY. and thats what I DON'T have using PT on a 3rd party interface. I am ok with expense but again, if I am going to buy a subscription and/or upgrades, it better work with my hardware. This software made my decision very easy. It will not work, so I will not purchase.

Kind of hillarious to note that about 4 months ago, I purchased Presonus Studio 1 pro. Does everything straight out of the box! The software has absolutely no issues changing sample rates / bit depth / buffers. I mean, thats the way it SHOULD work.. recently, I have been exporting PT projects into Presonus. PT just cant cope with life as we know it. I have to launch it 2 to 3 times to package some wave files for good export.. Once I jump thru those PT hurdles, Presonus grabs the tracks and runs perfectly smooth without any errors. -- Right now, my software decision can be made FASTER than my protools audio latency! takes me about 3 ms to decide what to do about PT.
[/B]GigaByte X58A-UD3R, i7 950 @ 3.07GHz | 24GB | 4 - 1TB WD drives | NVIDIA GTX 670MX; Win 7. | PreSonus SL24.4.2 on firewire400 and RME audio PCIe to MULTIFACE audio interface to PC. | Studio One Pro 2.6.3 | Melodyne Editor 2.1.2 | IvoryII | IK-Multimedia Sampletank 3 | Roland Fantom X | AKAI Z4 | Roland RD600 | Gibson L4ces guitar | Loduca-Warmoth custom guitar | Warwick thumb bass | VOX tonelab SE & LE
Mesa Engineering 45 amp.[/B]
Closed Thread