Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 05:39 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKay99 View Post
If you're responding to my post, I know what I'm talking about. It was my feelings and the reasoning behind my personal Pro Tools R.I.P. The policy not being announced yet was what pushed me over the edge.
Why does it bother you so much that HD policy isn't announced yet? Just curious. I would also like to know, but I don't.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph View Post
I see you're on Pro Tools 11...No hurry then, you have until december to decide. If PT12 delivers something that justify the upgrade throughout the year, then do it... In the meantime, PT11 will continue to work as before.

I'm using both DP and Pro Tools... DP9 will be released soon with more than a few new set of features. If there's no reason for me to get on the plan this year (that's certainly not now), if I can't get a $199 plan after december 2015, then I'lll simply say byebye to Pro Tools, but continue to use 11 if/when needed (which would suck because I love working with PT).
I'm looking at DP myself as a PT replacement. It has features PT doesn't have and with DP9 right around the corner it'll be even better. I haven't jumped yet on DP8 (been working with the demo) because I don't want to get caught out buying in too early on the existing version and having to pay again for the new version. I know MOTU has had grace periods before but with the delivery date of DP9 unknown.........

Something that DP has had going for it and still does it video - it just works, unlike the current state of video in PT11. That should grab more than a few people over to MOTUland.

QAPLA!
Old 04-01-2015, 05:59 AM

I also use DP8 along with PT11. Each program has its strong points and use each program for specific tasks that are presented in my studio. I am a small studio owner and I love you using the programs in tandem. I also feel Avid has been slow in implementing features that other programs have so I use them in DP. I bought PT5 a few years after I switched to DP 2.7 to attract clients in my studio. I think for small studios or hobbyists there are many many choices out there other than PT. Avid knows that and this next year will be a test to see if they really want to compete against that part of the market.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Why does it bother you so much that HD policy isn't announced yet? Just curious. I would also like to know, but I don't.
Uncertainty over what my worth is to AVID and what my investment will be worth between now and after the 'policy' is announced mostly. Also, couple that with the notion that HD owners should be patient with a decision on the policy is ludicrous IMHO. I bought their premier hardware and software as an early adopter and it's extremely UN-professional for the company changing policies that directly affect my utilization of it without revealing what and how those policies will ultimately apply. They thought out the policy for vanilla users, why should the constituency with 20 times the investment be asked to wait while 'they figure it out'?

What if I wait and the policy isn't something I want to deal with? If I do wait what does that gain me?

It may be ok for you in your situation to wait, but not me.

BTW, features, except for a few, aren't important to me. Pro Tools does pretty much everything I need it to do. I need a rock solid system.
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:07 AM

Until the new policy is announced, nothing has changed. That is okay for me, for now.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Until the new policy is announced, nothing has changed. That is okay for me, for now.
That may be the case for you. But AVID's policy reads like this to me, "We're changing the way we do business with you from this point on. What we now know is that it will cost you $599 per year to keep your software current. If you do not keep your software current we no longer wish to do business with you. As far as contingencies, we haven't figured that out yet, but be patient, we'll get around to your concerns soon enough, for us."
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:54 AM

I still think that currently nothing has changed and I do believe Avid considers us HD customers their bread and butter so I cannot see why on earth they would deliberately upset us...
Old 04-01-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
I still think that currently nothing has changed and I do believe Avid considers us HD customers their bread and butter so I cannot see why on earth they would deliberately upset us...
So, it's all just a terrible accident? An oversight? That until now has taken 3 months to clarify, rectify, or simply explain? It's disrespectful, disappointing, and almost dishonest. IMHO.

As I have said. The guys with the deep pockets don't care. It'll be an adjustment figured in with the depreciation writeoff. Then there are those that don't care, like you. Then there are those, like me. When all those dis's get removed, I might consider Pro Tools a tool in the future.

Quote:
...I do believe Avid considers us HD customers their bread and butter...
Then they should act like it.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
April Fools right?
Old 04-01-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwiz View Post
April Fools right?

HA,HA that's good!